Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Important Advice For Those Who Have A Higher Mileage Gs300

It depends. Go for OEM sensors if you want to fit them without any hassles, get universals if you don't mind

cutting a few wires and splicing. The end result is the same, it's just the time taken to fit them is different.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends. Go for OEM sensors if you want to fit them without any hassles, get universals if you don't mind

cutting a few wires and splicing. The end result is the same, it's just the time taken to fit them is different.

Honestly folks!!! The connector is just that - it is a plug with a wire coming out!!! - nothing to get too excited over. Just give it a quick clean before plugging it back in... common sense.

There is only 1 wire to join - I've used eletrical terminal block (avaliable in B&Q, Wilkinsons, Maplins etc etc for a few pence) and mummified it in insulating tape. This is a perfectly good electrical connection and is perfectly safe and efficient.

I paid £33 from the States (inc delivery) for all 3 although I have only fitted 2 as yet because I am not too keen on ripping out my carpet in a search for the rear access panel :duh:

Does anyone know exactly where it is before I make too much of a mess?

Please check earlier in the thread for the guys eBay name where I bought them.

Has it made a difference to the mpg? Well it's early days yet but the signs are good. I have done 120 miles on about £20 of optimax which is just under the magic 25mpg I am looking for. I'll tell better when I brim it next.

The fuel guage needle certainly isn't plummetting like it used to

But please do the job yourself - unless of course your on Beckhams' wages!! It really is a very simple and easy DIY job which I would imagine is very hard to get wrong.

If you can change a 13 amp plug yopu can do this job.

Honestly folks!!! The connector is just that - it is a plug with a wire coming out!!! - nothing to get too excited over. Just give it a quick clean before plugging it back in... common sense.

There is only 1 wire to join - I've used eletrical terminal block (avaliable in B&Q, Wilkinsons, Maplins etc etc for a few pence) and mummified it in insulating tape. This is a perfectly good electrical connection and is perfectly safe and efficient.

I paid £33 from the States (inc delivery) for all 3 although I have only fitted 2 as yet because I am not too keen on ripping out my carpet in a search for the rear access panel :duh:

Does anyone know exactly where it is before I make too much of a mess?

Please check earlier in the thread for the guys eBay name where I bought them.

Has it made a difference to the mpg? Well it's early days yet but the signs are good. I have done 120 miles on about £20 of optimax which is just under the magic 25mpg I am looking for. I'll tell better when I brim it next.

The fuel guage needle certainly isn't plummetting like it used to

But please do the job yourself - unless of course your on Beckhams' wages!! It really is a very simple and easy DIY job which I would imagine is very hard to get wrong.

If you can change a 13 amp plug yopu can do this job.

if its only one wire I can get the cheaper ones. By the looks of the picture it looked like 4!!!

can u PM me the item numbers u bought so i can get the same!!

• 3 weeks later...

What do I do. I have seen on www.o2sensors.com a set of 3 sensors for my MK1 GS300 will cost about €300. I could get Universal ones for less.

Does it matter on make? If i get cheaper universal one will they last as long??

Any ideas out there?

Yes Keith, you are right

2 on exhaust manifold, 1 under carpet, just looked at manual :)

according to the manual ;)

heres the figures

@ 20c (68f) all sensors should have a resistance of between 11.7-14.3 ohms

(+B and HT)

if not between them figures replace sensor

Steve,

*edit*

just been out today, had a look, all mine are single wire sensors, so , info not really much use, looks like usa and uk cars have different ones on

The sensors have 4 wire. Which 2 do I measure the resistanec across? THe two heater or the singal and ground?

Also should they be plugged in whilst doing this?

Car Running or off??

OK just tested the resistance of the 2 front sensors.

14.1 on both. They might have been a little warmer that 20oC i left my car for about 1hr to cool. Does this mean they dont need replacing??

I still get rubbish MPG. i get like 280 max in a tank!!!!

thats with motorway driving and optimax!!!

help!!!!!!

The thing is guys this is a 3000cc 6 cyl engine, every car I have owned in this sort of engine size I have seldom achieved more than 20mpg average, fords, toyota, vaxhalls, you name it.

Mine gives 100 to 130miles average to £20.00 of petrol which is about 5.1 gallons which equates to 20 to 23 mpg. I dont expect really to get much more than this really for such a fantastic ride and car. :D

• 1 month later...