Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dribble In The Mist

Hi chaps,

I have a lexus is200 Sport (52 - 2002). Over the lovely winter months I have been using the aircon and the heater.

Along with clearing the windshield it also made my body warm. Problem is now that there seems to be a build up of very light mist on the drivers side only on the front screen (forward facing window).

The heater takes off the "over night" residue, but I can not seem to get rid of the seemingly light cover of mist. I have used a cloth before to remove it, and that works, until the next morning. It is on the inside of the glass, obviously, and now I am seeing condensation dribbles from teh top of the screen. Funnyly it only happens on the drivers side.... I have even let the Mrs drive the car, just to see if its my breathing that is causing it :D

It is mostly seen at night when on comming cars shine into the cabin.

Is there anything I am doing wrong?

TIA

Lee

Thnx for the swift reply

So you think that the Aircon is the key....

I thought Aircon put moister back into the air? This would make it worse?

The mist is staying there no matter what now... until I wipe it off with a cloth...

I have seen a thread about heated window... is there something I am doing wrong, as I cant see where the controls are

for the front screen...

No, air-con takes the moisture out of the air thus drying it, that is why it is more effective at clearing the windscreen (and why when you put the heater control in the windscreen position it switches the air-con on automatically).

When you switch the air-con off, you can experience a damp smell and also misting of the windows because the water in the air-con unit condenses.

Only the outside edges of the windscreen are heated, you can see the lines by the wiper blade when they are in the off position so that won't really help clear it.

Doh...

Umm, the air-con light isn't on though, and I always have the selector on the windscreen. Only when I depress the switch does the "air-con" light come on...

"and it is strange why it only happens on the drivers side of the car..."

Leaving the air-con permanently would my monthly fuel bills :(

I will give it a try on the drive home tonight...

This may sound mad, but I believe it's your breath. :geek:

Sorry, I'm not saying you have bad breath or anything, :sick: but I've noticed this symptom before on all cars I have had. And I tend to keep the inside of the window very clean.

I never wipe it with my hand even if it's clouded up. Your hand will cover the window in dirt and moisture. I always try to use the aircon or a shammy cloth.

But I've always noticed it's always harder to clean the drivers side of the window. :yawn:

When you breathe, you expel moisture, and believe it or not you actually lose weight too. OK so its micrograms, but it means your breath is carrying deposits of CO2 moisture and other particles. And these simply build up on the inside of the windscreen.

Smokers will notice dirty windows more, not only from their cigarettes, but also from their smoke they exhale. :nuke:

Solution, is don't breathe. :sick:

Cheers Grim

I knew that was coming...

Oh well, one "breathless Lexus driver" coming up! :D

So time to Autoglym time... and try not to do anything with the screen, unless its being cleaned or de-misted.

I guess its going to improve considerably in the summer, alternatively I let the Mrs drive me into work

LMAO!!!!!! :lol: :hocus-pokus: :yahoo:

Or a mask for me while driving, perhaps a helmet.

"breathless in cambridge" Lee

I have noticed before that when I've leaned forward I have misted the windscreen, driving normally is fine.

I would try driving with the aircon on for a couple of days and see if that cures it. I think the worse thing is to keep switching it on and off as the moisture will condense.

I've just been reading an article on the What Car website. It bascially says:

Leave your air-conditioning system on during winter if you want to avoid expensive repair bills, independent warranty provider Warranty Direct is warning.

But it does then go on to say:

Toyota has the most reliable air-con systems, with faults accounting for just 0.5% of claims made to Warranty Direct

>Leaving the air-con permanently would my monthly fuel bills :(

You should leave the a/c on all the time, even if not using it to cool the car. You should also turn the system to full cold for ten minutes once a week – even through the winter if you can – in order to circulate refrigerant which contains lubricants for the system and its seals. Then switch to full heat through the same pipes to thoroughly dry them out. This also blows out any moisture in the ventilation passages where mould and bacteria might be accumulating.

Yeah I only use "recycle" when going through a smelly area ;)

I think I will have a blast with some cold air-conn'd breeze....

Perhaps if I clean it one more time, then this will stop teh moister sticking... anyone used Fog-X its like Rain-X but for inside the car...

-Lee

anyone used Fog-X its like Rain-X but for inside the car...

I used to use Antifog on the inside however since changing to a car with aircon the dehumidifier works very well and I have not had any problem with moisture/fog inside the vehicle. I leave my aircon on all the time, enjoy the more comfortable environment and don't worry about the 2 or 3 mpg, it's a small price to pay to be comfortable and safe.

When you breathe, you expel moisture, and believe it or not you actually lose weight too. OK so its micrograms, but it means your breath is carrying deposits of CO2 moisture and other particles. And these simply build up on the inside of the windscreen.

Thanks Grim!

Im gonna give up weigh****chers and try this breathing lark - thats so kewl! LOC has everything from marriage guidance to weigh****chers - what about putting that on the club stickers!? :D

>I didn't know the windscreen was heated? I'll be looking for that later!

The whole screen isn't heated, it's only the bottom two inches where the wipers sit and up the side by the drivers A pillar. I have been told you turn the elements on my turning the air flow director to windscreen and then the temp and fan to max.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links