Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Member Saying Hi, But Also Have Question.

Hi All,

Just thought i'd say a quick hello! :D But i also have a small question and would appreciate any advice?

I have an IS200 SE, X reg (2000), for the last couple of weeks it has been making a metal-to-metal scrapping sound, which is coming from the o/s rear. I've had the car up on a jack and checked for any visible problems or signs of scrapping and yep you guessed it found nothing wrong!

Has anybody got an idea of what the problem could be or is?

Thanks in advance

Lee

Hi Niraj,

Thanks for the welcome!

I only hear the noise from my car when cornering right.

Welcome to LOC :D

O/S rear you say and only when cornering right? I get the the same noise from the O/S rear when cornering left. I've put it down to the splash plate rubbing on the disk when the suspension is compressed but really need to have a proper look.

just spoken to a mechanic mate of mine who sxtated that the sound is likely to be a CV joint and although he did not go into detail he said it needs to be checked urgently as if it "goes" it could be dangerous. don't know if he is correct, its something to do with the axle i think, but better to be safe than sorry mate, get it checked

Hi Niraj,

Thanks for the welcome!

I only hear the noise from my car when cornering right.

It's most likely to be the rear cover plate rubbing on the disc. You need to take the wheel off and also preferably the disc, clean out any corrosion build up between the plate and the disc then bend it way from the disc until you have reasonable clearance. Had it on my 200 for a year or more and drove me nuts until it was sussed by my local Lexus techie. :blush:

Thanks for all the replies guys, i'll take all the comments into consideration.

To be on the safe side i think i'll book the car in to a local garage and get it checked over, especially as i have my kids in the car alot at weekends.

Again thanks for all the comments.

Lee

Welcome to LOC

I have this on my car, its the handbrake shoes bedding in to the rear discs (well it is in my case) I had new discs and pads fitted a week ago and i had the noise all the time, after 30-50 miles it now only does it when cornering right, each day it seems to be getting quieter.

It was an advisory after they were fitted so i was aware at thats what it is.

Had your rear discs and pads been changed recently?

Aaron

Thanks for the advise Baggy, if i get time tomorrow i'll give that a try and see what happens.

Aaron - As for the new rear discs and pads, i've had the car just over 6 months now and noticed in the service history that both front and rear pads were replaced 4 months before i purchased the car, the rear o/s caliper was also seized at the time and was repaired also.

In your case though i'm surprised the noise isn't being made when cornering left also, as you've had both discs replaced they'll both require bedding in?

Lee

• 3 weeks later...

Well i finally got the problem with my car looked at and fixed!

The problem was the back plate behind the handbrake shoe assembly was rubbing on the disc. Cost all of £50 to have the car looked over and problem fixed, all the mechanic did was ensure the plate wasn't moving and took a grinder to the area that was rubbing.

For those of you who may have the same problem it may be worth taking a DIY attempt at fixing the problem yourself, i certainly will if it happens again.

Lee

I completely agree fluff, if i knew it was gonna be such a simple problem i would have done it myself. But i thought it best to have the car checked over by a mechanic, especially when i normally have 2 young children in the car. (Better to be safe then sorry)

I completely agree fluff, if i knew it was gonna be such a simple problem i would have done it myself. But i thought it best to have the car checked over by a mechanic, especially when i normally have 2 young children in the car. (Better to be safe then sorry)

I think we did tell you what it was most likely to be though :tomato: having had the same problem...that's what LOC is best at.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links