Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Opinions...

Hello there everyone once again.......

OK, my search for the Lexus continues but I would like to ask our true opinions on the differences between an IS200 SE and an IS200 Sport.

Before I spoke with a few of the members on here, I was only aware that the differences between the two were purely cosmetic:

Aluminium Pedals

Aluminium Kick Plates

Tinted Windows

Rear Spoiler

Larger Exhaust Trim

As far as I was concerned this was not enough to convince me that I desperately wanted one or the other and therefore I didn't mind which I ended up with.

I then found out that the Sport version is equipped with LSD. This changed things and I started to become more specific on the model that I wanted.

Do people think that it is an essential aspect and I should wait until I can source a Sport, or should I not disregard an SE?

I have seen plenty IS200 SE models that have really struck me and I have passed on them. Does the fitment of LSD make a noticable difference to the car's handling or is it not worth the stress? Is it possible / feasible to transplant the LSD gear from an IS200 Sport into the SE? Cost effective etc?

All feedback is greatly appreciated...

Many thanks,

Jamie

I can't personally notice any difference with the LSD .............. just go for a nice looking SE, my previous IS200 SE had all the scuff plates etc already on it !

The SE is usually cheaper to insure too ........ only slightly ;)

i dunno scarface old boy.In lee's scd IS on the roundabouts at full chat you can feel the lsd doin something special,not sure what,but it handles ten times better than my SE.Thats just what i noticed,but i suppose you also have tried both versions.It seemed to be allowing him to let the car slip,but on his perfect control of the throttle and he does drive at full chat everywhere :hehe:

To be honest I vary - I often drive to improve economy and make the contents of the wallet stretch.

Other times at the dead of night, I can be found on my own on private land practicing my launch - in a lil 1.6.

All joking apart though I've never owned a rear wheel drive car and there will be times when I'm wanting to put my foot down - either on the motorway and at the t/lights - not being wreckles though let me just clarify that.

Jamie

my RS200 does have LSD and will still step out very easily... it is and can be alot of fun, but theres a fine line......... on a damp roundabout, turn abit agressive and hit the power and thats it 360 no problem... don't want that :( now do we

Hate to say this... but a BMW seems to be way more planted at the rear.... why? i don't know....

yeah unless you are planning on driving it hard then its probably pointless getting an lsd equipped motor.agreed its that slippage that makes the car sometimes dangerous especially if you have a heavy right foot.Although after having many trips in Lees car,he seems to have got the roundabout thing down pretty well

i dunno scarface old boy.In lee's scd IS on the roundabouts at full chat you can feel the lsd doin something special,not sure what,but it handles ten times better than my SE.Thats just what i noticed,but i suppose you also have tried both versions.It seemed to be allowing him to let the car slip,but on his perfect control of the throttle and he does drive at full chat everywhere :hehe:

yes but Lee has a daddy Tein EDFC suspension set-up and uprated ARBs........... :)

Are we not confusing here what an LSD actually does? (or have I muddled myself up on the definition? :duh: )

I thought an LSD gives you more grip through corners by limiting the amount of power transferred away from the loaded wheel.......

Either way, if you drive with the traction control on, I doubt there would actually be any difference because I think that would kick in before you get to the point of spinning wheels and power transfer.......but if you want to take it to the track and really "drive" it, then the LSD might make a difference.

I can't see how it would make that much of a difference in the real world, can't actually think of many cars that actually have them in the first place ;)

As you say, all the other differences are purely cosmetic so could be added - the only thing that is in the SEs favour is the single colour steering wheel. Just my opinion but I really don't like the two-tone ones :sick:

Having owned from new a IS200 Sport '02' for 2 years and then from new a IS300 '04' for 3 years, and a high mileage driver at that, if your budget can stretch to buying a IS300 (a lot of good priced ones out there) then I would go for the comfort and refinement of the IS300 :hehe: . This isn't just a IS200 with a bigger engine ! When my 300 was in for servicing, they lent me a 200 and the lack of comfort and quietness was very noticeable, I was glad to get back into my 300. I'm not harping on about the obvious power difference here that would be unfair, because my 200 Sport was great fun indeed :hehe: and once when the sport was in for servicing I was lent a SE and that was even more inferior to drive with loads of body roll etc. :duh: , the SE was an automatic and oddly enough was much quicker from 0- on accelaration than the manual 6 speed of my sport!

The IS300 is an auto but does come with manual gears on the steering wheel and an LSD on the rear wheels ! :lol:

This maybe of some help towards your decision and may also 'spark-off' some heated debate :whistling: , but overall your driving style could be analysed as follows:

1/ Concerned MPG driver, not too bothered about gismos = IS200 se

2/ Likes gismos and looks, may modify later, looking for good solid handling, don't mind changing gear a lot and could do with a 7th gear for motorway driving :whistling: = IS200 Sport

3/ Same looks & gismos as Sport, Sod the MPG (mind you I get 32 at max), great for around town with no constant gear changing, likes comfort and refinement & POWER! = IS300

most performance cars have a diff parthiban,like the rs4,all the M cars,s4,porsche boxster etc.I know that Lee drives with trc off most of the time,he doesnt like it.Admittedly the advantage Lee's car has over any SE is the tein,but most s/cd cars have TTE arbs fitted.The lsd certainly makes a difference when driving hard.Im sure off it.id go sport buddy

most performance cars have a diff parthiban,like the rs4,all the M cars,s4,porsche boxster etc.I know that Lee drives with trc off most of the time,he doesnt like it.Admittedly the advantage Lee's car has over any SE is the tein,but most s/cd cars have TTE arbs fitted.The lsd certainly makes a difference when driving hard.Im sure off it.id go sport buddy

Oh yeah I know proper performance cars all have LSDs, but they really need them :winky:

I can't think of many more "ordinary" cars that have them, I know my brother's 3ltr Z4 doesn't have one. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is the RX-8 (because they said on top gear on sunday :lol: )

But yeah, I doubt the price difference is huge, so if you find a good Sport, def go for that as you will get more for your money :)

From the responses I've had, I'm open to either the SE or the Sport to be honest, it's just I've searched for just over 2 months now and have been unable to find one. My renewal is up at the end of this month and I don't want to be renewing the insurance on my current car.

I can't afford an IS300 - well, I can possibly afford the car, but not the insurance and the economy in all honesty. This seems to be the case with most cars it seems :)

Jamie

Are we not confusing here what an LSD actually does? (or have I muddled myself up on the definition? :duh: )

I thought an LSD gives you more grip through corners by limiting the amount of power transferred away from the loaded wheel.......

Either way, if you drive with the traction control on, I doubt there would actually be any difference because I think that would kick in before you get to the point of spinning wheels and power transfer.......but if you want to take it to the track and really "drive" it, then the LSD might make a difference.

I can't see how it would make that much of a difference in the real world, can't actually think of many cars that actually have them in the first place ;)

As you say, all the other differences are purely cosmetic so could be added - the only thing that is in the SEs favour is the single colour steering wheel. Just my opinion but I really don't like the two-tone ones :sick:

No.

it doesnt give any extra grip at all.

But your very right it doesnt make a huge difference in the real world.

In a nutshell all cars need to have a differential - because when you go around a corner, the outside wheel travels further than the inside wheel, so the wheels need to spin at a different rate.

So, when your delivering power to these wheels, the power can, in certain circumstances, be unevenly biased.

Imagine going around a wet roundabout, flooring the throttle, 9 times out of 10 the inside wheel will start spinning, which will result in the back end kicking out.

A Limited Slip Differential does exactly what it says on the tin, it limits the amount of slip to any wheel, so in our example, the inside wheel could still spin, however the outside wheel will still have *say* 25% of the power.

So, if you want nice big controllable powerslides, like in drifting, you need a LSD. If your very heavy footed in very bad weather, a LSD may counteract your bad driving to a degree.

However, when I tried a sport, i found it 'numbed' the connection with the road somewhat, the SE I found had more feel to the clutch and gearbox, and I seemed to find it easier to gauge when i could put the power down much better compared to the Sport.

But its horses for courses, it all comes down to what you want out of a car - for me a few splashes of Aluminium and a LSD didn't warrant waiting for a sport when the right spec car turned up as an SE.

I would advise the same to Jammie, buy the car based on Spec/History/Condition rather than being too specific.. otherwise he could be shopping for a long time