Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rattles Fixed

took my car in saturday for the rattles in seats to be fixed and the trim which was falling off,got a new gs 300 for the day,when i picked it up there was a list of other rattles that the technician had noticed and fixed, he had also re-programmed the ECU ? which he said would sort out the poor fuel consumption.has anybody else had this done? the car also feels different to drive than before.

took my car in saturday for the rattles in seats to be fixed and the trim which was falling off,got a new gs 300 for the day,when i picked it up there was a list of other rattles that the technician had noticed and fixed, he had also re-programmed the ECU ? which he said would sort out the poor fuel consumption.has anybody else had this done? the car also feels different to drive than before.

ECU reset, as far as I know, hasn't been done on mine. Did the technician say any more about this, is there a bulletin (TSB) on it etc?

Anyway, glad to hear that rattles are now a thing of the past for you.

J

You can get paranoid about these rattles. I had one from the centre of the dash that Lexus Newcastle fixed no problem and it has never returned. Then I noticed a one coming from the passenger side vent area. I fixed this myself by taking a small rectangle of foam and tucking it down between the A pillar and dash, tucking it out of sight with the corner of a credit card. Job done. I'm just congratulating myself when I hear an unmistakable rattle from behind me. I pretty p**sed off now and stop the car to discover it's the zip on my laptop bag that is making the noise. Perhaps these cars are too quiet inside!

Jambo

i didnt speak to the technician, but the service manager showed me his report, it said he had re-programed the ecu, i asked why and he said it improves mpg and gives a better drive?

They re packed the air veNT onmine on Friday is better but still little ratlles all over when cold. I give up!!

ALAN

Hello all,

Relatively new poster here though have been lurking for a while reading up while weighing up my options.

I'd be grateful if someone could answer a couple of simple questions.....

Are these rattles horrendous or just the odd annoying thing?

and

Are ex-demo cars any better than new ones for rattle removal? I test drove an IS250 last summer and it was smooth as you like with nothing at all rattling.

Many thanks

Martin

The rattles come in over time, as for how annoying depends on how sensitive your hearing is. For me I could hear them over the MM stereo while set at volume 12 and on the motorway. I suppose they aren't that annoying, and you do get used to them, some IS's I've driven have been worse than what mine was others slightly better but none silient.

All the new style IS's I've driven have had the problem.

Mine has now been in 4 times spread over 15 days to get it resolved and now it's 95% sorted once they actually listened to me telling them where it was rattling.

Has to go back to get the front door rattle done then it'll hopefully be quiet appart from the dashbaord. I didn't let them work on the dash as since the car is only a few months old I didn't want it made worse and it's only every so often.

Only downside to getting it fixed is that my roof has a lot of oily marks over it and they still haven't cleaned it properly. Still when it goes back hopefully it'll get valeted properly then. Apart from that I am extremly happy it's almost quiet now.

Thanks Chris,

I suppose it is all down to what you're used to and, as you say, how sensitive your hearing is. A bit annoying that yours has been in so often but not much you can do about it. At the mo I've got a Golf and the only thing rattling is half a tin of mints!

Hello all,

Relatively new poster here though have been lurking for a while reading up while weighing up my options.

I'd be grateful if someone could answer a couple of simple questions.....

Are these rattles horrendous or just the odd annoying thing?

and

Are ex-demo cars any better than new ones for rattle removal? I test drove an IS250 last summer and it was smooth as you like with nothing at all rattling.

Many thanks

Martin

Mine doesn't rattle at all and I daresay the majority don't. However, the owners of those that do quite rightly complain, and also post on this forum. If you regularly read this forum you would get the impression that rattles are an inevitable part of ownership, but believe me it isn't. I don't know why mine and others do not rattle but it doesn't, and mine was an early (December 2005) delivery. I daresay those with rattles will say mine is the exception, but I'd say theirs are. The rattles aren't just on the European model either, as there have been a few in the States, but again it's a small percentage of the total number sold. :tomato:

Simon

My dealer had informed me that Lexus were working on a fix for the poor fuel consuption. You say that the car feels different to drive than before. Is that a better kind of different? Have you noticed any change in the fuel consumption?

Thanks Tango. I've had a similar thought, in that by reading this site reasonably regularly I'd get the impression that fuel economy was crap (I got 36mpg out of the 250 on the test drive which is better than some diesel figures I've seen quoted) and that every car rattled with every inch travelled. The fuel economy thing does seem to be an ongoing problem (Oh for the introduction of IVT!) though. Out of interest I might wander over to the B*W site (apologies for my language) and see if there are similar complaints about theirs....

rpb

as yet i havnt noticed a difference in fuel consumption, generally over the course of a week the average i was getting was 29.9 mpg, i will let you no what im getting next week.

with regards driving, the car does feel better to drive i cant say why but i can tell something has been done to it.

rpb

as yet i havnt noticed a difference in fuel consumption, generally over the course of a week the average i was getting was 29.9 mpg, i will let you no what im getting next week.

with regards driving, the car does feel better to drive i cant say why but i can tell something has been done to it.

Just been in touch with Lexus Newcastle and they confirm that a fix has been developed by reprogramming ecu, to help fuel consumption etc. Booked in for Saturday morning, takes about 20mins.

P.S. I dont know why 'Warn' comes up on my posts, neither do the moderators.

I've had about 4 different courtesy cars, all new IS's, only one had no rattles, but it did have a terribly squeaky seat. On that basis 75% rattle...and 25% have a seat problem!! However, that I doubt will be acceptable as a valid sample frame!

Who knows...I'm sure that most actually don't...'cos there are more new IS's on the streets now, I see 2-3 every week, and on a run that many in a single day.

Mine is due for it's 12 month service in March (gosh golly one year gone...), so I'll get them to look over the ECU then.

Many of us posted back 10 months ago that it must be an ECU/EMU issue...

P.S. I dont know why 'Warn' comes up on my posts, neither do the moderators.

That's to show you if you've had any warnings. You can't see other peoples level unless you are a moderator or possibly admin then you'll see everyones.

Mine doesn't rattle at all and I daresay the majority don't. However, the owners of those that do quite rightly complain, and also post on this forum. If you regularly read this forum you would get the impression that rattles are an inevitable part of ownership, but believe me it isn't. I don't know why mine and others do not rattle but it doesn't, and mine was an early (December 2005) delivery. I daresay those with rattles will say mine is the exception, but I'd say theirs are. The rattles aren't just on the European model either, as there have been a few in the States, but again it's a small percentage of the total number sold. :tomato:

I'd have to agree with this. My car, although still relatively new, is as quiet as the grave.

I'd have to agree with this. My car, although still relatively new, is as quiet as the grave.

Not too sure I like your choice of simile :lol: but dare say if you said 'quiet as a mouse' some would say they squeak...glad to see there are others out there that don't rattle (or squeak).

my 220d has been in for over 2 weeks to sort out the numerous rattles and bad fuel economy..hopefully having it back monday..mind you they gave me a rx350 to use while it was in..i had to swap it for a 250 yesterday...i think i was using more fuel than a small country in the rx..it was shocking.

incidently they are changing all the injectos in mine not just the 5th one....and has ayone else notice eratic revs?...on start i was getting normal tickover but 10 mins into a journey it would shoot up to about 1400rpm..also, turning climate control on and off also affected the revs by about the same amount..i'm aware the climate control takes additional load and the ecu compensates this..but mine was over compensating....the 250 loan car hardly moves when turning climate on/off

It is so wierd. Mine does it - goes upto 1200rpm even if the AC is off. No wonder its so naff in terms of economy when pootling around the town.

Are they ECUing you to?

i just read in another thread that someone is guessing its an anti-stall precaution on oil burners...not sure myself

just called dealership to reiterate the tickover issue and to tell them lexus newcastle et all are now reprogramming ecu's so they have been informed.

proof will be in the pudding when i get the car back

It is so wierd. Mine does it - goes upto 1200rpm even if the AC is off. No wonder its so naff in terms of economy when pootling around the town.

Are they ECUing you to?

i just read in another thread that someone is guessing its an anti-stall precaution on oil burners...not sure myself

just called dealership to reiterate the tickover issue and to tell them lexus newcastle et all are now reprogramming ecu's so they have been informed.

proof will be in the pudding when i get the car back

Hmmm...i've only ever once stalled a diesel, and that was my old audi accidentally - started off in 3rd...

Diesels are notoriously dificult to stall in first gear unless you really just let the clutch up suddenly at idle...as most oilheads will know :yawn:

:offtopic: A mate with his company Astra CDTi regularly drives it from 1st-3rd without touching the accelerator in London traffic

In my experience, this is most effective way of eliminating squeaks and rattles from a Lexus.

Get a real Car, 1985 Series one RS turbo. Drive it for a couple of hundred miles and then get back in the Lexus. This will improve: Clutch, brakes, lights, sound system, upper arm and calf muscle strength and much much more.

'...on start i was getting normal tickover but 10 mins into a journey it would shoot up to about 1400rpm..also, turning climate control on and off also affected the revs by about the same amount..i'm aware the climate control takes additional load and the ecu compensates this..but mine was over compensating...

Mine does that too... perhaps I should pay the dealer a visit.

Diesels are notoriously dificult to stall in first gear

You've never driven a Mondeo TDCI then I expect. I managed to stall mine at 30mph once! It's something to do with a fly-by-wire throttle and the ECU I think. I used to have to rev the nuts off (well, up to 2000 rpm anyway) it to make sure it wouldn't stall when pulling out of side roads etc. :)