Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tesco 99 Ron Fuel

paul_k

Ive been using 99 octane fuel instead of the standard 95 octane fuel and am convinced that acceleration is improved.

I know on my 350Z that 99 over 95 (or even 98) is better as the ignition timing is advanced as long as no knock is detected. Does this happen also with the SC?

Interestingly the manual states you can temporarily go as low as 91 octane.

Anyone done any 0-60 or 0-100 with both fuels?

Cheers

Paul

You'd have to have either a JDM ECU or an aftermarket ECU specifically mapped for these kind of fuels.

You wouldn't notice the difference as much in cold weather...but you'll definitely notice timing not being retarded due to increased boost or anything of the sort.

Also helps with high compression factory engines...as it would suppress knock and in turn allow timing to be maxed out on the factory ECU.

You'll most definitely notice a difference in JDM cars though...I know when I had to fill up 95octane once (emergency) in the Aristo the car was "bogged" down like crazy but then as soon as I filled up with the 99octane Tesco stuff, it was "quicker/responsive/etc" immediately.

Also remember to reset the ECU if you did a sudden change of fuel.

• 3 months later...

ON the question of Octane Number - be aware that the Number refers only to the fuels ability to withstand knocking, and the fuel specified by the manufacturer is the one the engine is designed specifically to work most efficiently with.

The common misconception is that a higher octane is somehow a more 'super fuel grade' that will clean the plugs, give huge acceleration gains etc etc.

Equally whilst higher octane doesnt give huge gains in anything except cost, a much lower grade can do damage - in some countries (USA) for instance 89 and 92 octane are common. Meant for big engines. lower compression and allowing for some contamibation when distributed by their Nation Grid Petroleum Pipeline Systems where everything is 'fungible' in the line (ie similar in spec).

I have run labs testing Gasoline all round the world for manufacturers - the advice is - use whats recommended, higher than that is a waste. Dont use lower if you can help it, top up soonest on a simple octane and volume ratio soon as you can to get back to manufacturers spec (approx).

• 10 months later...
Ive been using 99 octane fuel instead of the standard 95 octane fuel and am convinced that acceleration is improved.

I know on my 350Z that 99 over 95 (or even 98) is better as the ignition timing is advanced as long as no knock is detected. Does this happen also with the SC?

Cheers

Paul

You will find higher octane burns cleaner being more refined therefore assisting in prolonged oxygen sensor life.

Cheers

Paul