Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all

My IS250 Sport is due for its first service in a few weeks - I have the usual rattle issues - ie from the speaker cover and the creaks from the centre of the dash.

I don't want my dealer at Newcastle dismantling the dash unless there is an official "fix" that will rid me of these problems because they could make things worse.

Anyone out there had theirs fixed and, more importantly, know how their dealer achieved it?

Thanks for any help

Wicky - there are so many threads on this - just do a search.

Most dealers have experience of the rattles now. The centre speaker is pretty straight forward - just needs packing. The rest are all pretty standard too - including like mine where high density foam has been installed against the base of the screen and the dash.

Some people have had to have the dash out completely, but a dealer will do that only if they have to.

Good luck!!

PS - Mine is as quiet as a dead mouse now, after several visits!!

Wicky - there are so many threads on this - just do a search.

Most dealers have experience of the rattles now. The centre speaker is pretty straight forward - just needs packing. The rest are all pretty standard too - including like mine where high density foam has been installed against the base of the screen and the dash.

Some people have had to have the dash out completely, but a dealer will do that only if they have to.

Good luck!!

PS - Mine is as quiet as a dead mouse now, after several visits!!

Jamboo

What about when driving over potholes/very rough roads etc. Is it still quiet as a mouse? Mine isnt. Am i being to picky?

PS - I thought you weren't going to waste any more time on these forums :P :P

The rest are all pretty standard too - including like mine where high density foam has been installed against the base of the screen and the dash.

Jamboo, I did some mailings with a guy, who services lexus in czech republic. I told him about the cloth and the speaker cover - he confirmed the solution with the speaker cover as you wrote.

About the foam against the base of the screen - he said, that this problem is solved by removing the windshield, and changing with new type of windshield sets.

That also confirms, when some guys here said, that after windshield change the cracking dissapeared. I am going to do this with regular servicing.

Anyway, I got one other cracking - in the middle console, around the gear stick - where the black plastics touches with the silver pieces... It cracks on bigger bumps and when changing to 5th gear. It stops cracking after at least 30 minutes of drive. Then the car is really quiet.

today I spoke with the dealer, and I mentioned again, that the bloody usa :) got automatic door locking and we don't. He told me, that they are expecting new sets of additional equipment and there should be also an automatic door locker system.

I told him to call me, when it arrives, so I let yous know then.

What about when driving over potholes/very rough roads etc. Is it still quiet as a mouse? Mine isnt. Am i being to picky?

PS - I thought you weren't going to waste any more time on these forums :P :P

I'm addicted :blush:

No seriously - as explained to several people on the forum who PM'd me, there was a good reason for my attitude at the time and it worked. All that I will say is that EVERYONE looks at these forums and sometimes being of the "wide open mouth" variety can mean that you annoy people and they get the hump!!

Back on topic - even over pot holes mine is quiet now...totally peaceful and as quiet as a dead mouse - no squeaks at all!

Matus - those creaks where black and silver plastics meet - from my experience of several courtesy cars, they are all different. In the summer mine creaked around the satnav screen. The dealer has told me that there is not a lot you can do about it. If it is persistent ask your dealer to replace that part of the console and see if it makes a difference.

Again - I think I said it on a previous post - IMHO there are too many different grades/pieces of plastic all joined together or adjacent to each other (especially where you have MM with all the buttons, screen recess etc), and in europe where the climate changes (and Oz) the contracting and expanding joints will inevitably creak. There is not much you can do really...'cos the competetion don't make good enuff cars :lol: and defecting is out of the question....

But lately mine is the quietest it has ever been!

So I have yet again gone from sheer frustration to elation :duh:

Well today i took notice of any noise and it seem the speakers in mine also makes little rattling noise, only little though.

At first i was beginning to this it was due to sound distortion but not to be. I hope things gets or nothing gets worse as i hate to bring it to the dealer for such little noise.

Well today i took notice of any noise and it seem the speakers in mine also makes little rattling noise, only little though.

At first i was beginning to this it was due to sound distortion but not to be. I hope things gets or nothing gets worse as i hate to bring it to the dealer for such little noise.

...take it in... :excl: unless it's too inconvenient

every piece of warranty work is recorded (I believe) and this is another notch in the "bed post"...and hence will be recorded as another car with the problem.

I have driven one '56 plated car (i.e. registered after Sep '06) which had this problem marginally, so it hasn't been totally eradicated.

I had the centre dash speaker rattle cured at my dealer and that was great until I noticed a faint rattle from the passenger side of the dash. I pushed a small piece of foam between the A pillar plastic and the dash and tucked it out of sight and that rattle has gone as well.

BTW, it may be worthwhile everyone checking their alloys as I had one start to bubble and corrode after 5 months and had it replaced. However, I was washing the car at the weekend and noticed that I have two other wheels starting to corrode as well. Time for new wheels under warranty I think.

I had the centre dash speaker rattle cured at my dealer and that was great until I noticed a faint rattle from the passenger side of the dash. I pushed a small piece of foam between the A pillar plastic and the dash and tucked it out of sight and that rattle has gone as well.

BTW, it may be worthwhile everyone checking their alloys as I had one start to bubble and corrode after 5 months and had it replaced. However, I was washing the car at the weekend and noticed that I have two other wheels starting to corrode as well. Time for new wheels under warranty I think.

Northern Boy - did you get your speaker rattle sorted by Lexus Newcastle? - they tell me that they only have knowledge of rattles in the GS model and have no reported faults in the IS :unsure:

Northern Boy - did you get your speaker rattle sorted by Lexus Newcastle? - they tell me that they only have knowledge of rattles in the GS model and have no reported faults in the IS :unsure:

Did they? That's strange because when I took mine in for its 20k service I just told them that it was rattling from the speaker grill in the centre of the dash ( I knew this because when I pushed a credit card down the side and lifted it slightly, the rattling stopped) and when I got it back they had fixed it and re-seated the cover). I find the best policy in situations like this is to just tell them what you want doing and expect them to do it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Hi all

My IS250 Sport is due for its first service in a few weeks - I have the usual rattle issues - ie from the speaker cover and the creaks from the centre of the dash.

I don't want my dealer at Newcastle dismantling the dash unless there is an official "fix" that will rid me of these problems because they could make things worse.

Anyone out there had theirs fixed and, more importantly, know how their dealer achieved it?

Thanks for any help

can you tell me how you got on with Newcastle? Like you I have been reluctant to leave my car for any fixes without knowing for sure that the dealer knew what they were doing. When I last asked about 4 months ago they said they hadn't heard of any problems!!!!! My IS220d is just over a year old, but may have been a late 05 early 06 build, and after 12,000 miles has just started to creak around the front screen and the centre speaker when the car is cold.

It's really important to know exactly where the rattle is coming from. If it's the speaker grill, then it is very easy; just some packing and then to seal it down - which I understand is a 5 minute job and non-invasive.

If it's buzzing from the dash generally, and you can occasionally see it "flexing" over bumps, then you need the packing that mine had (high density foam or similar) at the base of the screen, to hold the dash in place firmly. For anyone not having had a rattle, it is very annoying and sometimes quite loud! Akin to a sugar cube been vigorously rattled in an empty Starbucks takeaway cup with the lid on!

I would take it in - I remember even the smallest of buzzes and rattles can drive you insane over time, or when you want that quiet drive home after a long hard day at the shop... :yawn: Alternate? Get one of these:

post-11584-1174403506.jpg

Mines in next week for 20k service, rattle from speaker grill, squeaky drivers seat, new wheels ( corrosion started ) and fuel consumption dropped from 34 to 29 in the last 6 weeks ( same journeys etc. ).

I'll report back on how it gets on.

Hi all

Thanks for any help

can you tell me how you got on with Newcastle? Like you I have been reluctant to leave my car for any fixes without knowing for sure that the dealer knew what they were doing. When I last asked about 4 months ago they said they hadn't heard of any problems!!!!! My IS220d is just over a year old, but may have been a late 05 early 06 build, and after 12,000 miles has just started to creak around the front screen and the centre speaker when the car is cold.

My car is going in this Monday (26th) - I will be asking them to sort out the rattles (which is going to be difficult because they are intermittent) and also the "squeaky" seats.

Lexus Newcastle know that I have had contact with Gill Want from Lexus GB who has assured me that Newcastle will sort it out

I will let you know how they do but I've got to say that my hopes are not exactly sky high :crybaby:

ive had all my rattles fixed..and all going well...apart....from..about 20 minutes into a journey i get a "crack" noise coming from the dash area...tempurature movement?

mine does the same, but it's a big crack (fortunately just once a day) like when the stone hits the windscreen

I heard that this has been fixed on new cars. It's in the dash, some plastics is in contact with steel, so when it warms up it cracks...

ive had all my rattles fixed..and all going well...apart....from..about 20 minutes into a journey i get a "crack" noise coming from the dash area...tempurature movement?

mine does the same, but it's a big crack (fortunately just once a day) like when the stone hits the windscreen

I heard that this has been fixed on new cars. It's in the dash, some plastics is in contact with steel, so when it warms up it cracks...

Mine does it too, may be once every couple of days or so, quite unerving. Sometimes when I go over a pot hole too...

But it is much much better now.

Fuel economy is not that much better, evn with the ECU mod. I'm resigned to accepting mid 30-s to low 40's regularly, and 28-30 in town only driving - gently!!

Mine does it too, may be once every couple of days or so, quite unerving. Sometimes when I go over a pot hole too...

But it is much much better now.

Fuel economy is not that much better, evn with the ECU mod. I'm resigned to accepting mid 30-s to low 40's regularly, and 28-30 in town only driving - gently!!

+I have mine booked in for first service next week and I was just wondering if they are doing the ECU mod as part of the service or do I have to complain about something.

For the record I have a tiny rattle in the front left pillar area and I am also going to have them look at where the boot meets the bumper. Because on my car the paint is so soft that just closing the boot on a dirty bumper causes the dirt on the bumper to mark and scratch the paint on both surfaces.

I have also ( for Irish viewers) complained about the sat/nav and asked them to replace it under warranty ( coz its crap) I'll let you know how I get on.