Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The New Guy

wheelgod

hi everyone

well firstly i would just like to say what a great site this is, i am going to be buying a lexus is200 in the next couple of weeks. i have just sold my former car which was a ford puma, now its time to move up and get a lexus. i am just wandering if you can tell me if there is anything in particular i should look out for on the lexus when going to view the car, any weak spots so to speak. also what would be the best model to go for money wise, so far it looks like the se would be the best bet. what kind of mileage will these cars do because most i have been looking at are quite high for normal cars such as 90,000, everyone is telling me its nothing for a car of this type as long as its been regularly serviced. i am going to be looking for a 99 or 00 in the year.

i look forward to any advice you can give as it will be greatly appreciated.

with thanks

steve

Welcome Steve, not trying to ruin your new car dream, but if i were you i would not be looking to buy a Lexus in Ireland. You do not get value for money and after sales service is rather clueless! It depends whether your after an easy drive or something with a bit of performance. I was looking at Lexus prices last week and your looking at 16 grand for a bog standard 99 IS200.

If you decided to look at the Toyota Altezza RS200, which is basically the higher spec/higher perfromance version of the IS200, you would get better value for money. The standard Lexus IS200 comes with 153BHP, whereas the RS200 comes with 216BHP. rs200 has better handling and usually a lot more extras. One thing i noticed, that most of the imports dont come with a leather interior. but it can be gotten.

hi guys

thanks for the link chips there was a good few things there to check!

i would not dream of buying a car in ireland as its a total joke how much cars are over here, i am over here for the last few years and im originally from leeds so what i do is buy all the families cars in the uk and register them over here(still expensive ish due to rip off vrt). i was over there 3 weeks ago and bought a renault megane coupe for the bird for £2000 and then paid 1500 euros vrt so in total the car knocked us back about 4500 euros, the same car over here in as good a condition is going for 9-10,000 euros, it was a 2001 by the way with all leather. i am going to be spending about 4500-6000 pound on a lexus and not register it for a while as the vrt is about 3000 for a lexus. i am getting the lexus because i understand that they are well put together and comfy but still have a good pick up over 35mph, you cant drive too quick over here anyway as the roads are in pretty bad nick. i was looking at getting the rs200 but even when you import one you are looking at paying vat and vrt so all round your just as well sacrificing a part of the performance for good financial reasoning.

thanks for the help and i will have the car up as soon as i get it.

i see there are a good few guys from ireland over here so where are you guys from the dublin area, or further into the country and what you guys driving.

i look forward to getting the car and chatting on here a lot more as it seems to be a real good site with a bunch a good peoples.

cheers for the responses

steve

ps is the high mileage a real big issue

Yes the SE is the best value. sport is a little better but may be alot more expensive.

90k is nothing on these mine has done 92K and everyone that has seen it and been in it asume it's done 40K ish and look gob smaked if they find out.

try and get a late 00 or even better 01 as there is a few minor changes that are good

eg stereo

more air bags

speaker grills

front grill

lower suspention

heated front window and mirrors

cant remeber any more

Craig

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links