Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Reclaim Those Bank Charges

Steve

Bank charges: Reclaim them, they're unlawful, so you can get six years money back

Your bank owes your money. Thousands have claimed £1000s as charges for exceeding your overdrafts, or bounced direct debits and cheques are commonly believed to be unlawful. This is a step-by-step guide including template letters and calculators making bank busting easy.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/v...141050760,24632,

excllent site i always find helpful.

Fantastic nice find steve that reminds me of an article I was reading not so recently it was a chap who took his bank to court over commision charges relating to his account he won the case because the bank reps refused to show up at court, The bank never paid out claiming they never recieved the summins

End result the claiment sent in the baliffs to retrieve his money back :lol::lol::lol:

My partner claimed £1300. Got a letter back today offering £505. Better than a poke in the face I guess. She's gonna accept it, better to take the money now, than the risk of losing it later

...but what are the chances of losing it later? She's throwing away £795!

My partner claimed £1300. Got a letter back today offering £505. Better than a poke in the face I guess. She's gonna accept it, better to take the money now, than the risk of losing it later

I watched a money programme special on it, that instigated the claim. Only problem was the fact that the banks have obvously got teams of lawyers trying to find loopholes regarding the claims (attempting to change them from a charge to a "service fee" etc). Sod's law says we'd be the first to end up being ruled against :lol:

this sounds wicked. im definitely up for doing this.

so u peolpe reckon id get a settlement figure within the first letter back? im with lloyds tsb

My partner sent her claim letter off about 18 Decemeber and she got her offer through yesterday. Only correspondence between then and now was a letter from her bank saying they were investigating. Then an offer letter. Pretty simple and straightforward really. She's with Abbey

Some helpful stuff here too

a friend of mine did this when it first came to the public's knowledge,he had a balance of about £7k that he hadnt cleared for about 6months,obviously paying interest on top,they awarded him with £600 quid in charges and also 30 days to pay the £7k balance and threatened him with court action if he didnt comply,my advice would be if you arent in a strong financial position and hope to rely on the bank youve just soured relations with,then dont do it.

ive just been thru all my staments online and i have a fee every month for £5. im assuming that is for having the current account. can this be claimed back.

in total with all the charges and including the £5 fee monthly this totals to around £1030 for the last five years. im sure there are more charges before the five years in the other year they dont allow u to see on the net (because there internet records only go back 5 years) so its probably a little more than that.

i dont know if this is worth ****** the bank off for. and risking them telling me to bank elsewhere.

ive just been thru all my staments online and i have a fee every month for £5. im assuming that is for having the current account. can this be claimed back.

in total with all the charges and including the £5 fee monthly this totals to around £1030 for the last five years. im sure there are more charges before the five years in the other year they dont allow u to see on the net (because there internet records only go back 5 years) so its probably a little more than that.

i dont know if this is worth ****** the bank off for. and risking them telling me to bank elsewhere.

If your having to pay the bank £5 a month for the priveledge of looking after your money so they can earn even more revenue from you then I would change banks asap. If you have other reasons for staying with your bank then threaten to leave anyway and then screw em for a better deal.

If you do decide to change banks, the best buy for ages is the alliance and leicester account that pays about 5% interest and has an interest free o'draft (for the first year anyway). It has the bonus that if I (or a friend who already has an account) recommend you, we can both get £25. sometimes they do a promo and you can get £50. I recommended the missus and we both got £50 each :D

Details of this account is all on the moneysavingexpert site anyway.

I only wish I knew this 15-20 years ago when I was struggling to keep within my overdraft and usually failing due to the folly of youth and the love of ancient P5 & P6 Rovers and Triumph Heralds etc.

• 1 month later...
Bank charges: Reclaim them, they're unlawful, so you can get six years money back

Your bank owes your money. Thousands have claimed £1000s as charges for exceeding your overdrafts, or bounced direct debits and cheques are commonly believed to be unlawful. This is a step-by-step guide including template letters and calculators making bank busting easy.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/v...141050760,24632,

excllent site i always find helpful.

Thanks Steve! nice find

After you posting this link I took the plunge and went through the last 6 years of statments its taken 5 weeks and two letters the first one stating the complaint and the default charge amount, the second threatning Barclays with court action because they never replied witnin the timescale set by the FSA (28 days) this morning (5 days after threatning court action) I got a letter offering £420 of the £618 claimed which is good enough for me :D

Cheers mate theres a pint in for you :D :D :D :D

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links