Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Starter Motor Sticking

Alex JB

Hi folks,

Has anyone experienced their starter motor not wanting to disengage when starting on cold mornings?

My S1 has had this a couple of mornings now, can solve it by key off and re-start but saturday it took the third crank before it disengaged.

Don't know if it's doing any harm but it sounds awfull when she does it. :unsure:

• 1 year later...
Hi folks,

Has anyone experienced their starter motor not wanting to disengage when starting on cold mornings?

My S1 has had this a couple of mornings now, can solve it by key off and re-start but saturday it took the third crank before it disengaged.

Don't know if it's doing any harm but it sounds awfull when she does it. :unsure:

Exact same problem on my '90 LS400. Local machanic says replace starter motor is only option as it's a 4 hour job to get out, so you want to be sure it's fixed.

However, as you have the exact same problem (and mine is only from cold also), if one of use were sure what the problem was, would it be worth trying to fix the motor? My guess is that it is just a lubrication issue. If it were half-an-hour to get it off, it could be fixed by now!

Having just spent a massive amount on suspension bushes, I'm a bit committed to sorting this!

Just noticed your post is a year ago.... Did you fix it?

Dave/.

I had the same on my Mk1 GS300 starter motor when it was on its way out. The solenoid would not throw out properly which just gave a click, and then occasionally once it had started the car it would stay engaged. I changed the starter and have the old one in the garage awaiting spare cash to get the refurb bits for it.

• 3 months later...

This reply is just for the record for furture starter motor problems.

You are know able to buy starter motor repairs kits for the LS400 range.

The US eBay seller is clickerfixer.

Link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1994-LEXUS-...sspagenameZWDVW

There are full instructions and a diagram on what needs to be looked at. The kit costs around 20 US dollars with postage to UK on top of that.

Make sure you order the right year for your car as his has three different listings.

Massive savings on a new starter motor.

Hope this helps.

• 2 years later...

Hi all,

It doesn't rain it pours for me...!

Managed to get the bottom of the problems amounting from the Cam Sensor.

But went to start this morning & the starter will not disengage.

In fact I took the key out of the ignition & the car was still turning over - up to the point that I disconnected the Battery rather sharpish.

I am guessing this must be the switch, but asking if anyone has any experience with this kind of behaviour. I expect there is an ignition relay somewhere

Any help is appreciated as always.....Hope it is not the starter itself. Toyota put the starter where!!! :angry:

Sounds like the solenoid. Cheap to fix but does mean the starter needs to come out. On the LS it is located in the V of the engine I believe and not a pleasant job. There is a link in my sig for overhauling the starter once it is out (starter is the same near as damnit to the GS). can't help with getting the starter out though.

Hi all,

It doesn't rain it pours for me...!

Managed to get the bottom of the problems amounting from the Cam Sensor.

But went to start this morning & the starter will not disengage.

In fact I took the key out of the ignition & the car was still turning over - up to the point that I disconnected the battery rather sharpish.

I am guessing this must be the switch, but asking if anyone has any experience with this kind of behaviour. I expect there is an ignition relay somewhere

Any help is appreciated as always.....Hope it is not the starter itself. Toyota put the starter where!!! :angry:

Sounds like the solenoid. Cheap to fix but does mean the starter needs to come out. On the LS it is located in the V of the engine I believe and not a pleasant job. There is a link in my sig for overhauling the starter once it is out (starter is the same near as damnit to the GS). can't help with getting the starter out though.

Cheers TigerFish.....

There's a chance it may be the solenoid even though the the car was 'turned off' & keys were out of the ignition?

I am guessing I can wire the starter direct to check?

PS Loving TFK - got fancy goldfish myself...you've got a new member in me :D

Cheers TigerFish.....

There's a chance it may be the solenoid even though the the car was 'turned off' & keys were out of the ignition?

I am guessing I can wire the starter direct to check?

PS Loving TFK - got fancy goldfish myself...you've got a new member in me :D

I'm afraid it is most likely the solenoid. Once the solenoid engages it takes a high current feed to the starter bypassing any switches. I the solenoid sticks, it will just keep cranking until the Battery is diconnected, goes flat or the solenoid sorts itself. There seem to be two symptoms, your one, or where you just get a clock when you the key. I used get both happening.

Thanks for the comments about TFK :)

I replaced the starter recently on my MK2 LS.

Prepare yourself for a slow job, theres lots of dismantling before you even get to the starter.

A tip you will appreciate when you get to the motor bolts..buy a long 14mm spanner, the standard

length spanner is virtually impossible to work with because of things in the way.

No chance with socket,ratchet ring, or swivel head spanner.

the bolt heads are against the bulkhead[firewall if you prefer that name] and you are lucky

to get a half turn on them.

Here is something I did to to speed up refitting them.

When the bolts are out clean them up so they are immaculate.

Cut a neat accurate screwdriver slot in the threaded end.

Once you have got the bolts started back in,you can use a thin screwdriver on the theaded end

and 'wind' them back in fully and then just final tighten.

You will only appreciate this after struggling to get them out!

This job is easier if you are 6ft tall or more as you have to reach over the wing and engine

to work[ or sit on top!.

Get new gaskets and carefully plug all open engine intakes etc, dropping a bolt down into the engine will.....well just imagine!

• 3 months later...

Hi folks,

Hi,

the starter for my GS430 2001 was starting to stick @ 112000 miles, it seemed easiest to buy a new one except the cost , so I had reconditioned by http://www.unit-exchange.co.uk/, cost £90, years guarantee, very good service,

Crow