Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is 200 Vs Audi S3

:excl:

Just a little story,

That night, i was driving on this nice little french road.

I was all happy until that happened:

2 head lights stuck on my rear bumber...

What was that? UFO?

I pushed the accelerator to the floor, and i guess the guy behind me did the same.

I heard a big ROAARRR, i saw his tail lights and he desapeared.

The S3 was gone.

I don't know how it makes you feel but I'm going to my nearest audi dealer today.

I was looking to get an S3 before I bought the IS200. They are very nice cars to look at, but when you look at the interior, it's rubbish! For the amount of money you pay, you don't get much. I never did go for the test drive... It's the same reason I never bought a Golf GTI.

The Lexus IS200 was by far the better car out of the 3 I was looking at. Nothing further needs to be said... :P

A couple of years ago, I was looking at S3's and after a few test drives I came to the conclusion that the S3 was quick in a straight line but the handling wasn't what I'd expected from a 4 wheel drive car, no where near as sure footed through tight and twisty bends as it should be. Great looking car though and you don't see that many on the roads.

Why anyone buys an S3 when you can get an Audi TT for the same money I don't know.

Now a new shape S4 with bodykit and twin turbos - now you're talking - aiight! :D

I wish Lexus would hurry up and build us an M3/S4 beating IS430!

To be honest much prefer the Lexus the build quality on the Audi is okay but the parts they use are pants and the styling is pretty poo. For the money you should get an IS200 SE drop it and slap a Supercharger on it with new exhaust and go for stage 1, okay that may be £1000 more expensive than the S3 but I know which i'd prefer!! :D

Si B)

To be honest much prefer the Lexus

I have to agree - that's why i bought an IS200 - also much cheaper initially, lower insurance, kick-***** stereo and the dash that I fell in love with.

But need more power! Either a serious engine rebuild or a 'charger coming in the next year!

To be honest much prefer the Lexus the build quality on the Audi is okay but the parts they use are pants and the styling is pretty poo.

I think the Audi/VW build quality is far superior (but then I have an early IS not the improved later models) but the Audi interiors are just sooo boring. I looked at the revised A4 a little while ago and I don't think I could stand looking at that dash everyday. Complete opposite to the IS.

hmmm. If for sheer speed then AUDI over IS.but lexus any day for me. the is 200 will really feel asthmatic in a race with the S3.

last summer, i had the "pleasure" of "racing" an S3 for about 80 miles in belguim. it's got more low end torque than my ALTEZZA, i think (as it stormed past me on the steep Namur hill), but the bloke couldn't hack it in corners and flat out speed. my altezza has been tuned up a bit too and can push past 150mph. that's where he lost the plot.

to make matters interesting we had a 5 series beemer and and a MERC 320. In the end it was left with me and the beemer. hell raising experience though as no one was prepared to duck under 130 mph.

Had a similar experience with a Golf VR6 from the French / belgian border near Lille.

but IS has more class than the S3.

S3 is 225 HP, IS200 is 155 HP, both cars are not competing is the same category…without talking about the price !!

My Altezza is 210-215 bhp, and hopefully upto 235+ when TDI have their wicked way with it ;) But that's another story :P

The thing is tho, the raw performance is academic. The Lex is a beautiful cruiser and the S3 is a hot-hatch. If you're going for power and autobahn madness, may as well get an Elise, with it's ridiculous power/weight ratio - but therein lies the point - you'd hate to drive it on a day to day basis, as it's a glorified go-kart (much as I'd like one for the track :yahoo:)

The S3 is a decent working of the generally poor Golf chassis, but i'm much happier with the creature comforts and road presence of a IS any day. :shifty:

KV

have a mate who works at an AUDI dealer over here, in about 2 weeks hes getting the RS6 out for me........

My mate at my local gaage, he's got one, it's imported UK Spec, tell you what tho it's one F****** Fast Motor, we clocked it at 167mph on the M1, his brothers got an Impreza on `W` plate, we cleaned it out... :arrrggg-matey: :arrrggg-matey:

(watched the petrol needle go from F to E tho..... :lol::lol::lol: )

Ha ha - Brand Loyalty - what a wonderfullly emotive subject!!

Having owned both an A3 and a IS200 within the last year (and now something completely different), I have to say that I find some of the comments on here incredible.

How anyone can seriously condsider the interior of the Lexus to be superior to the Audi is beyond comprehension - from the seats to the driving position to the general quality of materials used, the Audi is so much better.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an Audi nut - I've never have the same brand of car twice (other than a couple of Fiestas when I was young). There were things that bugged me about the A3. The rear legroom was even poorer than the IS, the list of options was ludicrous, as were some of the prices and as for boot space!!

One thing that did amaze me was the servicing costs on an IS - I was quoted around £180 for a 10K service. When I looked in the book, all they did was to 'inspect' several things and change the oil and oil filter. IIRC, the 10K on my A3 was around £120 and that included new wiper blades and a couple of other (small) things.

I am sure that I am in the minority here, as the JD Power survey would suggest, but I always found Dealer Service to be quite poor. And not just from the supplying Dealer either.

I had mixed emotions about seeing the IS go, but at the end of the day, I NEVER found a comfortable driving position (I'm 6' 2"), where I could see any of the bonnet without almost having my head poking out the sunroof.

I won't tell you what 've got now, 'cos you'll only laugh and flame me. But, suffice to say that it is a 'Flex'ible 7 seater and first impressions would suggest that it is equally as quick as the IS in it's 2.2 guise.

Apols if this offends anyone here, but I'm just being honest.

One thing that did amaze me was the servicing costs on an IS - I was quoted around £180 for a 10K service. When I looked in the book, all they did was to 'inspect' several things and change the oil and oil filter. IIRC, the 10K on my A3 was around £120 and that included new wiper blades and a couple of other (small) things.

My 10k service was half that, without including my gold discount, sounds like you were had....