Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hydralic Rams?

hey

id like to do something in the car that opens and closes at the press of a button. im not sure what, maybe an amp tray that rises to reveal the spare wheel or something using a hyraulic ram.

but wouldnt have a clue what one to get or where to get it from. and most of you guys on here seem to be into ur electronics and things so thought u are the best guys to ask.

are they expensive? not looking to spend lots and lots of money on it

all depending on the weight of the item being lifted - you can use air or real hydraulics. irst thing to look at is the pump as this is your main component and could be very expensive along with rams and the assocoated guides etc. I dont think it will be cheap at all but depends what cheap means to you.

ive just had a quick look on eBay, but the ones on there are for lifting things over a ton. lol

im just looking to lift an mdf tray with a couple of amps screwed to it. seen it done before on other peoples installs.

is there another route i could take then, as appose to a hydraulic ram?

id dont know really. i just figured it would be too big and get in the way, as apose to the ram.

its defintely an idea tho.

also id like to use one to be able to open and close the bonnet from inside the car. but i dont know if that would be too over the top.

you will need a pump, tubing,quick release connectors that screw into the ram, a directional selector valve (to extend and retract the ram) maybe a small accumulator also and of course the guides to ensure the rams operate in a straight line but that depends how you arrange whatever it is you are planning on moving.

the selection on eBay is very limited - you can get all different sizes etc - of course you need to know the weight of the item you plan to move and then the pressure that the pump can put out, once you know that then you can work out what diameter ram you need ( i can do that for you its really easy) but also the stroke of the ram is very important. maybe try maplins also??

hahahahahahahaha

omg, u have just confused the hell out of me!!!

it wont be for a little while but when im nearer the time of the build i will give u a pm if thats ok and ask some info if your cool with that?

cheers mate

top man for your advice

How about an electric motor, with a winch-type assembly and some string treaded through a small whole (in whatever your lifting) with a knot in the end. You could probably get all of that from a meccano kit :P

I failed my CDT O'Level btw so that probably explains my lack of imagination and the cheapness of my selection :lol: