Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Thought I Was Going To Be Okay With A Lexus Purchase

stitched-up

Hi all

I've already prosted on the Harrier section - -needing advice for replacement exhaust system for the POS I bought. :angry:

Anyways - -I've bought was turns out to be a re-registered insurance write off, that is actually a '98 harrier fully converted to look and be like an RX300. I now also highly doubt the true age and mileage, as the underneath actually looks like it's lived in seawater for three years -it ain't pretty.

OK - please spare the lectures on HPI'ing, mechanics inspections and so on - :blush:

I hope that the friendly LOC members will be able to guide me through the nightmare that is servicing, repairing and parts sourcing on imported RX300-wannbe's.

cheers

Stitched-up

Obviously you have got a bad deal But it is that particular car NOT Lexus brand or model.

If you are going to keep the car then list what you need on here to see if LOC members can help you.

I have a link for parts from a MK.1 Harrier/RX300.

Lesson learned from buying a car off eBay is always inspect before you buy.

If you got it really cheap then maybe you can still turn it around Depending on what you need to spend.

Terry

Sorry to hear about your unhappy dealings

Maybe worth while (if you've not already looked into this) having an RAC inspection done or something similar to find out exactly whats a problem now and could become one later, you may find that the lemon is not as bad as it appears

Getting parts will not be a problem, most motorist centre's will have or be able to obtain the required parts needed

Servicing will not be an issue either, I have my import serviced by a normal garage, will also be advisable to go in and ask rather than ringing, you can see from the expression if they are not sure about servicing an import.

Hopefully this will help you, by having you the inspection, it may save you money if the car is not really worth having the money thrown away for servicing/repairs

BR

Paul

cheers guys - -

I know that generally Lexus has a great name - -that's why I wanted one.

If I decide to clean her up, the first thing I do will be to get a full inspection and mechanical breakdown to see what's in store for me.

stitched-up

my advice, find a good, honest, and preferably lowish cost mechanic..sounds like you're gonna need one

Terry,

this is the status;

Mot til spring - but I'm told it should never have passed the last MOT

Bodywork is ok - -a few scratches as one might expect on a 99 car.

Interior not too bad generally, but leather was dirty - -I've since cleaned extensively, one small tear on seat.

Service history disjointed but the mileage is "apparently" 55750.

the underneath is heavily rusted - -but is only noticeable when car is on a lift. It appears that when the towbar was fitted the fitting muppets have barged the exhaust to accomodate - -so if I keep her, the tow bar is likely to go - or the new exhaust will be fitted properly.

the exhaust system is in a real poor way. the exhaust has [had] a second layer of cover over the various bulges and cat - these crumbled in my hands. The sensor that fits to the cat has come out and I had it fixed back in.

When running there is a knocking from where the exhaust comes off the manifold and drops down to a Y join. I've been told by several who've had a quick look, that the knocking is from the exhaust [and not anything more serious like bigends/gearbox etc].

The other major concern I have is that for a while now its been running only on 5 cyl.

Other minor concerns are to get to grips with the electrics - -the immobiliser and remote locking mechanisms are all over the shop - deciding on working as they see fit! everytime we start her - -the clock resets to 0100AM!! we're tired of putting it right.

There are more niggles, but more a question of me not knowing enough [yet] - like an under the dash switch that may be associated to an immobiliser, a red button on the transmission console that I have no idea what its for!

I'm sure we'll talk more - thanks guys.

If you can find a place near you that do wax oiling, they will clean the underneath off and then spray with wax oil, thus giving it some protection.

The red button, I do believe , by pressing it, it will enable you to move the gear lever out of park without having your foot on the brake.

The other major concern I have is that for a while now its been running only on 5 cyl.

Other minor concerns are to get to grips with the electrics - -the immobiliser and remote locking mechanisms are all over the shop - deciding on working as they see fit! everytime we start her - -the clock resets to 0100AM!! we're tired of putting it right.

There are more niggles, but more a question of me not knowing enough [yet] - like an under the dash switch that may be associated to an immobiliser, a red button on the transmission console that I have no idea what its for!

By the sounds of things, what with the clock resetting when you start the car, I'd say you've got a few fuses that have blown. The main power switches during the starting phase and the fuse for the backup on the clock may have gone.

The rough running may be due to a dirty spark plug or lose connections, you may also have a few earthing probs if there's been water damage, easy enough to sort out though.

Doesn't seem too serious,just a few niggly problems and im sure they can all be sorted with the knowledge the members have on here and if your handy with a set of spanners you might even save a few quid by doing it yourself.

First thing to work on is your name :D ....change it for something like...im alright jack :lol:

Check the HT leads,once you start it pull leads off one at a time and if there is no change in RPM...thats the one thats broke down( i think)

Guys

I've had a quote for a SS exhaust system - 860 QUID!! :crybaby:

Apparently I need two cats, two boxes and all the pipes from the end of the exhaust manifold tot he tailpipe, including the pipe the runs in from the very front of the cart [whatever the hell that's for!!?].

I'm now looking at comparing this pricing.

BTW -whatever happened to exhaust systems that cost a few hundred quid let alone hundreds?

Stitched-up

[i think I have a sign on my forehead!!]

860 quid is a bit OTT

I got mine done with twin boxes added to the rear, one on each side. with my own choice of tailpipes and it was less than 400 quid. Plus they shaped the rear skirt identical to the other side.

I would do a little more shopping around if I were you.

Hummm The items on eBay are "caviat emptor" and I also bought a '98 Harrier off there. It was converted to LPG, no documents and above all very cheap......... The vast amounts of engine, wires and computers and the gear box can be a bit frightning at first when they go wrong and with something that complicated they do....... However on the plus side, they are just a pretty looking vehicle and with some common sense they can be fixed. Now as with servicing and fixing all vehicles it is best to use origional manufactures parts. Toyota prices are in fact very reasonable and compare very well with motorfactor copies. There is some " snobbery" in lexus franchises when specifying the Harrier chassis numbers, and there isn't much better luck when you go to toyota. Not withstanding that point out to the chap behind the counter that you have money and that's the reason he is there, they will order bits then. If the pretty thing is rust underneath, then this is expected as it is an import and the japanese models do not get any underseal... very few japanese imports have it. Don't be tempted to slap on some stone chip or whatever as this will just trap moisture etc underneath and make it rot even quicker. Do as one correspondant suggests and use the "rustoil" treatment.

Now that will stop the rot. I would check to make sure the front subfarme is in line with eveything as the slightest knock will put the tracking out and scrub the edge off the front tyres. It will just need some loosening from the body and the use of a portapower to reset it - easy stuff. Now for that engine. The 1MZFE engine is a very good unit, but does suffer from not having its emission system pipes cleaned out, leading to high emission readings at the MOT. Always use a fully synthetic oil to help withthis pipe blocking problem. If we were in the US i think toyota have had to pay up for this small defect but hey we in expensive england. The individual igniters( or ignition coils) do track over giving a misfire. These can be fixed by either placing some high quality silicon tube over the full length of the body, or buying a new one. Starting problems are usually due to the IAC valve needing cleaning out. The flat Battery is due to a drain on it. This I find to be the airbag detection system that doesn't switch off after the 6 seconds, always worth a check also check for those aftermarket radio converters that shift the frequency as some persons wire them to the wrong feed so there is always a load on the Battery.It could just be a bad Battery as well.

As for the gearbox, well if it has been ignored for a while I always drop the pan, and swap the filter and ALWAYS use the correct TOYOTA fluid to refill. If you have a poor MPG and it isn't good at most times, check the rear brake cable as they have a tendancy to bind where they enter the rear brake plate ( Who in TOYOTA decided that putting steel and aluminium alloy together would be a good idea?). The parts to fix the gear box such as clutches springs and stuff are available as a kit in the US for about $390 and this kit fixes most gearbox faults. Getting to it isn't that easy, but then.......... There is a great deal of help out there for those who want to fix a RX300/HARRIER just join this and other excellent forums

Doesn't seem too serious,just a few niggly problems and im sure they can all be sorted with the knowledge the members have on here and if your handy with a set of spanners you might even save a few quid by doing it yourself.

First thing to work on is your name :D ....change it for something like...im alright jack :lol:

Check the HT leads,once you start it pull leads off one at a time and if there is no change in RPM...thats the one thats broke down( i think)

Dont have HT leads :o and dont work if you pull one off at a time :o modern cars :D showing your age now mate :D

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links