Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Other Cars

Just out of interest, what other cars did you consider before buying an Is200/300? and what car did you drive before changing to a Lexus ?

I thought about;

Audi S3 (wasn't what i was expecting}

BMW 3 series (sorry but i had a quick look and quickly decided NO!)

Subaru Impreza (crap interior but goes well!)

Drove a VW Golf before but got fed up with the lack of creature comforts, it was a few years old though.

Its probably quicker to say what I didn't look at!!

I had sort of settled on a second hand Merc C200 Sport (liked the stance!) or a BMW (sorry :angry: ) 318SE, but did have a look at the IS200. Found I didn't really have the cash to get one though.

After many months of looking and getting used to spending about £14k, and also finding that BMW dealers are useless, 26 yr old wanting second hand BM = don't want to know. Couldn't find a Merc, then thought about the extra kit thrown in for free in the Lexus. Went for a test drive, salesman was very nice.

Said try them all out, I can guarantee you will come back and I did. Also mate had a 323i coupe which I loved the 6 cylinder engine note of. Had to have one (6 cyl.) and Bm insurance is a nightmare.

I am 110% happy with the baby I have. Some of the dealers are getting a little complacent and don't realise so much that Lexus was built on good car and good customer service.

Also went through the usual Audio/VW/Honda/Sccoby/FordAlfa.

Wouldn't change it for the world. Only problem is when I want something else - what do I do!?

I know you can't really compare the cars, but I was looking at Golf GTI, Audi S3 and Lexus IS200.

I started looking at the Golf first, then the S3. I very very quickly made up my mind after I saw just a photo of an IS200. Much better car all round. I must admin, it was the speedometer and dashboard design that I fell in love with initially. :P Now the more I see and drive it, the more I know I made the right choice. :D

Honda Accord 2.2 Type-R - Blindingly fast and raw, but no creature comforts.

BMW 320Ci - Yes, I too hold my head in shame - went to look at it, but typical salesman didn't take me seriously so walked out after he gave a very low P/X value.

Of course, I bought the IS200, I had pretty much made up my mind in the first minute of the test drive - at the time it was still a fairly new car and I got so many admiring glances. But it was the sweet sound of the creamy 24V engine that won it.

I traded in a 98 Honda Accord Coupe (last version before it was dropped from the UK).

This is prob sad, but i considerd The Merc C-Class, BMW320 Coupe, and Golf GTI.

But wanted the IS since day one, soo the others were ruled out!! Have 2 say i was being brain washed 2 get a merc by my bro!! Got really tempted, but one drive in the IS, that was it!! :D

I test drove:

Honda Aerodeck - nice but disappointed at the interior and lack of extras (the new one looks as though it'll be good though

Alfa Romeo 156 - didn't like it to drive at all. The salesguy also wouldn't let me drive it out of the garage. He drove down the road and let me drive back (?!?!)

Chrysler PT Cruiser - what can I say?! It wasn't a serious purchasing choice, just wanted a go!

Cancelled the test drive on the Volvo S40 after driving the IS200

me and GRiM was talking bout this in chat the other day.

where to start

pug 206cc- had convertible feever but too much of a girls car

alpha 156- but uncle said to avoid alphas

V5 golf- couldnt get insured

went and tested a BMW 320Ci- quicker than IS but doesnt handle as good and more expensive.

also tried for a boxster on a t reg but with not doing my own insurance and being 19 they said i'd need a hardtop and £4300.... car was already £24995

then went to my "friendly" toyota dealer in stafford asked if i could take a test drive in a celica but he said " we havent got one as a demo" and "no i dont know when we will be getting a new celica as a demo car". so i went to toyota in hanley and took a test drive of the celica there but its joint with lexus so i started looking at the IS then checked insurance and it was cheapest out of all cars to insure so had that and really love it best car out of them.

went back to toyota stafford jus to take the *****

:backofnet:

Alfa Romeo 156 - didn't like it to drive at all. The salesguy also wouldn't let me drive it out of the garage. He drove down the road and let me drive back (?!?!)

Claire, I used to have an Alfa, great cars, however not very reliable, deprectiation is really nasty too.

Dealers are also generally quite unpleasant, which one did you go to??

I think you live and work quite near me, I bought mine from SGT in Taplow, complete bunch of idiots, however they did let me test drive it, I think I scared the sales guy quite a bit :o

Since my dad has one I was quite used to it though, also tried a selespeed one, now they are really wierd to drive!

have to consider a CLIO V6 ,although i will neeed some spare boxers and a bog roll as that thing is bliding quick. just too small for such power.

HONDA ACCORD 2.2 TYPE R, SKYLINE R34, IMPREZA WRX.

But the mother of them all has to be the MERC E55 AMG.will consoder that if i won the lottery.

brabus have come up with another one that's even the dog witha whooping 670lb ft of low end torque.

initially an AUDI TT 225

then over the last three years nearly defected to BMW M3

and very very nearly purchased a new Skyline......but there was problems with sourcing and i needed a car that i could fit european spec lights to(LHD)....unfortunatly the R34 doesnt have Continental lights.

so i stuck with the lex

BMW 3 series (sorry but i had a quick look and quickly decided NO!)

Andy

hope this doesn't get me banned.....

I drove a BMW 328 Coupe - and loved it.

Swapped to the lexus because it was a bit more practical for everyday use.

I have had my IS200 Sport for almost 2 months now and think it is great but .......This is the bit that may get me banned ........ I really did like my 328 and I do miss it a little bit (especially the extra power).

.... OK I will leave now..........................................................

B

My last car before the Lexus was a red Toyota Celica which I brought over from the Hague, Holland.

My wife developed a slight hip problem and had difficulty getting down and then into the Celica. After 12 mths I part exchanged it for the Lexis IS200SE and got in part exchange value what I had paid for the Celica.

The Celica was great to drive but had no room in the back and the doors had a tinny sound when closed. I get more people coming over and admiring the Lexus and telling me so rather than the teenagers who looked twice at the red Celica.

Looked at Honda Accord type R and the S2000 too.

Would have had the S2K but couldn't quite get within available budget.

So, plumped for Impreza turbo ... then the facelift with bug eye lights ... Wowwww there !!

Now disheartened, had a go in the IS which had also been on my shortlist.

Managed a cracking deal so that was that ...

I like it a lot .. but (and this'll get me lynched) ..

if you like to 'drive' , i still think Honda is the stable to visit :unsure:

However, as an all rounder, and with its 6pot , goodies and looks, the IS is great.

Specially with a s/c to correct its main achilles heel - bit gutless B)

My previous car was a Peugeot 306 D Turbo what a load of cack that turned out to be, anyway the car I almost signed my soul to the devil for was a Delorean Ive always been fascinated by them but I just could not find a decent right hand drive model. Then the Lexus came along and the rest is history. I made the right choice with the Is200 :)

Claire, I used to have an Alfa, great cars, however not very reliable, deprectiation is really nasty too.

I think you live and work quite near me, I bought mine from SGT in Taplow, complete bunch of idiots, however they did let me test drive it, I think I scared the sales guy quite a bit :o

Since my dad has one I was quite used to it though, also tried a selespeed one, now they are really wierd to drive!

Hi Matt, yes it was SGT Taplow - I don't think they thought I was a serious buyer. My boss went in for a test drive at a later date and they fawned all over him.

I forgot I also test drove the Mitsubishi Galant 2.0 at SGT too. That sales guy was a lot friendlier!

Hi Matt, yes it was SGT Taplow - I don't think they thought I was a serious buyer. My boss went in for a test drive at a later date and they fawned all over him.

I forgot I also test drove the Mitsubishi Galant 2.0 at SGT too. That sales guy was a lot friendlier!

A mitsubishi Gallant and a Volvo S40?? I wouldn't have admitted to that! :P

Did they both come standard with Pipe and slippers? :)

When I got my IS I don't even think I considered anything else, I'd thought about the Accord Type-R as they had just come out as well but never even went as far as the honda showroom. I saw the IS200 in the motoring press when it was launched and thought I just had to have one and the test drive didn't disappoint.

oh and my previous car was a vectra :sick: (small font hoping no-one will notice that comment)

I considered an Audi A4... but the interior was too clinical and rolled a bit around corners. I then went to test drive a celica at toyota (which I booked), got there and they said the car was blocked in, which meant they had to move a load of other cars to get it free...basically they couldn't be arsed!! So I was totally dejected with the toyota group, but gave them another chance with lexus, now what a world of difference in service. Anyway test drove it and bought one!

Audi A4 - Came close but didn't make me "tingle" the way the IS did. Also the equipment list is c**p - they expect you to pay extra for basics like a CD player and a proper rear central seatbelt and serious extras like leather/electric seats cost ££££s.

Volvo S6 - Quite nice looking and good engine (5 cyl turbo) but felt bulky. Also too middle aged.

Honda Accord Type V (2.3l). Dealer screwed-up the test drive and I lost interest.

I had a Subaru Impreza WRX import. As the wife was getting tick off with me always spending money modifying it

So we went to look at and test drove a MG ZS, Golf TDI, Audi A4 and a New Impreza WRX. I count make my mind up.

Went past the local garage last week and he had a IS 200 pulled in for a look. Took it for a test drive. Always liked them, loved the dials, it was spotless low mileage.

The garage gave me a good deal on my WRX and bought it.

I have had it 2 days and love it :D , my only complaint is its crap in the snow :( . So I'm off to buy some snow tyres and see how I get on.

I looked for 2 yrs trying to find a GOOD Celica GT4 (very underated car)...pretty hard to find one considering they stopped in the UK in 96. I traveled up to liverpool and Bradford on the hunt...but to no avail. :(

Then looked at the Grey import Misubushi FTO/GTO (hideous Ins quote for what they are)

Pondered for ages about what else...didnt want "RUN OF THE MILL" :duh:

I was looking at the Beemers too, but.....i took a lexus for a drive and apart from being the nicest drive i have had, i noticed that ppl actually let me out at junctions (if it was a beemer they wouldnt) :excl:

Anyway I love the thing, and the GF keeps nabbing it at every oppertunity ("O...is your car behind mine...then i'll have to take it in the morning!" (no chance) :yahoo:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links