Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Towing Capabilities

Having just registered and not knowing the past topics I thought I would post this question.How does the RX300 perform with a trailer attached?Whether cargo or travel.I'm thinking about buying a new ultra-light 19 foot trailer that weighs 3200 pounds.I won't be driving over 60 mph and will be using a stabilizer hitch.Any info would be greatly appreciated.It may make the difference between purchasing and not purchasing a camper trailer.Also for those interested I did have a slight sludge problem that showed up on the dipstick after about 35000 miles.The vehicle has been Lexus maintained since new and oil changes occured every 7500 miles.Switched to Amsoil 5-30w @ 5.00$ a quart and noticed less oil usage and a spotless dipstick after about 7000 miles.I now have 57000 miles and haven't had a problem yet.Fuel economy went up but not significantly.My driving is mostly freeway to work.I also installed an Amsoil foam air filter after reading all the benifits of oiled foam.Sorry.I'm just a car gadget guy.I really enjoy my Lexus and plan on driving it for a long time.Chow.

Hi Broiler62,

I guess from your post that you are prob in the States!I've got an RX300 in the UK and regularly tow a horse trailer with 1 or 2 horses in it....one is over 16 hands so is a heavy fellow.

The car tows adequately I'd say,no sparkling performance but it copes fine....with the fuel consumption down to say,16mpg,from 22-23 mpg.

We bought the car to have a reliable comfortable 4wd since we live "in the sticks" and to have a vehicle that can cope with towing when necessary.

Hope this helps.

Buzz.

PS ourBrand new top spec Discovery towed much better the only downside was the leaking roof,the leaking diesel tank,the leaking oil filter,the failed air con,the 4 total breakdowns,not to mention the exploding engine at 20,000 miles!....stick with the RX.

After 60,000km of general driving in Australia with a reasonable amount of towing (boat, camper trailer, caravan), the RX300 has performed very well. I use the tiptronic gearbox to control gearchanges and almost always tow with the overdrive (4th gear) disabled. I also fitted an after market transmission cooler which I recommend. I don't think I'd tackle the Rockies or the Scottish highlands with it but most other applications are fine.

The load leveller is a great idea as too much weight on the towball will cause the back of the vehicle to droop and the headlights to point skyward. Great for hunting squirrels or possums at night but other road users get a bit annoyed. Also upsets the stablility and braking quite a bit.

Recently one of the rear CV joints starting making a few noises intermittently which may have been aggravated by towing, so I'd get these checked regularly.

I tow a fairly large caravan (1250kg - 2750pounds) and have no trouble. I use a stabliser. The cruise control makes life a doddle - stick it at 60 (speed limit for towing in uk) then sit back and enjoy the journey.

Only thing is on slight uphill roads with cruise control on - it keeps changing down to 3rd then goes back into top, then as the revs drop it again it will change down again. Just take overdrive off for the uphill bit

I have three friends in various technical roles with Toyota and Lexus. One is the head diagnostic technician supporting all Australian dealerships.

They all strongly recommend turning off the overdrive when towing anything except a small box trailer (on all Toyota/Lexus, not just the RX300). Each has been involved with expensive repairs caused by overheated transmissions when towing at highway speeds in fourth gear.

As mentioned in my previous despatch, I also run an after market transmission cooler that bolts in front of the radiator in sequence with the standard cooler in the bottom of the radiator. What I forgot to mention is I bought this cooler after cooking the transmission in my Soarer towing a van across a mountain range.

Cooler=<BP100. Tranny Repair=>BP1000 (BP = British Pounds.)

:excl:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links