Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Car/baby Seats Is200

Hi

I am in the process of trying to get a car seat for my baby which is expected on the 3rd of February. Has anyone bought a car seat for an IS200. My car is a 2000 W plate and according to the local Lexus sales staff "might" have the isofix connectors.

I was at the huge pram centre in Glasgowe and they couldn't find any which they would approve as an ok fit. As I say Lexus might do one and I need to contact the technical department when its open on Mopnday but I was hoping someone here might be able to give some advice.

Thanks in advance.

Michael

i got a car seat when i bought a pram from Mamas and Papas. It is the Primo Viaggio range which consists of a base which stays in the car and a rear facing car seat. The base is held with the rear seatbelt but doesn't move at all. I have been very pleased with it. I don't think you need to worry about the isofix seats till your baby is about 14 months when you will need a front facing one (i need one of these soon).

congrats on your impending arrival, mine is due tuesday week. I got the bebe comfort loola. the reason is that its the easiest to fit just using the seat belts. i didn't wnat to get the attachement that it just clips into in the car as it'll be going between the 220 and an A3. also as the pushcair clips into the buggy frame independent of the car seat it takes up very little space. you won't use the pushchair part for about 12 months. It was my sister that recomended it and she did loads of research. costs about 550 - 600 euro

hi all

Thanks for the replies.

The staff at the pram centre basically refuse to sell you a car seat if they don't approve its fitting into your car. They did have the mamas and papas one you mentioned but according to them it wasn't ok. I'd maybe get yours checked as the last thing you want is it to look ok but as soon as you have an accident it might pop out. I think with that one the issue was the belt buckle was bending the base where they came into contact. The staff are trained up poroperly as they go on courses but they seemed to basically put the seat in place and check for any movement by pulling the belt tight and also pushing on the top to simulate the forces acting on the seat in a crash, all be it with not as much force. The also make sure the belt is fitting 100% correctly and the buckle doesn't interfere with the base/seat which i think the mamas and papas did. I'm not saying the mamas and papas one doesn't fit and work but I like the fact they refuse to sell you a seat if it doesn't fit - not many sales people like that about eh?

Brendan, congrats on your impending arrival too. Haven't seen that type of car seat to be honest but i'll have a look.

We wanted to get a pram/buggy that also allowed the car seat to clip in but the one we're going to get the car seat defnately didn't fit as it turned round slightly when pressure was applied to the top, just behind the baby's head.

I never thought I'd have this much hassle getting a car seat but I'm not for putting my baby in one which the 'professionals' don't approve.

Cheers fluff, I'll check the belts next time im out.

Also maybe the cars of different ages have different sucess with different seats? Mine is a 200 W reg and the rear seats belt buckles are on the end of a wee bit of belt. Apparently the sunken buckles are better.

Mine is is a '51 and I have an Isofix base for my 6month old's baby seat (Maxi-Cosi Cabrio Fix)

My isofix label is very clear on the rear seat behind the passenger.

The IS is quite a hard car to get baby seats for without isofix because of the slightly bucket nature of the rear seats.

(edit: I'm not sure but I don't think Isofix was added to the IS200 till 2001 :( )

but congrats on your new arrival!

hi my baby is due on the 16Th of jan.

we had the same problem, we purchased the quinny buzz with the maxi cosie cabrio car seat, mothercare said this was fine wiyhout a base for our 52 plate sportscross, they fitted it in the car and said it was fine without the base.

also toysrus at the moment are selling these for about £100 cheaper than mothercare

cheers kirkyboy

ps goodluck to everyone

We originally had a Graco travel system - similar to this one: http://www.preciouslittleone.com/acatalog/GRQDTSB.html

You can attach the seat directly using a seatbelt, however, we used the base that came with it as it was much easier to unclip with a press of a button rather than undoing the seatbelt all the time. More importantly, it had fold out legs that reached to the floor of the car which meant it was very secure.

My car is a Y reg 2001 IS 200 and does not have isofix - I believe you need 51 plate onwards for that so I guess you wouldn't have them either. If you are using a seat belt make sure you fully extend the belt before attaching the car seat or base - there are labels on the belts at the back that mention this. It can be quite awkward doing this all the time so the base becomes quite a timesaver.

My daughter is now in a forward facing car seat - a Britax Eclipse Si. The Britax website mentioned that you can get an "acceptable installation" and it seems fine although you have to use your whole body weight to get it secure and its not something you would want to be moving between cars all the time. Isofix would have been much better...

I had an X plate IS and that didn't have Iso fix. My later 53 plate did.

For the record and this is going back a bit now my youngest had a Brittax RockaTock rear facing then had another Brittax when she was bigger.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links