Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Now I'm Just Annoyed - My Final Thread

Reading this thread is an absolute roller-coaster.

I bought a brand new IS 220d SE-L over a week ago.

It's arriving for the beginning of March.

I did a fair bit of reading before buying, but didn't find any real complaints.

This thread is a complete nest of them, though, and I'm quite worried by it.

At some points during it things looked up as people vouched for the build quality or service, but then a choir of discontented customers would retaliate with similar stories of woe.

I bought Lexus becaus of the renowned service and build quality.

I test drove several different Lexus before buying mine - 1 GS450h, 1 IS220d sport and 2 IS220d SE-L.

I purposefully took them over uneven roads which have caused my previous cars to rattle.

I have to say that not one of them made a squeak.

I truly hope that I don't have any issues with my new purchase,

and that if I do I encounter much better responses from Lexus Brighton.

My condolences to all of you who are having trouble!

I picked up my 220d SE-L on 5th Jan. So far it's been great apart from the fuel consumption (34.3 average) and the 6th gear / low speed problem. It's early days yet of course but I'm hoping as the car loosens up mechanically (it only has 1040 miles on the clock) these things will improve. Of course I hope things don't loosen up so much that I start hearing creaks and rattles.

How would I tell when the car was actually built? It was in the showroom and available for 'immediate' delivery when I bought it, so I have no idea how old it actually is.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading this thread is an absolute roller-coaster.

I bought a brand new IS 220d SE-L over a week ago.

It's arriving for the beginning of March.

I did a fair bit of reading before buying, but didn't find any real complaints.

This thread is a complete nest of them, though, and I'm quite worried by it.

At some points during it things looked up as people vouched for the build quality or service, but then a choir of discontented customers would retaliate with similar stories of woe.

I bought Lexus becaus of the renowned service and build quality.

I test drove several different Lexus before buying mine - 1 GS450h, 1 IS220d sport and 2 IS220d SE-L.

I purposefully took them over uneven roads which have caused my previous cars to rattle.

I have to say that not one of them made a squeak.

I truly hope that I don't have any issues with my new purchase,

and that if I do I encounter much better responses from Lexus Brighton.

My condolences to all of you who are having trouble!

I picked up my 220d SE-L on 5th Jan. So far it's been great apart from the fuel consumption (34.3 average) and the 6th gear / low speed problem. It's early days yet of course but I'm hoping as the car loosens up mechanically (it only has 1040 miles on the clock) these things will improve. Of course I hope things don't loosen up so much that I start hearing creaks and rattles.

How would I tell when the car was actually built? It was in the showroom and available for 'immediate' delivery when I bought it, so I have no idea how old it actually is.

:tomato: I'm afraid things will not improve, 1000 Miles is enough to run these cars in. :winky:

*mutters something about rings*

Eh? :blink:

Bad joke, don't worry.

:tomato: I'm afraid things will not improve, 1000 Miles is enough to run these cars in. :winky:

that's not true

No!!, In actual fact what you get at the outset is usually what you end up with. ;)

Well mine is definitely improving with miles - both in performance and economy (and I'm sure I'm not the only one). The engine felt very tight to begin with, but is loosening up nicely now. It makes sense that if there is physically more mechanical resistance to start with that economy will be worse.

When I arrived with my car they told me they had spoken to the people there and they were told that the customer had told them what to do!

After driving the car for a while it seems that the speaker padding was unnecessary, and the low d foam is useless, and deforms the vent -making for poor airflow. Also they left greasy hand ( and head!)prints on the windsceen. Waste of bl**dy time!

So - Jamboo - can you let me know the exact type of foam used?

Sorry buddy - not I! Basically I always believed that the rattles were coming from behind the face vents in the centre of the dash - above or behind the MM.

On a lengthy test drive, the technician having sat both in the passenger and driver seat (obviously driving...) pointed out to me that the rattles were coming from the base of the windscreen area, largely around the passenger side. I agreed as it seemed to be throwing it's voice...IYKWIM!

It was at that point that I referred the engineer to the thread from matus and the white cloth.

I left the car with them, expecting them to have taken the whole dash apart, identify/fix and refit it. But on collecting the car, the technician had sourced and fitted the density foam. So it was nothing to do with me, other than to tell them about Matus's fix.

Hope this helps. Also, when you say the foam has deformed the vents, what do you mean? The foam is applied no where near any vents...

@ Lexusjohn - like I said in my note, this is a bodge up, but it works (largely). I think the new IS is either rattly or not, and at least I get some peace and quiet after a stressful day at the "shop". I just cannot be arsked anymore to keep complaining.

I would recommend anyone with problems to get Lexus GB involved, show them this thread, and point out that it is unacceptable. My car now is beginning to "crack" over potholes - cracking sounds from the centre console. It is definitley temperature related.

I think I actually finally know now that I wouldn't buy a Lexus ever again. But that is based on my personal experience of both the product and customer experience. In fact I wouldn't spend so much money on a car ever again - if Lexus cannot give us peace of mind then we have no hope!

Not good...not good at all.

PS - just to repeat - it was Lexus Leicester who identified the fix, sourced the foam and fixed it. the only thing I did was refer them to Matus's picture.

Jamboo

In an earlier post you mentioned having a rattle which sounded like a "sugar lump rattling around in a cup" coming from the dash centre - did the foam across the bottom of the windscreen cure this too? - I've got the same kind of noise coming from my dash but it seems to disappear once the car is warmed up.

No!!, In actual fact what you get at the outset is usually what you end up with. ;)

this is common for petrol engines.

How so?

The piston rings are much tighter during the run in phase, until the path of least resistance has been worn in the chambers, on a very very small scale, and the rings have also been worn where that's obviously not going to happen.

That's even more the case on a v engine, especially when the angle is greater, surely, depending on how it's mounted?

G

In an earlier post you mentioned having a rattle which sounded like a "sugar lump rattling around in a cup" coming from the dash centre - did the foam across the bottom of the windscreen cure this too? - I've got the same kind of noise coming from my dash but it seems to disappear once the car is warmed up.

No it was the centre front dash speaker. This was fixed by removing the speaker and packing it, then refitting.

The foam under the screen has stopped all manor of other rattles through the dash, especially near the base of the screen on the passenger side.

None of this is a silver bullet. If you are unlucky to have an IS that rattles, it probably will creak and groan forever, albeit mildly in the cold when tou encounter poor road surfaces, pot holes etc.

That's my experience so far...

Incidentally I got a call from Lexus yesterday, proactively asking for me to book my car in for a service. it's booked, however, I purposefully didn't ask how much it would cost. I feel another post coming on... :tomato:

this is common for petrol engines.

How so?

The piston rings are much tighter during the run in phase, until the path of least resistance has been worn in the chambers, on a very very small scale, and the rings have also been worn where that's obviously not going to happen.

That's even more the case on a v engine, especially when the angle is greater, surely, depending on how it's mounted?

G

this is too detailed for my knowledge :blush: , but from my experience I know, that the consumption on petrol engines goes rarely significantly down after run-in. Diesels are opposite, it's common that the consumption still goes down after 10.000miles.