Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wiperblades

I'm kind of embarrassed to ask this question! I tried searching but got nowhere really.

I needed new wiperblades, so while in Halford's yesterday I picked up a set of Bosch wipers. Went to put them on, passenger side was fine, but when I got to the driver's side I realised that the mounting here was different. It wasn't the standard U-hook, but had a plastic molding that kind of clips on to the wiper. It wasn't compatible with the wipers I'd bought. At first, I thought maybe the plastic molding should be removed and that would reveal the U-hook, but a little pulling and prodding later and I decided I was probably going to break something if I tried anything else. Did I buy the wrong wipers? Is there a specific kind of mounting for the driver's side on the IS200?

For the time being, I took the blade from the new Bosch one and slid it into the old wiper. It fits well enough but the slightly different design means that there's nothing to stop it sliding back out again over time.

Am I missing something?

Si

I think you'll need to get that plastic moulding off somehow mate, I know mine were an absolute bitch to get off recently!

Does it not have a little clip underneath to let you take it off the metal U-hook?

I think you'll need to get that plastic moulding off somehow mate, I know mine were an absolute bitch to get off recently!

Does it not have a little clip underneath to let you take it off the metal U-hook?

Not that I could see, but it was dark and I was getting annoyed with the whole affair! It certainly could have, but I started to get paranoid that the plastic bit was meant to be there, and that taking it off would be a disaster. It was certainly fairly solidly wedged on, so much so that I felt it might be glued. I should point out I can't actually *see* any U-hook, the plastic covers and encloses it, so that basically all you see is a rectangular lump of plastic on the end of the wiper arm.

In any case, am I to take it that there's nothing unusual about Lexus wipers and that it should just be a standard U-hook under there?

Thanks Aido!

Si

It definitely was on mine pal :)

I know on the one I've got now I had an absolute bitch of a time getting the old ones off, the new Bosch wipers just slot straight over the U-hook now which I guess is why it has to be exposed whereas the old ones used those little adapters that fitted into the U-hook.

In fact thinking about it the adapter comes out of the U hook on the side with the hole, ie if you're looking at the U-hook and it looks like C then it comes out of the right hand side, mine on the IS had rusted a little so maybe that is not helping either mate?

Picture tells a thous.......;)

Yeah I was just thinking that. I'll see what I can do this evening.

Of course, I'm tempted to just leave it now. I've hacked up the new wiper for its blade, and that will last for a while anyway. I'm just very curious.

Si

Isn't it possible to just replace the wiper rubbers on the IS? Never done it myself, but each time I've had wipers replaced at the dealers, they always say they've replaced the rubbers, and it shows up on the bill like that too at a cost of about £3 each (which they normally just chuck in for free anyway)

Doesn't really help I know, but seems more straightforward than this........

I can't get the bloomin thing to shift at all. I'll have another go over the weekend and see if doing it in daylight makes any difference. There's probably something I'm meant to push and it comes sliding off.

Still, at least now I know that it's *meant* to come off I can be a little more forceful. I wasn't so sure before...

Thanks guys!

Si

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links