Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Thinking About A Supercharger

Hi, you will have to excuse me, i am a total novice when it comes to car engines, what i know about them could be written on the back of half a stamp.

i do however like my cars to be powerful. i had never even heard of a supercharger before joining this site, and i like the sound of it.

do you need any technical knowledge to fit one, does it have to be done by a proffessional, and how much do they cost. just done a google search and came up with supercharger kits ranging from £50 to £2500, so there must be a big difference in quality and types.

i am not wealthy so i can't afford a turbo.

saw an add on a link from this site for a TURBONATOR, some kind of steel pipe that creates a vortex in the air intake. anyone tried one of these, do they work? does the claim of increased mpg hold water?

also, with a supercharger, does the mpg suffer a lot or is it only slight, or does that depend on how you drive it after its installed.

thanks for putting up with the questions, please feel free to go into detail, but please don't confuse me with science and engine talk, i know nothing. treat me like a child learning to read. i know how to check the oil, but changing a spark plug would at this moment be totally beyond me.

Superchargers are about £2500 - £3000 new. They can be fitted in about 8 hours. Better to get somebody who knows what they are doing to fit it though. Cost of fitting ranges from £400 ish upwards depending where and who fits it.

MPG is actually slightly better if you drive the car normally. But you wont, so its a bit lower than standard. You'll probably develop a heavy right foot :P

The superchargers are lots of fun and make the IS the car it should've been. The increase in bhp is around +50bhp. You will be better off fitting an aftermarket cat back exhaust too, to benefit even more. But its not necessary.

Have a search in the supercharger / turbocharger sub forum for all the info you'll need. There is loads of it.

Here's my old thread just to get you started Link :winky: Actually just read that thread and there's a load of ***** in it :blush:

Edited by Adie

wow, didn't think they would be that expensive, i could have bought a more powerful car for that much more. will have to seriously think about whether the 50bhp is worth that kind of cash.

anyone know anything about these air intake jobbies, do they do what they claim

thanks

Up to, means anything from 0 to 35 bhp, save your money, it will be at the zero end of the scale.

You admit to knowing nothing about engines, and fair play. Take the advice offered and bear in mind that +50 bhp on an IS200 takes you to around 200 bhp.

cheers for that. can't afford that much money so unless there is a far cheaper alternative i will just have to stay at 153 bhp. don't know where i got the impression, but i thought that there was a cheaper way of doing it, but likw i said i know nothing about engines. maybe its just the reading of things about resistors on eBay that supposedly make your car faster, even i didn't fall for that one

cheers for that. can't afford that much money so unless there is a far cheaper alternative i will just have to stay at 153 bhp. don't know where i got the impression, but i thought that there was a cheaper way of doing it, but likw i said i know nothing about engines. maybe its just the reading of things about resistors on ebay that supposedly make your car faster, even i didn't fall for that one

simple solution sell your IS200 SE Navigator and buy an Altezza RS200! 210bhp standard! :D

P.S No leather seats though or satnav! :duh:

i used too think there was an inexpensive performance solution too,but after a little time gathering the facts I realised it was very naive of me to beleive that an engine is that simple that you get something of eBay for 20 quid and expect this N/A engine to all of a sudden turn into a monster.so dont feel bad about it just be glad you now know and wont fall prey too those w*****s who blag it on eBay daily.also there aint nothing wrong with used superchargers at half the price,theres always one lurking bout.

There is a cheaper way.....

it's called buying a secondhand supercharger! I can't believe no-one mentioned it!! :D

Secondhand they go from £1000 - £1500 on average, although you'd be lucky to get one at around the grand mark ;)

Mine will be for sale at some point, but probably not this year!