Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Battery Disconnect

Tango

Anyone know what would/could happen if I was to use a 240 volt mains supply drill on my car without disconnecting the negative lead on the Battery? :unsure:

Need to drill three holes in my bootlid and didn't want the hassle of re-initiating all the features on the 250 :blush:

Does the same apply if I use a re-chargeable drill? :huh:

Did you get your spoiler from the States i.e.a genuine Lexus part?

Tel

Yes, I brought it back in this morning having bought it three weeks ago from Sewell, Dallas.. There were five Customs guys hanging around the entrance to the 'nothing to declare' entrance and one was tilting his head to one side in an attempt to read what was on the box, but got through without a check. Had to put it in the hold so I added exra stiffening to the box to stop it being crushed, and it was fine.

Still don't like the thought of drilling two 8mm and one 12mm hole in my boot lid :unsure:

I asked the original question because the OEM instructions say to disconnect the negative terminal, so I thought grounding the car through the mains earth might do something to the electronics...Can't you can tell I'm a mechanical engineer :D

Tel

Yes, I brought it back in this morning having bought it three weeks ago from Sewell, Dallas.. There were five Customs guys hanging around the entrance to the 'nothing to declare' entrance and one was tilting his head to one side in an attempt to read what was on the box, but got through without a check. Had to put it in the hold but I added exra stiffening to the box to stop it being crushed and it was fine.

Still don't like the thought of drilling two 8mm and one 12mm hole in my boot lid :unsure:

I asked the original question because the OEM instructions say to disconnect the negative terminal, so I thought grounding the car through the mains earth might do something to the electronics...Can't you can tell I'm a mechanical engineer :D

no need to disconnect it, unless there is a chance of drilling through some wiring, or if you need to make any new connections, (most connections will be made whilst the circuit in question is off anyway)

most modern day drills are double insulated so they dont even have an earth

biggest thing to worry about is the swarf !

cover the ajoining areas with newspaper, tape up any joins in the bodywork

when you have finished drilling, hoover all swarf , dont try and wipe them off !

make sure you get them all, or next time you wash it you might find some bad scratches, or if they get into grooves they will start rusting !

scarey isnt it :lol:

Tel

Yes, I brought it back in this morning having bought it three weeks ago from Sewell, Dallas.. There were five Customs guys hanging around the entrance to the 'nothing to declare' entrance and one was tilting his head to one side in an attempt to read what was on the box, but got through without a check. Had to put it in the hold but I added exra stiffening to the box to stop it being crushed and it was fine.

no need to disconnect it, unless there is a chance of drilling through some wiring, or if you need to make any new connections, (most connections will be made whilst the circuit in question is off anyway)

most modern day drills are double insulated so they dont even have an earth

biggest thing to worry about is the swarf !

cover the ajoining areas with newspaper, tape up any joins in the bodywork

when you have finished drilling, hoover all swarf , dont try and wipe them off !

make sure you get them all, or next time you wash it you might find some bad scratches, or if they get into grooves they will start rusting !

scarey isnt it :lol:

The Lexus instructions are very specific...cloth tape over the rear lens edges and badges, a cover sheet taped over the boot opening and tape on the reverse side of the holes to be drilled as well as front. Then use a magnet just in case you have missed anything, then air gun to make doubly sure. I think it was the instructions to wear Kevlar gloves when using a Stanley knife to make a cut to the adhesive covering that went a bit too far :D I'm competent to do the work, just blanche at the thought of using a 12mm hole saw on my pristine boot lid :sick:

Anyone know the best way of removing all the carnauba wax etc. before I can use the sticky bits? Mr Morse reckons a well known brand of washing up liquid is pretty effective.