Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Considering buying the new GS as I can't stand the door mirrors on the IS (one reason). What is the best colour to pick and one that is easy to look after? Not Silver as too common.

My current IS is green

Dark colours always suit larger cars such as GS, and help residual values too. The colour range is quite limited on the GS from what I can see.

I'd say Canterbury Blue or Mesa Red.

Love your comment about the IS - that's really going to wind up the IS fans!!! :lol:

I've got a 450h in Mesa Red and I haven't seen another GS in that colour. When it's not sunny it looks like a nice burgundy/wine colour, when it's sunny it's a lovely cherry red - so you get two for one.

Used to have a dark Blue 300 a few years ago and that was very nice but a little common.

The really light colours don't suit a car that big - they look like bars of soap!

Dark colours always suit larger cars such as GS, and help residual values too. The colour range is quite limited on the GS from what I can see.

I'd say Canterbury Blue or Mesa Red.

Love your comment about the IS - that's really going to wind up the IS fans!!! :lol:

Maneesh

Interesting that you say dark colours suit large cars. My Mk1 GS is dark blue and IMHO better than the silvers and greys.

Often you will find many dark blue series 1 GS's on eBay along with the maroon ones, can't say I like the maroon though. I always thought that people shy'ed away from the Mk 1 GS's in blue.

Considering buying the new GS as I can't stand the door mirrors on the IS (one reason). What is the best colour to pick and one that is easy to look after? Not Silver as too common.

My current IS is green

If you want to look like a company Merc driver, or a high end hire car, go for a dark colour, but go for a light coloured interior so you can regret it in the summer when the dash reflets on the screen. One big downside is when someone keys you, it'll really stand out. Another is folk trying to flag you down as a taxi when you're driving through town.

If you get a kick out of spending lots of time outside in the fresh air with a hose or sponge in your hand, go for white. You can also make a packet at weekends with a bit of ribbon doing the wedding run.

I saw a red one the other day. I had to look twice cos I thought it was a Citroen BX at first glance, then I thought it was some Ford beast. Eventually I spotted it was a new GS.

In the dealer the other month, I noticed they had a selection of colour eggs on the wall. All the usual conformity colours, though some with slightly different shades to them. I'm sure some folk days agonising over what shade they're gonna pick, but they're usually the sort who forget what colour it will really be once they've driven 5 miles on a UK road and been crapped on a few times.

If you want individuality, buy white then have it resprayed. You really don't see many AA yellow or pink GSs around do you? How about magnolia? I saw a resprayed mock Tudor Jag (Rover 75) last year and I'll swear it was done in one of the National Trust's Historic Paints colours!

If you want serious individuality, find a taxi ad company and they'll put a stretch pattern on it to meet your needs - I've always been tempted to have them do one of my cars in tartan or a picture of someone sitting on the crapper on the driver's door just to make a few heads turn and folk laugh, or perhaps a few bullet holes on the rear offside (they come as standard in some parts of Glasgow).

If resale value worries you now, don't buy a GS. Just driving it out of the dealership is the same as shoving the thick end of five grand in the shredder. And if you're worried about a few hundred when you come to resell it, you'll save far more but not driving it as much - they love petrol and a tank full will lighten your wallet by 50 beer vouchers.

And while I'm having my rant ... unless you're planning to park in your own sitting room (I hear its standard in some parts of London (house price) or Manchester (car crime)), you'll spend much more of your "total Lexus experience" looking at the colour of the dead cow on the inside than the pretty shiny colour of the outside.

Personally I have a "bronze" one or maybe it's "gold". Only Lexus and the first owner really know what the colour was called. It's bound to have changed it's name by now solely to protect the team of marketing :tsktsk: that came up with it in the first place.

The choice was accidental since I just liked the inside and the toys to play with in traffic jams (radio, CD player & sat nav). I live on a farm where dust and mud is not a lifestyle accessory, and life is too short and mud to persistant to want to wash it. I'm aslo lacking the right techniques to enslave small children into a weekly task-for-money type of thing.

I have absolutely no regrets about the outside colour though. I've found that "Bronze" is the same as "dried mud and dust" so really have no need to think of washing the bugger.

Mind you, green would look nice too.

And the moral of this story? If you've smiled while reading this, great, but otherwise don't ask half-wits like me to pick the colour of YOUR car!

On the same note of choosing a car colour, i'm currently re decorating my house. I wonder if anyone could give me some ideas of what the best colours and type of floorcoverings i should get. Whilst i'm at it, can anyone suggest the best setting for the picture on my new Satsuma Castanet Super Wide High Definition TV as well?

They say never buy a green car because they are worth less on resale - remember those dayglo Marinas? However, my GS is Boreal Green and the reason I chose it was because it really stood out from the others. It looks a bit like drab olive in murky weather, but when the sun shines it has a golden sparkle and at night it looks like gun metal grey - so you get several colours in one.

Astral black or Canterbury blue? My current IS is green with the beige exmoor and I am not too worried about the resale value as I intend to by it on the Ballon scheme and take it back after 3 yrs

The GS looks great in black - there was one being washed at the same time as mine at the weekend and couldn't help notice how stunning it looked.

Not sure I could own one though with how scratch happy Lexus paint is - would end up getting silver myself :duh:

On the same note of choosing a car colour, i'm currently re decorating my house. I wonder if anyone could give me some ideas of what the best colours and type of floorcoverings i should get.

Im in the middle of decorating my house and tho moment and can sugest Dulux Soft stone colour is nice and the carpet is a brown with 'heather flecks in' when its finnished i could post pictures? anyone? :lol::offtopic: