Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Now I'm Just Annoyed - My Final Thread

For me its a love hate relationship On a good day its great but hit a cold morning on rough surface and the car creaks and groans.The ride can be very unsettled on these surfaces There is still quit a way to go to beat the ride on its main competitors Thought of changing over to audi /bmw best trade low miles se-l mm with hoshis 25 k So much for good second hand values

alan

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me its a love hate relationship On a good day its great but hit a cold morning on rough surface and the car creaks and groans.The ride can be very unsettled on these surfaces There is still quit a way to go to beat the ride on its main competitors Thought of changing over to audi /bmw best trade low miles se-l mm with hoshis 25 k So much for good second hand values

alan

I was offered £21.5k for my pristine 220d SE/MM against a '56 plated A6, 2.7Tdi Quattro S Line Multitronic loaded with e/leather, Electric door aids, DVD, GSM - the works and only 600 miles on the clock...

They were prepared to give me up to £24k against a new A4 2.7Tdi S-line (with £10k's worth of extra's), but we all know it's dead and buried with a new model arriving next year. Both left me with over £10k to try and find....so we changed the wifes car instead...

My 220d was the same in the cold - creaks and groans galore. It is now totally silent so it can be fixed. Which is all the more frustrating - they should never have let the cars be sold like that. It ain't doin' Lexus's reputation any good at all.

Threads like this don't help, but it is an owners club...

right its booked in on the 16th Jan.

reeled off my problems with the car...

after the second item on my list

the girl on the desk says.".ok..bring in your license and we will give you a loan car".!

apparantly the high idle speed is normal. ??!

and a sales manager will talk to me with regards to poor fuel economy.

fingers crossed

I find the highish idle speed stays like that until the engine is almost warm, then settles. Do you do a lot of shortish journeys?

I noticed today (when I had my kerb banging incident) that I can travel 8 miles on a cold engine in town (0-1 deg outside temp) before the rev's drop...

Also fuel - mine hates cheapo Sainsbo fuel, but sips Shell and BP (standard none of that ultimate or "V" stuff) at a much lower rate.

my usual journey is a 25 mile commute...it starts in fairly heavy traffic.

re the fuel, most tank fuls are from sainsbury's..i have tried BP several times..the times..i did think a marked improvment...but i think i also comprimised my driving style to acheive this..ie driving VERY frugal.

i did get a 37mpg return. however next fill up at BP i reverted back to my normal driving..and mpg went down to 32mpg

my usual journey is a 25 mile commute...it starts in fairly heavy traffic.

re the fuel, most tank fuls are from sainsbury's..i have tried BP several times..the times..i did think a marked improvment...but i think i also comprimised my driving style to acheive this..ie driving VERY frugal.

i did get a 37mpg return. however next fill up at BP i reverted back to my normal driving..and mpg went down to 32mpg

Good luck - do talk to the Service manager (rather than a Sales Manager who will sell it you that the car is fine...) and insist that they look at the injectors...

Having said this, on a 25 mile run starting in traffic I reckon 32-37 is about what you'll get...sounds about right (and very poor). The car is much much better on a motorway (or at least should be IF you stick to the speed limit).

Having said this, on a 25 mile run starting in traffic I reckon 32-37 is about what you'll get...sounds about right (and very poor). The car is much much better on a motorway (or at least should be IF you stick to the speed limit).

That figure is pretty much what we get with the A4 2.0Tdi. TBH the fuel consumption with the Audis has been a bit disappointing after my 1.9Tdi Passat.

Jamboo - Feel for you fella, I don't believe your being petty by complaining about squeeks, rattles or fuel consumption. Let's take a reality check - you probably spent £25k ++ on your car, how long would it take to earn that money? I would be absolutely furious if it was me. A new car should be perfect, and you have grounds to complain under the warranty that came with the car.

Have you tried complaining to trading standards or watchdog about your car? I bet it would make an interesting topic on tv.

Have you tried a different dealer? I know when I had my IS my local dealer was pretty rubbish.

sometimes in traffic i rest my hand on the gear knob (is220d) i have started to get a buzzing noise come from it..when there is light presuure on it...anyone else getting this?

I got it too. I am used to hold something in right hand, so now I hold the handbrake instead of the knob :)

Jamboo, thanks for the pic

I will try the centrespeaker.

guys: to warm the engine up quicker turn the power heating on.

I've often thought about going "public" :D

No seriously - myself and Mrs Jamboo had thought about going to Watchdog or TS etc, but it's at the huge risk of spoiling my relationship with my dealer (which is already skating around on thin ice). I have to say that my dealer is trying very hard to satisfy me and there are one or two technicians at Leicester Lexus who are top notch. They really do take the time to sort things out, and I think I have become "notorious" there :blush: .

I'm not too fussed - I was planning on keeping the car 6 years - but now it'll be another 3 and then I'll think carefully about where my money goes.

PS - SQHD - it was £27,300ish (OUCH)

The problems you have had "are" niggles. Admittedly annoying, but nothing major.

As for lexus losing reputation, not really there are very few cars having problems.

Are they still better than the germans yes.

My old C class was brand new and that went back so many times, friend works for Audi and would sees loads of new A4/6/8's coming in every day.

They are juts made on the cheap now.

its starting to get worrying

the new IS owners on this forum are only a small percentage of the total new IS`s sold

yet almost everyone seems to be having the same problems, ie: low mpg and rattles

and the dealers appear to be getting more and more complaints

i imagine there are a lot of owners, who are not members on any forums who have the same complaints

is this a decline in lexus standards ?

lets hope not ;)

I am really impressed with mine.

I've done 16,000 miles since April. I'm averaging, from new, 48.5mpg. My rear view mirror doesn't rattle. It's a smooth and responsive ride. Corenring is excellent. It's a better experience altogether than my previous X Reg 5 series and my 52 A4. If I really try I can get nearly 60 to the gallon for the first 200 miles from fuel top up. My Sixth Gear is usable at 60mph and above. The Nav Unit and Mark Levinson Audio are a combination made in heaven and when I pop it into reverse, my "executive vehicle" owning acquaintences nearly orgasm at the rear camera view. I travel around 3 1/2 hours a day in it and get out fresher than from any other vehicle I've ever driven. It is, quite simply put, more impressive than any other vehicle I have driven (and believe me, that's quite a few). And all for the price of a top end Mondeo or a Saab!!!

I suppose it's the same as any other walk in life. The "unhappy" people are the ones whose voices can be heard the loudest. Why would happy people need to post to say that all was well?

Perhaps there's a build consistency problem? Perhaps the "injectors" issue really is that widespread? Perhaps the dealers are losing their touch? Perhaps Lexus has got it wrong completely? Unfortunately, I do not see any of this, because my IS220d is almost perfect.

Thanks for listening.

If I really try I can get nearly 60 to the gallon for the first 200 miles from fuel top up. My Sixth Gear is usable at 60mph and above.

Wow....I did a 230 mile trip tday, all motorway and fast A road, all within the legal limit, A/C off, using Cruise and 5/6th on the motorways. Non stop - even with the fog, didn't hit a single bottle neck and at times I was dawdling at 50-60 in 5th behind a gaggle of cars in their slip stream :blush: .

And...46.5mpg. That's with a gentle foot and I have been driving diesels for years. I could get upto 62mpg with the A/C off on my '52 plated A4 Tdi 130 (5 speed) on a similar journey without even trying.

How on earth can you get 60mpg over 200 miles...down hill with the engine off is the only way with mine! Mines had the injector swap out which has made slight improvement to the vibration, but that's it. My 6th is available from around 58mph now (car's done 7100 miles now) and the mirror does shake, but not that much.

So Moog, what gear do you use at what speed? Has the MPG improved after 10,000 miles on the ODO? Mine improved from High 30's to Low-mid 40's from 5000 miles and a dealer told me the same stepped change shgould be expected from around 10,000miles.

I reckon you do have the most perfect 220d!

I love mine - 8000 miles on, gearbox issues aside, it is beautifully built. Try it against a merc, BMW and ESPECIALLY a Jag X type (shockingly cheap) and you'll see.

It is a very good car, with a good pedigree, and surely more engineering know how behind it than many give it credit for. A few rattles would not make me slate something. I bet at 250,000 miles it is still goig 100% strong.

Brian :)

Guys - this is all very nice to hear and makes me believe that my problems are a one off...

:)

One thing though - I disagree that my car has suffered just niggles. When the dash flexed over bumps and rattled the way it did, something was terribly wrong. The fix as photographed is a "fix up". No one can argue against that. And mine is not the only one (Matus).

If only you'd seen/heard it before!!

If I really try I can get nearly 60 to the gallon for the first 200 miles from fuel top up. My Sixth Gear is usable at 60mph and above.

Wow....I did a 230 mile trip tday, all motorway and fast A road, all within the legal limit, A/C off, using Cruise and 5/6th on the motorways. Non stop - even with the fog, didn't hit a single bottle neck and at times I was dawdling at 50-60 in 5th behind a gaggle of cars in their slip stream :blush: .

And...46.5mpg. That's with a gentle foot and I have been driving diesels for years. I could get upto 62mpg with the A/C off on my '52 plated A4 Tdi 130 (5 speed) on a similar journey without even trying.

How on earth can you get 60mpg over 200 miles...down hill with the engine off is the only way with mine! Mines had the injector swap out which has made slight improvement to the vibration, but that's it. My 6th is available from around 58mph now (car's done 7100 miles now) and the mirror does shake, but not that much.

So Moog, what gear do you use at what speed? Has the MPG improved after 10,000 miles on the ODO? Mine improved from High 30's to Low-mid 40's from 5000 miles and a dealer told me the same stepped change shgould be expected from around 10,000miles.

Hi Jamboo,

I sense a little disbelief so here's an image of the "from new" AVG. The Tank AVG is currently running at 49.2mpg. I mistyped 16,000 miles in my previous post by the way.

22-12-06_2034.jpg

My driving style is nothing out of the ordinary. I like to burn people off from standing starts. I tend to rattle past HGV's, 3.5 tonners etc. The only thing that may be different to you is that I live in an extremely flat area of the country. I know from experience that going uphill can severely hit the mpg. Had I not had to, I reckon my from new MPG would be closer to 50. I do tend to cruise a little when I'm stuck in traffic. I see little point in sitting up someones freckle revving, braking, revving and braking when I can sit a little further back and just amble and relax. Let's face it, when the traffic speeds up, I'll be passing most of them anyway. I do tend to stick to these speeds though. Motorway - no more than 75 (my orange warning indicator is set to this). Country A Roads - 60 mph.

That's it. No real hints and tips as such. My experience is that it is far more economical than an Audi A4 1.9TDI. However, I'm willing to concede that the IS isn't that economical travelling over hilly regions.

Sorry mate. There's no instant tips I can give you.

Good luck Jamboo. I see no reason why the dealer shouldn't help you out. If you have enough ammunition about the way it should be (and this forum should really give you that), then I see little option but for the dealer to sort it out. Try Lexus Liverpool...they are superb...even threw in a bumper repair at my 10k service!

Take care fella. Personally, I'm saving up for that GS450H. It looks like a stunning vehicle. The BMW and Audi's will get my money no more. There's no value left with them, in comparison.

I missed this question.

I have seen an improvement on the mpg the more I've driven it. When it went in for it' 10k service, the AVG was reading 44.5mpg. At 5k it was reading around 41mpg

I'm only guessing, but I feel that the car "learns" from you. I haven't changed my driving style, I've had no modifications done, I drive in the same way, yet the mpg has increased.

I wouldn't put it past the Lexus engineers to have programmed some sort of Artificial Intelligence into the vehicle that learns from you.

Perhaps I've read too much Ray Bradbury. ;-)

sometimes in traffic i rest my hand on the gear knob (is220d) i have started to get a buzzing noise come from it..when there is light presuure on it...anyone else getting this?

to be fair to my local dealer i havent given the opportunity to adress my problems yet..although i have mentioned it to them..i was gonna wait till the cars in for the first service.

However, mine is a company car..I always get new cars every three years..this is my first "premium brand" car..the rest being vectras/mazda 6's etc....this is the first one which has had all these issues...or any type of issue tbh...the mazda6 was a first off the line batch.

to date my issues are.

buzzing off gear knob as above

rattle in cetral speaker/dash

the creaking seat

the cracking noise behind dash 20/30 mins into a journey.

high idle speeds

poor fuel economy..still getting 32mpg average.and only popping up to 37mpg on motorway.

would i get another lexus..prob not..i should have gone for the 320d

trouble is having these issues rather tarnishes your view torwards the car..and ive got it for another 30 months :(

I've noticed now its v cold that the engine (diesel0 tale s a lot longer to warm up and as RSCV daz says the engine idles quite high until it is fully warmed up. Not sure whether you have noticed but it only revs high when you are stationery if you take you foot off the break and coast a bit the revs go down to normal level. I think it must be an anti stall device.

turn the aircon off, and you'll see that even with cold engine it will idle on normal level

As I mentioned before, turn the power heat on and the car will be warmed up quicker.

I goota say that I return the same kinda mpg as mooq with 45 from new. my driving style sounds the same, i also set my orange light at 120 km bout 73 mph, i very seldom go over this and use it as the indiatation to use sixth. the biggest difference i find comes from the fuel and get the best returns form texaco , (appaently it now has an additive techron which improves economy and cleans the engine, I don't think its in the uk yet)

PS - Matus - the rattle from behind the vents is likely to be the centre dash speaker - mine sounded like it came from behind the vents at the start, then it got worse...when you pressed the speaker cover down, the rattle stopped. Try it...just press the speaker down a little (obviously get a passenger to do it when you drive/hear it rattling) and see if it fixes it.

I looked closer and removed the cover - because I don't have MM and there is not a speaker in the centre of dashboard. There is only cover which looks like speaker... Underneath is a hole. I put my palm in it but the hole is too small. So now I don't know.

I am afraid that I will have to go the dealer. Hmmm

Maybe I try first to put some cloth inside of the hole and see what happends.

I missed this question.

I have seen an improvement on the mpg the more I've driven it. When it went in for it' 10k service, the AVG was reading 44.5mpg. At 5k it was reading around 41mpg

I'm only guessing, but I feel that the car "learns" from you. I haven't changed my driving style, I've had no modifications done, I drive in the same way, yet the mpg has increased.

I wouldn't put it past the Lexus engineers to have programmed some sort of Artificial Intelligence into the vehicle that learns from you.

Perhaps I've read too much Ray Bradbury. ;-)

Moog - cheers buddy - all of this helps and helps my confidence. Iwas just being flippant and I am sorry matey.

Wishing you a Merry Christmas