Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Think I Might Need Some Help.........

Ok got my IS200 about two months ago Happy Days!!!

But seem to have developed a problem sometimes I can not get the car into first Gear I normally find that if i pump the clutch a couple of times it goes in second attempt but when it wont go in it's just wont budge?????? any ideas guys?

Also I have seen a lot of silver IS200's and I want to make mine slightly different from the Norm so what's a good upgrade for entry level.

Ps this is only my second car and ive only been driving for 10 months so take it easy on the technical data!

Thanks!

Hello Jason

Welcome to LOC and hope that you have enjoyable Lexus experiance.

When your trying to put your car into first gear are you stationary and is you foot fully on the clutch? floor mat not under it or anything?

It may be that your clutch fluid level is low and need topping up/changing? im sure somebody will be on soon that can help...I dont even know where the clutch fluid is kept if at all, im sure that it is a hydraulic clutch on an IS.

How do you want to stand out from all the other IS's you could do this by painting your calipers, new wheels, lowered suspension, or a subtle body kit that could consist of TTE front bumper and skirts or just do like me and get corner spats.

A sports or Altezza grill is a good one as both are quite cheap

Aaron

Thanks for the reply

Yes foot fully down on the clutch and when stationary dont have any problems with other gears and like you would have no idea where to check the clutch fluid.

Thanks for the mod tips I just want something subtle so calipers sound like an easy start?

Thanks

Leaving work at 5 and dont have internet indoors (I know very sad) so will check for post on Monday

Thanks in advance!

How do you want to stand out from all the other IS's you could do this by painting your calipers, new wheels, lowered suspension, or a subtle body kit that could consist of TTE front bumper and skirts or just do like me and get corner spats.

A sports or Altezza grill is a good one as both are quite cheap

That sounds like alot of IS' on here :lol:

Welcome to LOC Jason :D

when i fitted the supercharger kit i didnt bleed the clutch propely and it had virtually no clutch but could still get into 1st gear no probs so i doubt it would be a fluid level problem unless there was quite a leak!

sounds like worn syncro, as a temp measure, try selecting another gear just prior to selecting first, i.e. clutch to floor, into second, into first, release clutch. a bit crude, but should make it easier.

Thanks for all the replys!

I selected second gear when it got stuck last time then out of second and into First no problems also I have now checked the fluid level and it's just below max so now im getting worried.... I have also noticed that I have to be quite firm when selecting reverse otherwise it doesnt move all the way across some people have told me that on some cars you have to lift the gear leaver then move it across but dont seem to be able to do that on the IS?

you dont need to lift anything to get it into reverse. The only time you need to be forceful to engage reverse is if there is a short shift kit fitted.

sound like the gearbox is worn - whats it like going into second from first whilst driving because the IS gearbox has a big problem with that.

clutch is about 300 i think...... ? the prob with the gearbox is that it is difficult to go into 2nd and sometimes 3rd - it crunches into 2nd gear - the dealer will fob you off with the " it is a characteristic "

Ok got my IS200 about two months ago Happy Days!!!

But seem to have developed a problem sometimes I can not get the car into first Gear I normally find that if i pump the clutch a couple of times it goes in second attempt but when it wont go in it's just wont budge?????? any ideas guys?

Also I have seen a lot of silver IS200's and I want to make mine slightly different from the Norm so what's a good upgrade for entry level.

Ps this is only my second car and ive only been driving for 10 months so take it easy on the technical data!

Thanks!

I have had something similar on my sport. it happens rarely but does - I got told to get used to it! along with the notch 1st to 2nd gear change.