Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Member - Few Questions

Hello all.

I'm just about to join lexus ownership. swapped my 2003 celica t-sport for a 2003 lexus is200 SE with 50,000 miles

im taking a bit of a power loss to the lexus but the IS200 is just s much more comfy and easier to live with. should be picking it up this saturday.

i wanted to ask a few questions which i forgot to ask the dealer about.

1 - does the IS200 have a timing chain or cam belt?

2 - is there a way like the celica to enable auto locking when the ignition is turned on?

3 - is there a recommended reverse sensor to fit to the lexus?

4 - finally anyone have any dealings with guildford lexus? are their prices reasonable for services?

cheers

You need an aftermarket alarm system to enable autolocking on the IS, the standard alarm doesn't support this.

As for the reverse sensors, to be honest you're better off getting third party ones with a screen as any that just beep can clash with the reverse sensor noise that you get when you engage reverse on the IS!

Welcome to LOC :)

thanks for the replies and answers.

Im surprised Lexus still used the cambelt system for the IS and not timing chain. oh well.

shame about the standard alarm not allowing anti jacking. its not the most desirable car in the world but it adds peace of mind having the doors locked.

you could always flich the lock swith when you get into the car to lock yourself in !

yeah very true but always human error or forgetting to flick it, its more for peace of mind.

i read somewhere on here a possible way of connecting the locks to the ignition to send a 12v signal to the lock relay to lock and unlock. would be interesting to see if anyone has done this.

you could always flich the lock swith when you get into the car to lock yourself in !

I do that sometimes if i'm going through a rough area. Although I don't think its very safe to do it, if you need to get out quick and you are in a panic you can't open the door just by pulling the inside handle.

Rs200 drivers door opens by just pulling the handle when it's locked....

That's bizarre, why would they stop the doors on the Lexus open from the inside when locked??

Yep it's one of the things that really irritates me that you can't open the doors when they're locked - even worse that the new IS doesn't do it either

Rs200 drivers door opens by just pulling the handle when it's locked....

That's bizarre, why would they stop the doors on the Lexus open from the inside when locked??

Yep it's one of the things that really irritates me that you can't open the doors when they're locked - even worse that the new IS doesn't do it either

My doors open from the inside when they're locked.

Im surprised Lexus still used the cambelt system for the IS and not timing chain. oh well.

the belts last 100'000 miles or 6 years so not a problem, chains start to rattle badly after about 150'000 and then it costs a fortune to replace everything.

belt is £30 tentioner is £40 and a good garage £60 so it's cheap and reliable. :D

glad you like your car.

• 2 months later...

i had a celica 190 in thunder grey! i loved it and the fact that it had a timing chain just for the fact that it didnt need servicing! never had a prob with it either.. now ive got a lexus.. so youre quite like me!! i suppose the chain can rattle after a while come to think about it!

miss the power of the 190 and mpg is not as good but

Every1 seems to like the lexus more... so its all good!