Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

High Miliage

pez1206

So Im looking at buying an is200 but my budget will only allow me to buy a car with atleast 100k on the clock so questions...

How much milage does the car have after that...?

How much is it going to cost me to maintain?

Is it likely to have lots of expensive problems??

Should I forget finding a nice one for under 6.5k??

Thanks in advance

PeZ

I got my IS200 at 95k now its at 120k

I maintain my car at a non lexus garage, basic service costs my around £80, when i got the car i got the cambelt done as 100k is cambelt time, think it cost me about £180 with oil etc.

Appart from mods I have not spent on the car, last thing was warped discs but i uprated those.

I payed around that for mine (i haggled very well!) about a year and half ago...i consider mine i good condition.

Good luck :)

So Im looking at buying an is200 but my budget will only allow me to buy a car with atleast 100k on the clock so questions...

How much milage does the car have after that...?

How much is it going to cost me to maintain?

Is it likely to have lots of expensive problems??

Should I forget finding a nice one for under 6.5k??

Thanks in advance

PeZ

I think it more depends on how well it was treated durign those 100k.

Ex company cars have usually got Lexus service history but sometimes company car drivers dont give a ***** on how they drive.

If your unsure then pay for RAC or AA to look over the car before comiting to buy. Nothing worse than getting a good deal to find its a lemon.

I brought a 82k se in feb for around that money ive now done 92k and I had a full service, apart from that there has been no money spent on the car. drives like a dream and people do not even concieve the car has done nearly 100k. a friend told me that his car mag said the is is good upto 250k as long as its well maintained. Im sure they'll prob be good for more than that if there really well maintained.

look for a good history but mine was an ex bt company car so it may have been a risk but then again mine just shows how well made they are. even if someone may have abused it, you cannot tell.

My Lex has covered over 140k :blink: has the man say's it all depend on the Service History and If it was a company car, (one Driver not a pool car).. I bought it at 130k apart from the service i have not spent anything on it yet..

I would recommed you check out the service history by ringing the lexus centre and getting has much info, service intervals (should be every 10k), timming belt (100k) Plugs (60K) or what ever years etc...

The dealers knew my car well has it was very regular and clocked up a lot of motorway milage my the ex director of a Company.. :D Plus the service manager gave me the full low-down on her and was happy to recommend it to me has a buy.. It always pays to ring around and have a chat... :P

good Luck, and keep us posted.. :D

Dibslpg

Got mine on 52K

Now its on 80 K

I had a clutch put it recently, warped discs, 2 services and cambelt!

Apart from that not a prob!

But the above is wear and tear so im happy!

Only thing is Lexus rip u off go to an independant respectable garage will save u loads!

These cars will EASILY do high mileage, if looked after. I have run previous Toyota's to 150,000+ miles no worries and sold on doing fine, and my previous Nissan Primera was at over 200,000k when I sold it - my current (just sold) Primera GT was at 120,000 and doing superb.

I expect my IS220d to do no less than 250,000 miles without major issue.

Brian [:)]

• 3 weeks later...

I bought 99 V reg March last year 68000 now 79000 on clock £6750 1 previous owner the thing that apealed to me was the outstanding service record and I also have every (i Mean every) receipt since it's birth, before i bought the car 1000 miles earlier lexus guildford performed a £1600 service everything from new disks,pads spark plugs, ball joints and lots more i just couldn't say no.

I have since had a new starter motor but i took out a non lexus warrenty which covrered that

Motto is you can get a good deal just take your time and be prepared to look around

Happy Hunting :D

• 3 weeks later...

I think the 100k mark is a psychological thing - once it's exceeded, most people think the car's had it. Really, that's not the case. Manufacturers design engines to cope with incredible stress over long periods of time, esp. Toyota. The things that do wear are brakes, shocks, clutches and bushes. Well looked after engines can easily do intergalactic mileage so, as the other posters have mentioned - make sure of a FSH and you should be ok, and get an RAC/AA check if you're still a bit worried.

I think the 100k mark is a psychological thing - once it's exceeded, most people think the car's had it. Really, that's not the case. Manufacturers design engines to cope with incredible stress over long periods of time, esp. Toyota. The things that do wear are brakes, shocks, clutches and bushes. Well looked after engines can easily do intergalactic mileage so, as the other posters have mentioned - make sure of a FSH and you should be ok, and get an RAC/AA check if you're still a bit worried.

good point,

it seems that people think the car will blow once the 100k mark has been surpassed! mine is now on 106k and i think its got better if anything.

my dads LS is on 160k and still smooth as anything.

My m8 works for Lexus and says with regualr servicing ETC they will run forever

He has seen cars with over 200k on the clock still running like a dream

That reminds of Triggers (OFAH) broom -

Same broom for 14 years, though it's had 7 heads and 4 handles

Back on topic, I almost bought an IS200 Sport 4 years ago. Tested several, anything from T to demo cars ('52 reg). You really could not tell them apart, except some (one or two) had what I call "loose steering" - it felt like slightly more "play" and lightness and a tad vague. Having been on the forums for a while now, I think that could be Geometry or ball joints, so that I think is what you really need to bear in mind.

One T reg had 110,000 miles on the clock, and was peppered with Stone chips, but drove as well as a "y" plater with 50k I tested the same day...the engine was crisp and the sound was gorgeous...

Oh yes - look out for corroded wheels and dodgy (ERR3) CD players on the early ones.

On the whole Jap engines are very good provided they have had the proper oil changes, filters etc.

PS - my dad always says that mileage does not hurt a car. 2 things cause more harm - the owner (who may have abused it) and the cars age (rubber bushes and seals start to go) which hurt it more, provided it is maintined well.

My m8 works for Lexus and says with regualr servicing ETC they will run forever

He has seen cars with over 200k on the clock still running like a dream

That reminds of Triggers (OFAH) broom -

Same broom for 14 years, though it's had 7 heads and 4 handles

Back on topic, I almost bought an IS200 Sport 4 years ago. Tested several, anything from T to demo cars ('52 reg). You really could not tell them apart, except some (one or two) had what I call "loose steering" - it felt like slightly more "play" and lightness and a tad vague. Having been on the forums for a while now, I think that could be Geometry or ball joints, so that I think is what you really need to bear in mind.

One T reg had 110,000 miles on the clock, and was peppered with Stone chips, but drove as well as a "y" plater with 50k I tested the same day...the engine was crisp and the sound was gorgeous...

Oh yes - look out for corroded wheels and dodgy (ERR3) CD players on the early ones.

when i was looking for one to do my conversion i was offered one with 325000 on the clock and it still drove mint i think the bloke lived in it

wayne

On the whole Jap engines are very good provided they have had the proper oil changes, filters etc.

PS - my dad always says that mileage does not hurt a car. 2 things cause more harm - the owner (who may have abused it) and the cars age (rubber bushes and seals start to go) which hurt it more, provided it is maintined well.

• 2 months later...

sorry for bumping this topic back up again, but i thought it might help potential new buyers.

i bought my 1999 T reg IS200 on 9th feb with 85k on the clock, for £4,800.

When i went to see it, it had shown signs of neglect, there were stone chips, all four alloys heavily kerbed, dents and a cracked tail cluster.

The owner showed me the service history book and all stamps were there, right up until the 74k stamp, all from Lexus dealers. He then mentioned that he got his 84k service done at a Toyota dealer, which i now beleive to be a lie, as the stamp had no date or mileage.

I took it in for a service at an independant garage, and most general servicing clearly hadent been done since the last proper service at 74k

Pads were almost gone, oil was dirty, air filter needed a change, and ball joints were almost gone [very dangerous]

All that cost me £400....

i've since got the alloys changed, to nice new ones, costing me £140 in total.

the moral here is, that although the car appeared to be well looked after be previous owners, in this case the company guy who drove it like mad for 74k miles, having regular services done at full cost with a nicely stamped service book... all it takes is one owner to neglect it.

Having said all of that, the car still feels sturdy, well built and almost tank like. theres an air of brute about the car. regardless of its previous neglect.

Im happy to say that it also hasent taken much to get it back to the speed again, although im finding more faults here and there, most recently the rear passenger side brake pads clip has fallen off resulting in a click noise when driving, Lexus only part, and they are closed till Tuseday, but thats another story! lol

so to sum up, a well looked after car is often more crucial to look for in buying then one thats done less mileage.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links