Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Urgent Help From Rx400h Owners

Had my RX 400h for 48hours and I have 2 issues :

Front parking sensor beeping continuously for no reason :duh: .

Main issue became apparent ,when I tried to park on the hill in a residential area ( 8%-10% gradient ), with the gear in D ,the car rolled back ( car was pointing uphill) when I taken my foot off the accelerator .to apply the brake .

Made a 3 point turn so the car was parked, facing downhill ,tried to manoeuvre with the gear in R ,the car rolled forward when I taken my foot off the accelerator .

I am baffled ,I read the owners manual ( 450 pages) and I cant find any reference to hill start.

Question :

Is this a problem ?

Or

They all do this Sir!

For the past 20 years I had automatics ( Mercedes ) so I figured out by now how to park a car on a hill , on a normal auto weather in D or R when you are on a gradient the gear "holds" the car

The car is going back to the dealer tomorrow , to have the parking sensors fixed and the second problem debated. If any of you chaps can advice I much appreciated .

I like the car and ticks all my requirements , but the issue with the hill parking is unnerving .

Regards

Rob

Main issue became apparent ,when I tried to park on the hill in a residential area ( 8%-10% gradient ), with the gear in D ,the car rolled back ( car was pointing uphill) when I taken my foot off the accelerator .to apply the brake .

Made a 3 point turn so the car was parked, facing downhill ,tried to manoeuvre with the gear in R ,the car rolled forward when I taken my foot off the accelerator .

I am baffled ,I read the owners manual ( 450 pages) and I cant find any reference to hill start.

Question :

Is this a problem ?

Or

They all do this Sir!

For the past 20 years I had automatics ( Mercedes ) so I figured out by now how to park a car on a hill , on a normal auto weather in D or R when you are on a gradient the gear "holds" the car

The car is going back to the dealer tomorrow , to have the parking sensors fixed and the second problem debated. If any of you chaps can advice I much appreciated .

I like the car and ticks all my requirements , but the issue with the hill parking is unnerving .

Regards

Rob

Your front parking sensors were probably a dealer fit or fitted at the port of entry, whichever way they fall into the category of "not done by the Lexus factory". Such things have proved a weak point in my experience.

The hill start thing is not a problem - many modern autos do this now, the first time it happened to me was with am 03 Honda CRV and I am sure I read somewhere there was a reason (such as fuel economy) for manufacturers adopting this.

Good luck

Bladgb

I had continuous beep parking sensors - but a couple of months after purchase - fixed on my drive by the nice Lexus people - know issue with the sensor ECU.

Regarding hill starts - I think what you are experiencing is exactly what I get, when in D, or R, there should be an amount of forward motion when on the level - the boys at Lexus seem to have engineered that automatic box style creep with the electric motor system.

That said, the amount of force is not great, and so when on a hill, you can still roll backwards (or forwards) and it then becomes that awful juggling act of brake and throttle.

Provided you car moves forward slowly with no brake or throttle on the level, I would say all is normal.

Maybe a few more accelerometers etc would allow it know when it was on a hill and hold steady????

Cheers

Jon

My dealer (Lexus Newcastle) found it impossible to make my front sensors work properly. They were part of a double kit for front and rear.

In desperation he fitted a single kit designed for front only and now works fine.

(But the warning tone is far too loud for me. Does anyone know where the buzzer is fitted)

It seems there is a problem with the double kits but the single kits are ok.

I hope this helps.

I have 800 series front sensors on my RX and they work without problem. It will be worth checking what sensor kit they fitted - the 800 series is the new recommended one.

It was the 800 series and now is working.

As far as the rolling forward/backwards on a incline ( like a car park or steep hill ) ,dealer principal suggested to use the parking brake ( at low speed ) when parking or maneuvering , this is NOT sanctioned by LUK and is not in the owners manual ,I requested him to put this in writing ( he did not ) ,but will check with LUK .

In different markets there is a Hill-Start function on the RX330 , the new LS ,GS and LX (amazon )all have Hill-Start . This can not be retrofitted .

I like the car ( 33m/g , very quiet ,good performance ) but there is a good case in rejecting the car on grounds of safety .The automatic does NOT have a torque converter like in normal automatics/dgs/tiptronic etc that why the auto doest hold on a hill .

I had a RX350 on loan and it has the same issue with the hill start . I also found that the suspension and the steering on the 400h is much better than on the 350 .

So do not follow a Lexus to close in a car park :winky: