Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mintex Pads

mark.w

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are the pads the same at the front as they are at the rear on the IS200?

No they are different.

I assume the IS200 front pads are teh same as those for the IS300? Anyone confirm? Ta

IS200 and 300 pads are the same.

Just changed my rear break pads. Didnt bother with Mintex as I was in a hurry to get them. Picked up a pair of Apec pads which are just Patent parts.....cost me £20....fairly impressed so far and they are still bedding in!

Picked up some Mintex front pads off eBay awhile back, fitted them last week and so far am well impressed.......As others have said, initial 'bite' is better than the OEM's I had on there. Bit early to report on the dust, but so far it's looking alot less......Very pleased.

Keith :driving:

Picked up some Mintex front pads off Ebay awhile back, fitted them last week and so far am well impressed.......As others have said, initial 'bite' is better than the OEM's I had on there. Bit early to report on the dust, but so far it's looking alot less......Very pleased.

Keith :driving:

Thinking about brake dust, Id say my fronts are alot better for less brake dust with the mintex pads on. Anyone got a rough figure on OEM brake discs? Think they will need replacing in the not to distant future. Got a mate who will groove normal discs for me for free :)

I need new discs & pads for the front (warped). Dealer wants about £70+vat each! Found a deal on eBay for mintex disc & pad set for £89, sounds too good to be true??? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LEXUS-IS200-MINTEX-F...1QQcmdZViewItem

What are your thoughts on this deal?

I have the 18" wheels from the styling kit, are the discs I need still the same standard size etc to the standard 17"?

I need new discs & pads for the front (warped). Dealer wants about £70+vat each! Found a deal on ebay for mintex disc & pad set for £89, sounds too good to be true??? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LEXUS-IS200-MINTEX-F...1QQcmdZViewItem

What are your thoughts on this deal?

I have the 18" wheels from the styling kit, are the discs I need still the same standard size etc to the standard 17"?

I got mine from there :D

So Mac, how long have you had them? I heard that they not do as many miles as the Lexus ones, and they said they'd only do about 25k. I've had the original Lexus discs on my car for 60k, never been replaced! The Mintex ones are a lot cheaper though!

So Mac, how long have you had them? I heard that they not do as many miles as the Lexus ones, and they said they'd only do about 25k. I've had the original Lexus discs on my car for 60k, never been replaced! The Mintex ones are a lot cheaper though!

The originals were on for about 95K and worn to just below the limit. Only had the Mintex on for about 1k so far but like em, the bite is much better than the OEM. Obviously can't comment on wear rate as yet.

The originals were on for about 95K and worn to just below the limit. Only had the Mintex on for about 1k so far but like em, the bite is much better than the OEM. Obviously can't comment on wear rate as yet.

Not really :offtopic: but has anyone tried the EBC Redstuff Ceramic pads? Supposed to be a lot less dust than the standard type materials.

Copied from the EBC site:

Since this material was introduced in late 2003, it has received many positive write ups from performance drivers of faster cars such as the Impreza. You can read some of these write ups and comparisons to other performance materials on www.scoobynet.co.uk and www.subiegal.com. This is a truly impressive fast road pad for repeated heavy braking. It emits far less dust than semi-metallic pads and has been proven to stop a saloon car 13 metres quicker than OEM pads from 100mph/160kph.

Features EBC Brake-InTM surface coating which conditions rotor surface and accelerates pad bed-in.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Guys,

I got a set of mintex front discs and pads, me and ny friend who is a mechanic by trade fitted them, they work great but i get a clunk from them. (both sides)

Its a bit weird though, let me explain..

It only happens once when i touch the breaks for the first time either going backwards or forwards, ie when i reverse out my drive and stop (clunk) then when i pull forward and hit the breaks (clunk) , after that it wont do it again until i go to park again.

Does anyone know the exact measurement of the holes on the discs cause they seem to be to big and the disc moves a bit on the hub, i would say that the gap is 2mm from the threads to the edge of the hole on the disc, i cant measure them up to the OEM's as i stupidly ditched the old ones.

The guy i got them off sent me a new set of discs when i told him about this, but the holes on them are the same. Im at a loss.

Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated.

Not really :offtopic: but has anyone tried the EBC Redstuff Ceramic pads? Supposed to be a lot less dust than the standard type materials.

Copied from the EBC site:

Since this material was introduced in late 2003, it has received many positive write ups from performance drivers of faster cars such as the Impreza. You can read some of these write ups and comparisons to other performance materials on www.scoobynet.co.uk and www.subiegal.com. This is a truly impressive fast road pad for repeated heavy braking. It emits far less dust than semi-metallic pads and has been proven to stop a saloon car 13 metres quicker than OEM pads from 100mph/160kph.

Features EBC Brake-InTM surface coating which conditions rotor surface and accelerates pad bed-in.

I'll take that as a no then :unsure:

@ Carlo68 - The gap sounds about right from memory as the "root" of the stud is bigger than the thread by about that much. If the discs are the problem then the wheel nuts are not tight enough, torque should be about 105NM. More likely the pads moving a bit and nothing to worry about.

@ Tango - Don't think EBC do Redstuff pads for the IS so unlikely that anyone has tried them :)

Hey MacRS200,

Thanks for the reply.

Have to say that i think your right about the gap so i sifted through the forum looking for clues and think it may be something to do with the pads or the calipers, i dont think they have been put back together properly. So im going to get my mate to have another look and see if he notices anything he missed.

Do you know if anything needs replaced when you change pads, i mean things like those little shims and metal plates, they all look ok though.

Still scratchin' my head .

Have to say that i think your right about the gap so i sifted through the forum looking for clues and think it may be something to do with the pads or the calipers, i dont think they have been put back together properly. So im going to get my mate to have another look and see if he notices anything he missed.

Do you know if anything needs replaced when you change pads, i mean things like those little shims and metal plates, they all look ok though.

Still scratchin' my head .

not sure how after-market stuff works but there's an anti rattle shim that goes between the pads on the stock one's. may just be this thats missing thats causing the noise (if they use them that is!)

having a similar problem with my calipers at the minute, Lexus say it's the caliper pins that are worn, again my be worth looking into if the cars oldish.

I can't comment with my Lexus cause i just use standard discs and pads.

But on my old car i used EBC Greenstuff pads once and didn't go back to them. I didn't really find much benefit from them, and they produced so much more Brake dust than OEM pads.

i thought with greenstuff pads you should get less brake dust :unsure: :)

You do get less brake dust :blink:

I have greenstuff on mine and althought a little soft there isnt much brake dust at all.

@ Tango - Don't think EBC do Redstuff pads for the IS so unlikely that anyone has tried them :)

Mac, if I'd been more awake I should have noticed the initial post was as the result of a complaint about the Redstuff pads on an IS200 :blush: . However, this was refuted by Mr Morse a couple of posts later so I'm no further forward. I've got Mintex on the IS200 Sport at the moment and they don't appear to generate too much dust...but Mrs Tango is the usual driver and she doesn't use the brakes that much, despite the surprising weight of her size five right foot :D

Just recently put new discs and pads on mine, I went with dba grooved discs all round and ferodo sport pads, what a difference, they're pretty awesome.

And just a point to note, Mintex pads are made at euro friction, a factory just down the road from me, my mate works there and he say's that they are pretty poorly made pads, and that no one who works there uses them on their own cars! make of that what you will. I know lots of people on here use mintex pads and think thay are fine, but just bear those comments in mind, thats the reason I went with ferodo and not mintex. :huh:

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hank B @ May 1 2007, 09:33 PM) </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

dont know actually, I'll need to check, the garage that fitte them got them, I never asked but I'm sure it'l say on my reciept, I'll get back to you :)

They were £155 fitted :) thats for all 4 wheels.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links