Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Another New Is 220d

RedDom

Well My shiny new IS 220d in Black with black interior arrived yesterday.

Looks fantastic, only driven a a few miles mostly in traffic but so far so good. Much quieter, more comfortable and quicker than the outgoing Saab.

Other things Things i like so far:

Its got a Longwave radio so i can listen to the ashes on the way to work!

6 CD's worth of MP3's

minor things I'm not so keen on:

Need to learn how to park again as i've given up the park assist.

Can't reach out the side window to swipe into the carpark as its so high.

Going to loose my license unless i get used to how quiet it is at 90+ mph.

RD

Looks fantastic, only driven a a few miles mostly in traffic but so far so good. Much quieter, more comfortable and quicker than the outgoing Saab.

6 CD's worth of MP3's

RD

Congrats on the new car - same colour combination as mine.

With regards to the licence you can set the orange speed warning to come on at, for example 85 mph. I use this as a visual when I'm forgetting how fast I'm going. You will also (allegedly) see the red circle of light at 100 mph ;). You also get a blue flashing light and audible warning when you reach 140 mph, but I've not tested this yet :lol:

. You also get a blue flashing light and audible warning when you reach 140 mph, but I've not tested this yet :lol:

Now why did you tell me this? I have the amber and the red - now I'm going to want to get the blue for the full set. I'll have to plan a trip to the Autobahns of Germany.

. You also get a blue flashing light and audible warning when you reach 140 mph, but I've not tested this yet :lol:

Now why did you tell me this? I have the amber and the red - now I'm going to want to get the blue for the full set. I'll have to plan a trip to the Autobahns of Germany.

I don't think it works on the autobahn.

try it on the M4 you should see the blue flashing lights then.

RD

6 CD's worth of MP3's

RD

Congrats on the new car - same colour combination as mine.

With regards to the licence you can set the orange speed warning to come on at, for example 85 mph. I use this as a visual when I'm forgetting how fast I'm going. You will also (allegedly) see the red circle of light at 100 mph ;). You also get a blue flashing light and audible warning when you reach 140 mph, but I've not tested this yet :lol:

On an IS220d I got the red circle at 125 Mph (200km/h), it was at night and was a bit surprised, but did not see any blue flashing lights (not even those from any police car) when reaching 137 Mph (220 km/h)

I too picked up my new 56 plate IS220d this week - love it love it love it !!!.

One thing that is disapointing for me (and there is a small chance I am talking to the wrong lexus is220d owners here) is the fuel econ. Having have a fistful of toyata avensis's over the last 5 years (6 to be precise - note to myself - must stop changing jobs so often!) I know how good the avensis is for MPG. the 2.0 16v petrol would happily return 39-44 mpg and the 2.2 diesel (which i think is the same as the 2.2 in my lexus) whould return 40 with tthrashing and sensible driving returned up to 58mpg.

In contrast with grandad like driving I can't get more than 37pmg from a tank - 50/50 urban/motorway.

I assume thing will get better with age / milage / loosening but a bit concerned

Thoughts?

In contrast with grandad like driving I can't get more than 37pmg from a tank - 50/50 urban/motorway.

Sounds about right with a 50/50 split. I'm getting mid forties with a 10/90 split, 90 being motorway.

Have to say that silly warning ring was the first thing to be switched off :winky:

As for MPG well what can you say apart from very thirsty. Still, I'm paying enough bloody tax so who cares if the fuel card needs swiping a little more often.

Have to say this is one of the only cars I've driven that turns heads, people love it B)

I think its pretty weel known now tha 220d mpg is rubbish compared to the leaders in this sector. Best i can get after 12000 miles is around 40mpg doing 50/50 driving, around 35mpg in town and around 50's on motorway and thats when driving pretty carefully. 6th gear is getting better around 70mpg but all in all I am very disappointed with gearing rations and mpg on the 220d. I renew win 2 years and will only reconsider 220 if they have an autobox and competitive mpg. Other than that the car is fantastic on all counts (aside from my gripe about door snot autolocking when moving)

Fellow members' fuel economy experience is exactly the same for me with my 220d. I can't get beyond 41 mpg even at a constant 65mph on the motorway. This is way down on my previous Merc CLK270 CDI which would happily reach 45mpg above the limit. I think this car is very heavy (perhaps the engineering for the 4WD system?).

Lexus know that the fuel economy is a big disappointment, but probably don't know what to do about it. Perhaps they should try lightweighting it like Alfa have promised to do with the new 159.

I wouldn't mind so much if the engine was a gem, but it's horribly, horribly noisy and rough. I'm embarrassed when the engine's cold and the neighbours are looking on, not believing that such a beautiful car can be producing the noise of a tractor...

Jamboo,

You never said!

Is your car now a True Lexus to be proud of?

Tel :driving:

ps/please see Tango's supercar: he is rightly proud!

Actually Tel, it is :D

It's not perfect, but then that's because it's a car :lol: !!

No - seriously it has one faint rattle still - centre dash...but you have to turn the a/c and stereo off and you can just hear it...

Other than that it is superb. I am very happy - finally! The car piffes on the competition, and even though the engine is rattly, it is a diesel!! I've gotten used to the diesels over the years!! I'm now tone deaf!

My moans are minor in the grand schema.I don't regret buying a Lexus.

PS - where is Tango's thread?

Fellow members' fuel economy experience is exactly the same for me with my 220d. I can't get beyond 41 mpg even at a constant 65mph on the motorway. This is way down on my previous Merc CLK270 CDI which would happily reach 45mpg above the limit. I think this car is very heavy (perhaps the engineering for the 4WD system?).

Lexus know that the fuel economy is a big disappointment, but probably don't know what to do about it. Perhaps they should try lightweighting it like Alfa have promised to do with the new 159.

I wouldn't mind so much if the engine was a gem, but it's horribly, horribly noisy and rough. I'm embarrassed when the engine's cold and the neighbours are looking on, not believing that such a beautiful car can be producing the noise of a tractor...

I have a new 220d now a week old having part exed my Saab 93 Tdi what I have noticed i am revving higher in the Lexus and accelerating more as I would do in a petrol car changing gear higher up the rev range. I am also driving a bit faster as I think the car tends to want to go and is so much quieter. My fuel economy today was 45.1 mpg 150miles no motorway cross country slogging. Not bad.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links