Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Snow Day Declared !

Andy_IS200

I tried in vain to move mine this morning in 6 inches snow & drift covered roads .... not a chance!!! :angry:

Had to resort to driving the wife in to work and borrowing her golf gti .... still managed some fun with the FWD!!! :yahoo: :hohoho: :hocus-pokus:

I was up at 6am - no snow. Looked out of the window at 6.30 am - lots of snow. By the time I left at 7am there was 2 inches and nothing's been gritted by us.

I did a lovely slide round the roundabout and about a mile from home did a perfect 180 degree spin to face the direction I had just come from. Decided to head back home and try and pick up the M4 from Bracknell and by the time I got to Maidenhead to drop off my little'un, I had been on the round 2 1/2 hours. All in all, it took me 3 1/2 hours to get to work in Slough!!!!!

Guess who's remembering to take their laptop home tonight, so as I can work from home if it's like this tomorrow :whistling:

Well this is my first go at this,so here goes ! :crybaby:

I've only had my IS200 sport a week and was quite looking forward to using the SNOW button this morning

but unfortunately it made no difference, i managed about 20 feet in reverse and then 20 feet forwards, which took

me about 10 mins to achieve :sad: . I ended up walking to work and blaming it on the Dunlop SP9000's but it seems

not many IS drivers get any SNOW action :sad: .

As others have found out before me - 'If it snows stay at home'

I made it in to work absolutely fine thanks to the Racelogic - this may be a good thing but to be honest I would have rather had difficulties and had a day at home    

..... the only Lex owner complaining of not having their baby fling itself around in the white stuff!!! That's what happens when you spend all that money making it flash ... :hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe:

If it's like this tomorrow, I'm sure you'll find a reason to stay home .... :phone:

180 degree spin

Glad you made it intact in the end, Claire!

Little one was in the back of the car too, so I was thanking G.O.D on that one!

Am leaving work in a little while to try and get home before it gets dark.

You must have had a fun journey in too coming from Reading way...

I really cant see what the problem is!!! we went in a mates IS (with sp9000's) into the alps and there was loads of snow, about 15cm fell on our way there and we didnt really have any trouble at all, one or two little twitches and that was it.

A question: What do people expect the snow button to do???

also people bare in mind that you DO NOT have winter tyres on!! which are designed for snow, sp9000's etc etc etc are not!! use your common sense please!

;)

Tut, I don't know you guys in the South, ttchh, get one day's snow and everything grinds to a halt, ttchh, you wanna try it up here in Scotland :ohmy: - we get snow in June! (OK, not quite). Well we've officially given up on the Lex in snow - we've now got (well the wife has) a Honda CR-V for snowy days.

I really cant see what the problem is!!! we went in a mates IS (with sp9000's) into the alps and there was loads of snow, about 15cm fell on our way there and we didnt really have any trouble at all, one or two little twitches and that was it.

A question: What do people expect the snow button to do???

also people bare in mind that you DO NOT have winter tyres on!! which are designed for snow, sp9000's etc etc etc are not!! use your common sense please!

double standards there ! - in one sentence you say you were travelling through the alps with sp9000's on and then tell us to use our common sense - sp9000s are not winter tyres :withstupid:

I don't expect to the snow button to do anything - now that I know it does nothing

It's too expensive an option for me unfortunately to get snow tyres. I think I'll either be leaving my car at home in severe snow or going on a skid pan course! I think half the problem was that it was all 'virgin' snow that time of the morning ;)

I really cant see what the problem is!!! we went in a mates IS (with  sp9000's) into the alps and there was loads of snow, about 15cm fell on our way there and we didnt really have any trouble at all, one or two little twitches and that was it.

A question:  What do people expect the snow button to do???  

also people bare in mind that you DO NOT have winter tyres on!!  which are designed for snow, sp9000's etc etc etc are not!!  use your common sense please!

double standards there ! - in one sentence you say you were travelling through the alps with sp9000's on and then tell us to use our common sense - sp9000s are not winter tyres :withstupid:

I don't expect to the snow button to do anything - now that I know it does nothing

No double standards at all!! ill clarify it a little bit - what im saying is use your common sense when you dont have winter tyres on and are driving in snow - drive a lot slower, take corners carefully, make sensible use of the gears/brakes and pull away slowly - which is exactly what we did and we didnt have any trouble. But we did see a lot of Uk reg cars, with non winter tyres, that were trying to drive normally and ended up getting stuck/sliding!!!

The snow button reduces the power to the wheels and throttle sensitivity it also allows the wheels to spin a bit - but not too much.

not sure if it is just me ( i highly doubt it though) but, i am getting the impression that people think the "snow" button is some type of miracle device that will allow them to drive in the snow without any problems.

Claire, leaving it at home is the right idea, get a second car or take the keys to your other halves. That's what I do, much the best option. Should really invest in some snow tyres, I've heard the IS is really good in the snow, my friend has one in Europe which is great, but with the conventional road tyres it's not worth losing it.

All in all - SNOW DAY DECLARED (In the south)

I don't think virgin snow is the biggest problem, its at times like tonight when its been compacted and its just sheet ice, I couldn't get the car up the slightest of hills.

This is only the second time I've seen snow/ice like this in three years (I live in the south!) so specific snow tyres are not an option for me, everything was fine this morning!

Tut, I don't know you guys in the South, ttchh, get one day's snow and everything grinds to a halt, ttchh, you wanna try it up here in Scotland  - we get snow in June! (OK, not quite). Well we've officially given up on the Lex in snow - we've now got (well the wife has) a Honda CR-V for snowy days.

If only you were joking about snow in June ...... we've had snow flurries in June in Aberdeen over the last few years .... :angry:

Kinda narrows down the summer to a 3 month window .. July - September :withstupid:

not sure if it is just me ( i highly doubt it though) but, i am getting the impression that people think the "snow" button is some type of miracle device that will allow them to drive in the snow without any problems.

Oh is that what it's for ...

I thought the 'snow' button was something to do with the climate control ...

ie. cause extremely chilled precipitation from the rooflining :whistling:

:withstupid:

...and I thought special heaters came out at the front to melt all the snow to provide a snow-free surface to drive on ! - well you learn something new everyday ! :whistling:

i actually thought it was a function that turned the normal summer type tyres into winter tyres that have 10mm studs all over them........... oh well you learn something new every day i suppose! :whistling:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links