Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Is-f - What Do You Think?

I kind of agree with what you're saying, but there does seem to have been a lot of 3 series owners who swapped over to the IS250 so it is possible that the same will happen between the M3 and the IS-F.....

However, the new M3 appears to be a stonker (following a recent review I read in Autocar), despite looking a little odd (why have the dropped the rear licence plate down to the bumper - bootlid looks strangely bare)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think its an awesome lookin thing,and cant wait to test drive,although i dont think audi/bmw will be taken over by Lexus in the performance dept.The new M3 will have 430/440hp and is designed to cane the latest rs4 ofcourse.The new m3 is available from sep/oct this year and ofcourse a new audi will be launched to cane that.i think the is-f is a great idea,but unless it can hands down beat the new rs4,it wont even be worth producing,if their intention is to steal audi customers.the new rs4 has seen plently of traded in m3s on its behalf because the car completely rubbished the e46 m3 and so therefore it is likely that if you drive a new rs4,you were once in an m3.i dont feel many is-f drivers will be coming from previous performance cars(bmw customers normally only look at audi or porsche as alternatives).also i cant wait to hear the isf,its gonna be intoxicating.I will defo be intersted in it,but dont think it will grab everyones attention.

:excl: It will depend on two things: PRICE and PERFORMANCE.

If it is priced well under the oposition and can near equal them in grunt,it will sell well.

If like many other lexus,it stated to do THIS :winky: and then in fact does NOT then it is doomed.

parthiban,i know i have two family members who have chucked their 3 series for a matching pair of 250s.(used tho,as they lost sooo much on one of their bmw's)

Lexus John,that makes absolute sense-that is about as accurate as it gets.

i think its an awesome lookin thing,and cant wait to test drive,although i dont think audi/bmw will be taken over by Lexus in the performance dept.The new M3 will have 430/440hp and is designed to cane the latest rs4 ofcourse.The new m3 is available from sep/oct this year and ofcourse a new audi will be launched to cane that.i think the is-f is a great idea,but unless it can hands down beat the new rs4,it wont even be worth producing,if their intention is to steal audi customers.the new rs4 has seen plently of traded in m3s on its behalf because the car completely rubbished the e46 m3 and so therefore it is likely that if you drive a new rs4,you were once in an m3.i dont feel many is-f drivers will be coming from previous performance cars(bmw customers normally only look at audi or porsche as alternatives).also i cant wait to hear the isf,its gonna be intoxicating.I will defo be intersted in it,but dont think it will grab everyones attention.

I was under the strict impression it will be more powerful than both the new M3 and Audi, and it FOR SURE has more ft lbs of Torque which is very important.

Let's not forget the 350 is qucker than it's BMW, Audi and Mercedes equvilant, and the IS-F is Lexus's first real attempt at the performance market, so again I woudn't be surprised if it's a fair bit quicker than it's rivals.

Also, I'm sorry but I don't agree that BMW owners woudn't switch to Lexus, I''ll try and post the link but there is a considerable amount of BMW owners who have switched to Lexus mainly going for the IS and RX models and there are even more Mercedes owners who have switched to the Lexus!

Infact on my estate I can tell you there has been an Audi owner 2 BMW owners and 1 Alfa owner who have changed to the Lexus sorry not my estate my area!

the new rs4 has seen plently of traded in m3s on its behalf because the car completely rubbished the e46 m3 and so therefore it is likely that if you drive a new rs4,you were once in an m3.

That is a fair sumation of cases. I know of 2 ppl who did this very thing.

You guys not think that it may also be based upon looks of the marques as well? Some may prefer the look of one to the other not just outright performance?

I have to admit I'd take the RS4 over the IS-F, the Audi just amazed me in it's performance and if you go for the estate version you've got a great family car too!

I also like the fact that although the S / RS lines are so quick they don't go for really in your face styling, yes the IS-F looks good but I prefer the toned down Audi!

I'll take another call when I see it in the flesh :)

I was under the strict impression it will be more powerful than both the new M3 and Audi, and it FOR SURE has more ft lbs of Torque which is very important.

:lol: There is absolutly no chance it will be quicker :winky:

Let's not forget the 350 is qucker than it's BMW, Audi and Mercedes equvilant, and the IS-F is Lexus's first real attempt at the performance market, so again I woudn't be surprised if it's a fair bit quicker than it's rivals.

Who told you this????, which 3.5 ltr Audi/BMW could this Lexus get near?. :winky:

NONE

Let's not forget the 350 is qucker than it's BMW, Audi and Mercedes equvilant

While that is true for the Audi and Mercedes (Mercedes is slightly slower, Audi is pretty slow for a 3.2V6), its not for the BMW - the 335i has the same bhp, but loads more torque due to the turbos, so although not exactly like for like, the 335 is the IS350s equivalent.

However, I still don't expect the IS-F to be better than the M3, it doesn't need to be. In some ways I don't think the RS4 is better than the old M3 - if anyone's seen that fifth gear where they put them up against each other, the audi looks like an absolute dog when Tiff tries to drift it round a corner to display overall balance.

At the end of the day, it's most likely that the new M3 will be an awesome driver's car, but it's also possible that build won't be quite up to Lexus standards and it will ride like a shopping trolley.

If the Lexus can almost match the BMW on dynamic ability, and then go ahead on comfort and build, then I would be happy that Lexus have done it right :)

@realitycheck,sorry i should have been more clear,i meant there are not any bmw drivers who drive performance bmw's that switch to anything other than porsche/audi,cos there isnt anything else really(luxury wise in that price bracket).Like i said two family members have switched from bmw to lexus,but they were not performance cars.so agreed it happens,but no one gets out of an m3 to get into a less powerful vehicle,unless their circumstances dictate it(family/job/house)etc.they mostly go to audi for practicality and performance or porsche for looks and performance or maybe cos they are havin a mid life crisis.

@Pip-for me its down to price,not looks-i wanted something with good performance/luxury oh and i had £20k,so i think that kinda left me with one option,but yeah i see youre point,loads of people like the arse of the M3,and many prefer the toned down style of the animal rs4.

@Parthiban-yes i saw that episode,it was a good one.I saw that 3 days after i bought my m3 and was gutted that the rs4 humiliated it at every step,ofcourse it was only a matter of time,but yeah it was nice to see that the m3 is a well balnced vehicle when pushed.The Rs4 really doesnt like sideways action.

Id take any of them as long as they are cheap enough to buy 2nd hand.

:lol: There is absolutly no chance it will be quicker :winky:

Who told you this????, which 3.5 ltr Audi/BMW could this Lexus get near?. :winky:

NONE

I thought this mind be interesting reading, this is the fairest comparison because is you compare the 335i with the Turbo's that's unfair, because the IS 350 has no turbo's, allthough the BMW is .2 less in cc I think the gab in performance is to big for it to make it up with an extra .2 cc, especially the 0-60 mph and 1/4 mile figures.

Specifications and Performance

2006 BMW 330i

Vehicle Type:

Model Year: 2006

Make: BMW

Model: 330i

Style: 4-door sedan

Base Price: $36,995

Price as Tested: $47,390

Drive Type: Rear-wheel Drive

Transmission Type: Six-speed automanual

Displacement (liters): 3.0

Engine Type: Inline six

Horsepower (hp @ rpm): 255 @ 6600

Torque (ft-lb @ rpm): 220 @ 2750

Braking System: Four wheel discs with ABS

Steering System: Rack-and-pinion w/ variable ratio and effort

Suspension Type (front): Independent w/ stabilizer bar

Suspension Type (rear): Independent w/ stabilizer bar

Tire Size (front): 225/40ZR18

Tire Size (rear): 255/35/ZR18

Tire Brand: Bridgestone

Tire Model: Potenza RE050A

Curb Weight (lbs.): 3450

Recommended Fuel: Premium

Fuel Tank Capacity (gal): 15.9

EPA Fuel Economy (mpg): 21 City 29 Highway

Edmunds Observed (mpg): 21.7

Conditions for Testing:

Temperature (Fahrenheit): 58 degrees F

Humidity: 30.15 in. Hg

Elevation (ft): 1100 ft.

Wind: 7 mph from the West

Performance:

0 - 30 (sec): 2.5

0 - 45 (sec): 4.4

0 - 60 (sec): 6.7

0 - 75 (sec): 9.8

1/4 Mile (sec @ mph): 14.7 @ 96 mph

30 - 0 (ft): 28

60 - 0 (ft): 112

Braking Rating: (Excellent, Good, Average, Poor or Very Poor) Good

Slalom (mph): 67.4

Skidpad: .92g

Turning Circle (ft), curb-to-curb: Note Tested

Handling Rating: (Excellent, Good, Average, Poor or Very Poor) Good

Db @ Idle: 46

Db @ Full Throttle: 72

Db @ 70 mph Cruise: 67

Specifications:

Length: 178.2 in.

Width: 71.5 in.

Height: 55.9 in.

Wheelbase: 108.7 in.

Legroom (front): 41.5 in.

Legroom (rear): 34.6 in.

Headroom (front): 37.4 in.

Headroom (rear): 37.4 in.

Maximum Seating Capacity: 5

Cargo Volume: 12 cubic feet

Maximum Cargo Volume (rear seats down): N/A

Warranty Information:

Bumper-to-Bumper: 4 years/50,000 miles

Power Train: 4 years/50,000 miles

Corrosion: 12 years/Unlimited miles

Roadside Assistance: 4 years/50,000 miles

Scheduled Maintenance: 4 years/50,000 miles

Safety Information:

Front Airbags: Standard

Side Airbags: Standard

Head Airbags: Standard

Antilock Brakes: Standard

Electronic Brake Enhancements: Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD), Brake Assist

Traction Control: Standard

Stability Control: Standard

Rollover Protection: N/A

Emergency Assistance System: N/A

NHTSA Crash Test Driver: Not Tested

NHTSA Crash Test Passenger: Not Tested

NHTSA Crash Test Side Front: Not Tested

NHTSA Crash Test Side Rear: Not Tested

NHTSA Rollover: 4 Stars

IIHS Offset: Not Tested

Specifications and Performance

2006 Lexus IS 350

Vehicle Type:

Model Year: 2006

Make: Lexus

Model: IS 350

Style: 4-door sedan

Base Price: $36,030

Price as Tested: $45,508

Drive Type: Rear-wheel Drive

Transmission Type: Six-speed automanual

Displacement (liters): 3.5

Engine Type: V6

Horsepower (hp @ rpm): 306 @ 6,400

Torque (ft-lb @ rpm): 277 @ 4,800

Braking System: Four wheel discs with ABS

Steering System: Rack-and-pinion

Suspension Type (front): Independent w/ stabilizer bar

Suspension Type (rear): Independent w/ stabilizer bar

Tire Size (front): 225/40YR18

Tire Size (rear): 255/40YR18

Tire Brand: Dunlop

Tire Model: SP Sport Maxx

Curb Weight (lbs.): 3527

Recommended Fuel: Premium

Fuel Tank Capacity (gal): 17.1

EPA Fuel Economy (mpg): 21 City 28 Highway

Edmunds Observed (mpg): 18

Conditions for Testing:

Temperature (Fahrenheit): 60 degrees F

Humidity: 30.15 in. Hg

Elevation (ft): 1100 ft.

Wind: 0 to 4 from the West

Performance:

0 - 30 (sec): 2.4

0 - 45 (sec): 3.9

0 - 60 (sec): 5.6

0 - 75 (sec): 8.1

1/4 Mile (sec @ mph): 13.9 @ 101

30 - 0 (ft): 30

60 - 0 (ft): 120

Braking Rating: (Excellent, Good, Average, Poor or Very Poor) Good

Slalom (mph): 66.4

Skidpad .88g

Turning Circle (ft), curb-to-curb: Not Tested

Handling Rating: (Excellent, Good, Average, Poor or Very Poor) Good

Db @ Idle: 40

Db @ Full Throttle: 73

Db @ 70 mph Cruise: 68

Specifications:

Length: 180.1 in.

Width: 70.9 in.

Height: 56.1 in.

Wheelbase: 107.5 in.

Legroom (front): 43.9 in.

Legroom (rear): 30.6 in.

Headroom (front): 37.2 in.

Headroom (rear): 36.7 in.

Maximum Seating Capacity: 5

Cargo Volume: 13 cubic feet

Maximum Cargo Volume (rear seats down): N/A

Warranty Information:

Bumper-to-Bumper: 4 years / 50,000 miles

Power Train: 6 years / 70,000 miles

Corrosion: 6 years / Unlimited miles

Roadside Assistance: 4 years / Unlimited miles

Scheduled Maintenance: First service (7,500 miles) free

Safety Information:

Front Airbags: Standard

Side Airbags: Standard

Head Airbags: Standard

Antilock Brakes: Standard

Electronic Brake Enhancements: Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD), BrakeAssist.

Traction Control: Standard

Stability Control: Standard

Rollover Protection: N/A

Emergency Assistance System: N/A

NHTSA Crash Test Driver: Not Tested

NHTSA Crash Test Passenger: Not Tested

NHTSA Crash Test Side Front: Not Tested

NHTSA Crash Test Side Rear: Not Tested

NHTSA Rollover: Not Tested

IIHS Offset: Not Tested

Realitycheck77, that was some post:

Here in UK, ALL Lexus cars NEVER come anywhere near there supposed 0-60 figures.

The BMW 3.0i covers 0-60 in 6.0 dead in the UK.(BMW's are usually quicker than quoted)

The closest Audi is the A4 3.2 none turbo and that gives 0-60 in 6.4

The new LS460 reputed to cover 0-60 in UNDER 5.5, we tested on a track and it would NOT make 6.5 never mind 5.5

The GS 430 V8 only manages 6.1 secs too 60MPH

We do not get the 350 in the UK but I cant see it past the V8 can you?.

I hope the "f" IS is very fast, as if it is I will be very interested. :winky:

Best regards :)

Realitycheck77, that was some post:

Here in UK, ALL Lexus cars NEVER come anywhere near there supposed 0-60 figures.

The BMW 3.0i covers 0-60 in 6.0 dead in the UK.(BMW's are usually quicker than quoted)

The closest Audi is the A4 3.2 none turbo and that gives 0-60 in 6.4

The new LS460 reputed to cover 0-60 in UNDER 5.5, we tested on a track and it would NOT make 6.5 never mind 5.5

The GS 430 V8 only manages 6.1 secs too 60MPH

We do not get the 350 in the UK but I cant see it past the V8 can you?.

I hope the "f" IS is very fast, as if it is I will be very interested. :winky:

Best regards :)

Got this off clublexus:

IS350 0-60 times:

C&D: 5.1s

MT: 5.5s

R&T: 6.0s

Edmunds: 6.1s

If different magazines can get so much variation (a whole second) in times, then your test on an LS460 is not important at all. It all depends on the conditions, go do it on another day, and you might get a time quicker than the quoted figure.

The C55 AMG with 367hp, does 0-60 in 5.2, so this should be able to get around 5 with over 400bhp. Don't see why its such a big mystery - how far it gets under 5 seconds is what I'm waiting to see :winky:

The only thing that is more hit and miss is its handling - this is where a lot more can go wrong and I hope they've got it right

As someone who sold an E46 M3 to buy a Lexus IS250 SEL, I have to say that I am delighted. Given that the IS250 despite its many merits has only 209 bhp, the IS-F cannot arrive soon enough.

I don't want to knock the IS250, however. It is the best car I've ever owned. I just drove from London to Bologna in 15 hours straight in the Lexus. The journey actually took 2 hours less than my best ever time in the M3, not because it was faster, but because the SATNAV is absolutely brilliant and selecting alternative routes when you hit a blockage. (I told it to avoid motorways for 50 miles and regained lost time after an accident on A26 in France.)

More to the point, I arrived feeling less tired. The Lexus is seriously comfortable. Of course, the penalty you pay for a less harsh ride is handling that is less planted. You can't fling an IS around the way you can a 3-Series, and especially an M3, but as a day-to-day driver I'm afraid I prefer the IS. You feel spoilt every time you get in the thing.

The Lexus also has one other advantage, people let you out at busy junctions. I never realised how much BMW drivers are universally hated until I bought a Lexus.

If the IS350 were available in the Uk, I would have bought one instead of my 250. Sadly it isn't. I've spoken to my Lexus dealer and he says that the IS-F will be coming to the UK in 2008, although he doesn't know exactly when.

I've heard that the next M3 will cost between £45 and£50K, so am expecting an IS-F price of £40K-£45K. I think Lexus can afford to charge a bit more for a V8 than BMW charged for its 6-cylinder in-line motor in the last M3, but with a new 350 bhp Audi S4 only a year behind it, which is likely to cost £40K-£45K, the IS-F cannot be too expensive. As soon as i know what it'll cost, my order goes in.

The only thing not to like about the IS-F is its ricey styling. The side sills and slits behind front wheels look like after-market add-ons, not like a truly integrated design. The interior is also way too bling. Thankfully a black version will also be available.

The only real problem with the IS-F is the LF-A. This is just so darned sexy, I think I'll have to mortgage my soul to get one instead. Whatever I get next, it won't be an E90 M3. Why on earth would I buy a car that is engineered around the lowest possible manufacturing cost rather than a pursuit of quality?

TailPipe,I must agree with you on BMW's, I test drove the latest M5 this afternoon, Aw Crist gave me a headache in only 30 miles, all noise NO go, 6000 RPM and it's just waking up!!!

No good to me. I am also "hoping" this 500F will really go and handle,if so I'm in. :lol:

tailpipe,why did you have an e46,if you like comfort?i have one and its certainly not interested in comfort,just wondering.The M3 and M5,drive the way they drive cos you have to feel the entire road,have you ever driven a 996/997 ,i can tell you it drives like a sainsburys shopping trolley on these potholed roads,and thats a porsche,approx £20k more than a brand new e46.my women cantt wait to get out of them.The new m3 and latest m5 are the cars of the future and i would rather put my money on someone who has been doing performance cars for years, rather than a company that is all about luxury and has just woken up to the idea.

and yeah m cars dont wake up until 5000/6000rpm

tailpipe,why did you have an e46,if you like comfort?i have one and its certainly not interested in comfort,just wondering.The M3 and M5,drive the way they drive cos you have to feel the entire road,have you ever driven a 996/997 ,i can tell you it drives like a sainsburys shopping trolley on these potholed roads,and thats a porsche,approx £20k more than a brand new e46.my women cantt wait to get out of them.The new m3 and latest m5 are the cars of the future and i would rather put my money on someone who has been doing performance cars for years, rather than a company that is all about luxury and has just woken up to the idea.

and yeah m cars dont wake up until 5000/6000rpm

Rsarin,

Don't get me wrong, comfort wasn't the main reason for choosing a Lexus; more important were engineering integrity, dynamic ability and build quality. Comfort was an unexpected by-product. I just didn't expect a car that was so capable on the road to offer such a great ride. My previous M3 rode better on 18 inch alloys than 19 inch ones, but even so pot holes and bumps could really unsettle it. What destroyed my relationship with it was that on a long journey from France, the traction control failed. It was wet and the car became terrifying to drive. This was the last straw after a series of problems. During the course of three years ownership the engine broke, twice. The electrics failed three times. And the interior trim started to fall off after just two years - BMW apparently had changed to a new type of interior glue because it was cheaper. This was a false economy in my book, because they lost a loyal customer. You just don't expect these sorts of things to go wrong in a £43K car.

I think my real reason for the shift to Lexus is that electronics are becoming an increasingly central part of car manufacture. While the engineering challenge still requires manufacturers to get the basic dynamic qualities of a vehicle right (weight distribution, ride, handling steering, balance, braking and quality), every German car I've owned has had electronic gremlins. Not so with Japanese cars. The Japanese really get electronics. If they can engineer incredibly complex electro-mechanical systems to function perfectly, year after year, then producing a firebreathing M3 challenger should pose little problem.

Lexus can't afford to screw-up in producing an M3 challenger - although, however good it is, all of the motoring pundits will say it is inferior - so Lexus will over-engineer the IS-F and LF-A cars. They'll be fast, safe, comfortable and reliable while the quality will be shame Porsche, let alone Bentley and Aston-Martin.

(I don't like Porsches. Three friends have had fatal crashes in them. The engine is in the worst possible position. Drive one on a sandy beach (a la Clarkson) next to a front mid-engine car and you'll see the difference. But they are well made)

• 2 weeks later...

I just got this link today it's the IS-F being revved back stage, i think the persons only revving it up to about 5 and half rpm, even though the sound quality is not all that good, I must say that engine sounds "kick *****".

It's smooth and punchy but you can tell that's going to be a beast.

Enjoy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8k34oOSkPQ

The dials aren't to bad either.

• 5 weeks later...

I've just had some info on the performance figures for the IS-F.

The latest news is, it will have, for sure, more power and torque than both the RS4 and M3. The performance figures quoted on the launch were not accurate, Lexus are now suggesting performance to be as follows:

360+ ft lbs of torque

0-60 mph - 4.6 seconds

Top Speed - 168 mph (governed)

So on paper it is more powerful and quicker than it's rivals, the inside informatives suggest it will deliver this on the track aswell, we will have to wait and see!

I've now had a chance to see some videos of the IS F and again I must confess the car looks AWESOME!

Apart from one set of shots that are going around, which don't do the car justice at all, all the other pics I've seen and videos I've seen IMO the car looks way better than it's rivals and looks AWESOME in it's own right.

Can't wait to see one on the road.

Lexus changed the history books some 18+ years ago within the motor industry and I believe they are about to do same again!

good stuff,it may be quicker than the rs4 on paper,but bmw have not released any real figures on what the new M3 output will be,so its not really fair to say that.but slightly of topic,i test drove an 03 rs6 the other day at staffs audi and i have to say i was blown away,480hp in a 1600kg car was amazing,and low down grunt was amazing nothing like the M3 and M5,i hope that the ISf will be like that,cos the power comes from nowhere,got back into my M3 and had to rev the ****** of it to get it to where i needed to go.If the isf packs 360 ft ilbs of torque then yes its gonna be impressive low down,which i think is important in driving today.Also being a v8 will help.The rs6 i test drove shocked me,but couldnt help feel that i wasnt really doing anything,like i wasnt involved.is the isf gonna have shift paddles on the wheel?like smg/dsg

• 1 month later...
I've just had some info on the performance figures for the IS-F.

The latest news is, it will have, for sure, more power and torque than both the RS4 and M3. The performance figures quoted on the launch were not accurate, Lexus are now suggesting performance to be as follows:

360+ ft lbs of torque

0-60 mph - 4.6 seconds

Top Speed - 168 mph (governed)

So on paper it is more powerful and quicker than it's rivals, the inside informatives suggest it will deliver this on the track aswell, we will have to wait and see!

I've now had a chance to see some videos of the IS F and again I must confess the car looks AWESOME!

Apart from one set of shots that are going around, which don't do the car justice at all, all the other pics I've seen and videos I've seen IMO the car looks way better than it's rivals and looks AWESOME in it's own right.

Can't wait to see one on the road.

Lexus changed the history books some 18+ years ago within the motor industry and I believe they are about to do same again!

Hi Just where did these figures come from?, If they are correct it will be a flyer

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links