Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

A Few Things To Ask.....

awesomemctawesome

I am in the process of modding my is20se......Whoooo!

So far got the eibach pro kit -30mm drop,

Painted calipers red....decals to follow,

(refurbed 17" standards touched up scratches also)

Soon to get a supercharger from monster-mat (fingers crossed)

Maybe getting a custom exhaust from monster-mat (just like the HKS one apparntly!), what does this offer apart from the noise? Does it affect the performance at all. Is worth getting one?

Looking at front/rear struts, or ARB's but dunno which one to go for.....both?...help/advice please!! :blush:

Also induction kit? is it worth it with the s/c what difference will it make? (sound/performance)

Some of these questions are naive but i'm new to this so please bare with me :D

If you can throw some answers, advice, recommendations my way it will be much appriciated!

Cheers AMcT

Maybe getting a custom exhaust from monster-mat (just like the HKS one apparntly!), what does this offer apart from the noise? Does it affect the performance at all. Is worth getting one?

Looking at front/rear struts, or ARB's but dunno which one to go for.....both?...help/advice please!! :blush:

Also induction kit? is it worth it with the s/c what difference will it make? (sound/performance)

If you can throw some answers, advice, recommendations my way it will be much appriciated!

Cheers AMcT

Mr Morse has some trd ARB'S for sale.

I have a Apexi power intake and aluminium box on my Rs, adds a few bhp, sounds angry! Not sure what difference it would make with a supercharger.

Cheers AMcT

Exhaust will give performance benefit as you will be freeing up the exhaust gases exiting the car. Plus the added advantage of the sound it'll make.

ARB's get both mate. These improve handling greatly especially as you've already lowered your car. It reduces the body roll around corners dramatically.

The induction kit for the s/c will give a slight performance increase, maybe not much more if any improvement from using a performance drop in filter like the K+N. Sound wise though you'll definitely hear the car coming with an s/c induction kit as its quite loud but sounds great. If you go for an induction kit make sure its for a supercharger, not just the normally aspirated (standard) one. :)

All in all its worth getting all of those Mods that you mention plus many, many, many more :winky:

where did you get the eibachs from mate....im after some lowering springs :D

I got mine from SDA in Norwich (Sweet briar industrial estate)

£185 which is retail price from the eibach website.

£50 for geom

£150 for fitting

You can prob get it cheaper, but it was the only place that would do for me!

The car looks soooo much better and the ride is smoother (on good roads that is!)

where did you get the eibachs from mate....im after some lowering springs :D

I got mine from SDA in Norwich (Sweet briar industrial estate)

£185 which is retail price from the eibach website.

£50 for geom

£150 for fitting

You can prob get it cheaper, but it was the only place that would do for me!

The car looks soooo much better and the ride is smoother (on good roads that is!)

Was planning on getting these too but after scraping the stock sides going over a ramp tonight with 5 in the car i dont think its safe. Are these springs stiffer than the standard ones? If so these might solve my bump issues!

Was planning on getting these too but after scraping the stock sides going over a ramp tonight with 5 in the car i dont think its safe. Are these springs stiffer than the standard ones? If so these might solve my bump issues!

Think coilovers might be better, you can adjust the stiffness on them :)

oops there I go again, spending other peoples money. I knew I was picking up the missus bad habits

oops there I go again, spending other peoples money. I knew I was picking up the missus bad habits

So with coilovers you dont need to get lowering springs? How much you looking at for these and which ones would your missus recommend? :hehe:

So with coil-overs you don't need to get lowering springs? How much you looking at for these and which ones would your missus recommend? :hehe:

Not Lee's missus...... but coil-overs are a complete unit, adjustable shocks and springs.... and the fancy mega buck ones can be motorised so you can adjust them from inside the car...

think you would be looking at a grand as a starting price for anything decent

Not Lee's missus...... but coil-overs are a complete unit, adjustable shocks and springs.... and the fancy mega buck ones can be motorised so you can adjust them from inside the car...

think you would be looking at a grand as a starting price for anything decent

Got a price for a set of Tein adjustable coilovers from Tuning Factory in Dublin, 850 plus fitting. Would i be better off getting some lowering springs and ARB's, just wanting to improve the handling of this RWD monster :shutit:

Wouldn't hazard a guess.... some people swear by uprated ARB's but what are your RS200 ARB's this minute? mine aren't stock so i haven't a clue as to whether uprated ones are going to improve things...

End of the day the car is suspended on it's springs and the shocks dampen the movement so I'd expect that stiffer springs would be the first step and then think about the ARB's..... that's why coil-overs are great you can tailer the car to your taste....

Wouldn't hazard a guess.... some people swear by uprated ARB's but what are your RS200 ARB's this minute? mine aren't stock so i haven't a clue as to whether uprated ones are going to improve things...

End of the day the car is suspended on it's springs and the shocks dampen the movement so I'd expect that stiffer springs would be the first step and then think about the ARB's..... that's why coil-overs are great you can tailer the car to your taste....

Thanks for the advice Noel, I have standard ARB's at the mo, cant find a decent price for TRD ones. But are the eibach lowering springs stiffer? Or would i just be better off saving up for a set of coilovers and ARB's? The turbo can wait till i get the bonus in Janurary! :lol:

If stiffness and height adjustment is an important factor for you, then coilovers is the way to go. ARBs are very important, as they significantly reduce body roll, so you have a lot more control in high speed turns and corners.

FYI, i'd say majority of the ppl who lower there cars go for coilovers now over spring+shock solutions, as the prices have come down quite dramatically.

I personally have not used Koni shocks before.

I personally think suspension requirements are very personal. Unless you are very new to suspension mods. And obviously, you get what you pay for, and I mean that very seriously. Its one thing to get the car to look nice and slammed, but the dynamics of the car changes dramatically depending on the suspension kit used (for the good and for the bad).

The only ones I haved used are (from cheapest to most expensive):

Tein SS, Flex (tried)

HKS hipermax LS+

TRD suskit yellow. (current)

Totally honest here, the TRD ones feel the best. The Tein ones (worse with the SS, but still the case for flex), had a tendency to jump. The rebound was not as steady and linear as the other 2. It is also loud .. after a couple 1000 kms.

HKS is a very good kit. Can be tuned for very hard and stiff. The problem I had with HKS is that it can get quite noisy, especially the rear ones.

TRD my current ones I feel are the best for the IS. Very stable in most conditions and linear (even at high speed and less than perfect road conditions). Ride can be hard or soft, altho settings not as granular as HKS.