Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Knocking Sound After Lowering

littlewoodcn

sorry if this question was asked before, i did a research in the forum but couldnt find the answer.

i got my IS200 lowered 35mm by HKS lowering springs today, just after i got the car back from garage, i heard some knocking noice from the driver's side front wheel, it happenes when i turn the car.

as i searched in the forum, some members said the problem could be the worn lower ball joint, but i dont think it is the problem in my case, coz everything was just fine before i changed the springs.

many thanks

Simon

straight road and braking are both fine..

it happens when cornering and driving throught speed ramps.

i guess what Brettster said is right, just need to wait the springs settle

I had exactly the same and still do, slightly - I got them changed 18 months ago - so it cant be a settling in issue - I always wondered what it was.....

from one wheel or both at the same time?

ie if you corner left is it the left wheel that makes the noise & right the right wheel?

Could be that is now lower and there's less room for the body to travel on the springs before clunking on whatever part of the suspension it presses up against, less play with the springs or something like that? I noticed the same thing years ago when i last had a car lowered.

But i might just be talking rubbish.........

sorry if this question was asked before, i did a research in the forum but couldnt find the answer.

i got my IS200 lowered 35mm by HKS lowering springs today, just after i got the car back from garage, i heard some knocking noice from the driver's side front wheel, it happenes when i turn the car.

as i searched in the forum, some members said the problem could be the worn lower ball joint, but i dont think it is the problem in my case, coz everything was just fine before i changed the springs.

many thanks

Simon

I have an IS300 with just over 10,000 miles on the clock .It has been in the garage a total of 6 times in the last year with the same problem as your experiencing. It has had upper and lower ball joints ,wishbones,shockabsorbers,front calipers and coil springs all changed under warranty. It still clonks

going really gently over road humps. I've now given up but I wish you the best of luck anyway.

I just had some springs fitted and have a little knocking also. There can be knocking after springs have been fitted as the springs need time to "bed in". Shouldn't last more than a couple of weeks though.

I just had some springs fitted and have a little knocking also. There can be knocking after springs have been fitted as the springs need time to "bed in". Shouldn't last more than a couple of weeks though.

I have been fortunate enough to own 10 new cars in my lifetime so far and 5 varying mileage secondhand ones. They have encluded Austin, Humber, Ford, Opel, Renault, Mazda and Honda and now theIS300.

But I have never owned one before where any suspension component has had to "bed-in" before it would stop clonking. Have I been lucky or is this just a feature of a Lexus IS?

Tony just told me that there could be a few knocks until the springs bed in when he fitted them. I assume he knows what he's talking about - he is the Dr after all!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links