Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Interior Lights Problem

Has anyone come across this problem before, my dealer does not know and it is costing me a fortune.

When I start the car in the morning, the dash lights do not come on, and the centre console lights go off when I switch on the side lights. After about 10 minutes or 10 miles the centre console lights flash and struggle to come on for approx 30 seconds, then once the console lights are on the needles flash or strobe for 10 seconds before coming on constantly, the dash backlights come on followed by the fuel guage starting to work

What baffles me most is that the rev counter, mileometer and temperature gauge continue to work when the lights and fuel gauge do not.

My dealer sugested that the Battery may be faulty, I replaced this without no improvement. I also replaced the alternator with a new one again without improvement.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem! I fixed it myself. I took my car to the Lexus dealer and he told me that it's a common problem with several different models but especially for the '93 and '94 LS400. They wanted $1400 to fix it! I'm not a mechanic, I'm and Electronics Engineer but I was determined to find this problem and fix it. With the help of another Club Lexus member who gave me his old defective circuit boards I was able to locate and repair the problem. I have repaired several for other people and I can repair yours too if you want. I have some very good references. Please email me and I'll be glad to email you more info on this.

Jim Walker

jimlwalker@sbcglobal.net

I have managed to solve the problem by swapping the printed circuit board on the back of the instrument panel for one out of a scrap car. Unfortunately my mileometer has now gained 68K miles, but I am no longer at risk of speeding tickets, empty tanks, overheating engine etc.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Jim

I've tried to send mails to your id but they always bounce back. I'm in the UK and have a similar problem. Is there a way you can help me? I too am an Electronics engineer and appreciate what you have done to help the Lexus community. Could you send a mail to me at isaac.samuel@ntlworld.com or uses97@hotmail.com . Its really depressing to see this problem every morning.

Thanks a lot!

• 1 month later...

Anyone who has problems with their Gauges should contact Jim Walker. I have an LS400 that had the power meter boards failing ( instrument lights/needles flickering, not coming one until warmed up, etc) and Jim had them fixed by the end of the same day that he had received them - and they work great!.

I ran into a few self inflicted errors as I re-installed the boards (by the way Jim also provides an excellent do-it-yourself remove/install set of instructions) and Jim provided me with helpful suggestions to track down what I did wrong.

In any event, for the sake of an hour and a half of my time I saved over a thousand bucks by using Jims services.

Very easy and professional all the way - Highly recommended!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links