Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

i have just purchsed a 1990 LS400, i read somewhere that if the security code has been set for the car, when i disconnect and reconnect the Battery (for any electric fix) the car will require security code

unfortunately i cant contact the ex-owner now, anybody can help?

thanks in advance

i have just purchsed a 1990 LS400, i read somewhere that if the security code has been set for the car, when i disconnect and reconnect the battery (for any electric fix) the car will require security code

unfortunately i cant contact the ex-owner now, anybody can help?

thanks in advance

It'll probably be the radio code. If I remember correctly then if the code is set you'll see SEC appear briefly in the radio display when switching on the ignition.

Code might be in the handbook, scrawled on the radio security pages. Dealer who serviced it may also have it on file.

thanks eXOBeX,

yes, it is the stock radio theft deterrent system

i will have a look at radio display while turning on the key few minutes from now (going home)

i am just afraid that if the ex-owner has activated this system (and probably with new code) then i am in trouble

hi all for anyone who needs a radio code you may find this site helpfull , i did, and for a fiver for your code you cant really go wrong www.radio-code.co.uk once you pay you get the code back instantly hope this helps

rick.

unfortunately that wont work for the Lexus radio because from the factory it is coded so the buyer has to activate the security on the radio so its not a fixed code like other systems where you read the serial number and contact the type of site you posted,

only the person who set the code knows it not even the dealer cant help you there ( it has to be taken out and put into a place that can read the CMOS ).

And the worst thing is folks if you buy a Mk4 LS400 or an LS430 with the sat nav. Then without the code if u take out the battery you have lost access to the climate control functions, the audio system, the on-scren strip computer and the sat nav ! Lovely

Hi

I don't understand I've completely disconnected my Battery on my 1998 Mk IV on a couple of occasions having to replace it twice as the original replacement was duff after 10 months and went flat with zero volts and I've never had any problems with the radio sat nav etc everything works as normal on re-connection

And the worst thing is folks if you buy a Mk4 LS400 or an LS430 with the sat nav. Then without the code if u take out the battery you have lost access to the climate control functions, the audio system, the on-scren strip computer and the sat nav ! Lovely

Hi

I don't understand I've completely disconnected my Battery on my 1998 Mk IV on a couple of occasions having to replace it twice as the original replacement was duff after 10 months and went flat with zero volts and I've never had any problems with the radio sat nav etc everything works as normal on re-connection

Hi,

I know what you mean. I have also disconnected the Battery on my Mk4 to replace it or to work on the car. There are two reasons why you didn't have any problems:

1. The Battery was disconnected for a relatively short period of time. Sometimes if you just disconnect it for just 5 or 10 mins, i've noticed that the radio on the LS400 still retains it station memories so it is still holding power somewhere. I have also experinced that if the Battery is disconnected for say 40 mins (on other cars)or more it will ask you for the code again for sure. I'm not sure how long this time is on the LS.

2. On the Mk4 LS400 with sat nav, if you go through the on-screen menu and select 'Security' you will be able to see if a security code has been set or not. If the security code has been set then chances are after disconnecting the Battery (say for 30 mins or more) it will ask you for this code again before u can start using the systems. If no code has been set, then even if you connect the Battery back on after a month it will not ask you for the code since one has not even been set. On the Sat Nav screen you can go to the menu to see if someone has set the code and if not it gives you the ability to set the code, clear it or change it. But if one has already been set up you can only change it or clear it is if you know the old code.

not sure about the satnav systems but if you could disconnect the Battery and the radio worked without the code then the security on the radio has been turned off and you can do that with these systems, the hand book suggests you turn if off for the next buyer so they dont have to pay to get the code out like I did