Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Jan 2007 Is220d Executive...superb...very Happy

Hello everyone,

I've been reading this forum for over 9 months trying to get a fix on the new IS models.

Having driven two Mercedes E Class petrol over the last 10 years and also my needs changing re: family etc.

I finally decided to go Diesel and more to the point... Lexus Diesel. I test drove the BMW 320D and whilst it is an excellent car I opted for the Lexus IS220 D Executive...Metallic Biege...Moonroof...Ivory Leather trim...standar sound system..NO SatNav. More for your money!...Simple decision.

I was anxious...as you would be when laying out Euro 53,000 for this spec in Ireland.

It is a truly fabulous car!...My wife and I are thrilled with it...it's way ahead of the BMW for us...we're both in our mid fifties and just getting in and out of the car is a big plus for the Lexus. I read with interest comments re: the gearing...I agree its different...but when you get used to it, no problem! When the horses kick in WOW! Thankfully the car does not suffer (at the moment) from the infamous rattles and creaks as some owners reported experiencing in earlier models...perhaps Lexus have kept quiet about the fact that they have fixed the problem in the production process...fingers crossed they have.

I drive conservatively (observe speed limits) I've only had the car 9 days but have done 1450 +klms (900 mls)...both my average and tank average are 7.1 litres per 100 klms...thats 40 mpg straight out of the box...again I'm happy with this and hopefully by 15000 klms the car's engine will have eased itself in nicely with an extra bonus in terms of Litres per 100 klm or mpg.

The spare wheel isn't my idea of a spare wheel but I'll get over it ...the rest of the car IMHO is superb. I have read with interest comments about the space in the back??? No problems ...one of my sons is 6'-4" and the other 6'-3" they had no complaints. My wife also sat in the back for a 100 mile trip again very comfortable and no leg room issues and she's 5'-10".

In summary (so far) we're delighted with our choice...I consider it a drivers car, if its a challenge to drive accept the challenge and drive it with enjoyment in the positive knowledge that its as good as anything in its class. Its spec is better than anything in its class. Having driven good german cars for the last 10 years I have in some points of view dropped down the scale, but let me assure you all I genuinely feel that this is as good a car as I have ever driven....Long may it last.

Hello everyone,

I've been reading this forum for over 9 months trying to get a fix on the new IS models.

Having driven two Mercedes E Class petrol over the last 10 years and also my needs changing re: family etc.

I finally decided to go Diesel and more to the point... Lexus Diesel. I test drove the BMW 320D and whilst it is an excellent car I opted for the Lexus IS220 D Executive...Metallic Biege...Moonroof...Ivory Leather trim...standar sound system..NO SatNav. More for your money!...Simple decision.

I was anxious...as you would be when laying out Euro 53,000 for this spec in Ireland.

It is a truly fabulous car!...My wife and I are thrilled with it...it's way ahead of the BMW for us...we're both in our mid fifties and just getting in and out of the car is a big plus for the Lexus. I read with interest comments re: the gearing...I agree its different...but when you get used to it, no problem! When the horses kick in WOW! Thankfully the car does not suffer (at the moment) from the infamous rattles and creaks as some owners reported experiencing in earlier models...perhaps Lexus have kept quiet about the fact that they have fixed the problem in the production process...fingers crossed they have.

I drive conservatively (observe speed limits) I've only had the car 9 days but have done 1450 +klms (900 mls)...both my average and tank average are 7.1 litres per 100 klms...thats 40 mpg straight out of the box...again I'm happy with this and hopefully by 15000 klms the car's engine will have eased itself in nicely with an extra bonus in terms of Litres per 100 klm or mpg.

The spare wheel isn't my idea of a spare wheel but I'll get over it ...the rest of the car IMHO is superb. I have read with interest comments about the space in the back??? No problems ...one of my sons is 6'-4" and the other 6'-3" they had no complaints. My wife also sat in the back for a 100 mile trip again very comfortable and no leg room issues and she's 5'-10".

In summary (so far) we're delighted with our choice...I consider it a drivers car, if its a challenge to drive accept the challenge and drive it with enjoyment in the positive knowledge that its as good as anything in its class. Its spec is better than anything in its class. Having driven good german cars for the last 10 years I have in some points of view dropped down the scale, but let me assure you all I genuinely feel that this is as good a car as I have ever driven....Long may it last.

Gald your happy with your IS had mine 1 week Now (IS220D Se-l with MM) and agree with all your comments but you should have got the Multi media Package it's amazing well worth the extra dosh I say.

Anyway Happy Motoring

Leddy :D :D

Gald your happy with your IS had mine 1 week Now (IS220D Se-l with MM) and agree with all your comments but you should have got the Multi media Package it's amazing well worth the extra dosh I say.

Anyway Happy Motoring

Sorry, but I agree with Leddy too. Without the MM the residual value isn't as good, from what I've seen, since everyone wants it.

It's unbelievably good value for money, too.

Glad you like your new car, though!

G

Anyway Happy Motoring

Sorry, but I agree with Leddy too. Without the MM the residual value isn't as good, from what I've seen, since everyone wants it.

G

Let me explain why this might be the case in Ireland.

In the UK a standard IS220d with Multimedia is £25,825 (€39,082)

In Ireland a standard IS220d with Multimedia is €49,225 (£32,520)

Does that clear it up.

Over here we pay about 30% VRT (vehicle registration tax) on all imported vehicles over 1800cc. That 30% is also added to any options that are factory fitted. Then you add on a nice 21% VAT

However our pre tax prices are lower then the UK pre tax prices.

Anyway Happy Motoring

G

A pertinent point to make RE: MM is that cars even pro rata are much dearer in Ireland... I paid Euro 53,000 is approx STG£ 34,500 for my spec as described with MM it would be much more expensive here due to having to pay for MM and having to pay both 21% VAT and 30% VRT (Vehicle Registration Tax) thats 51% Tax...this kind of tax burden out weighs residuals over here. Another Example is 1 years car tax here Euro755 thats STG£491 it all adds up....then insurance is also expensive here. Would I have liked MM YES but in my mid fifties its not that important to me. Thank you for your comments.

Let me explain why this might be the case in Ireland.

In the UK a standard IS220d with Multimedia is £25,825 (€39,082)

In Ireland a standard IS220d with Multimedia is €49,225 (£32,520)

Does that clear it up.

Over here we pay about 30% VRT (vehicle registration tax) on all imported vehicles over 1800cc. That 30% is also added to any options that are factory fitted. Then you add on a nice 21% VAT

However our pre tax prices are lower then the UK pre tax prices.

A bit.

In other words: MM costs £3.5k in ireland

In the UK it costs £2.3k

Depends what it does to the value of the car in the future, though, especially if it's on finance.

G

A pertinent point to make RE: MM is that cars even pro rata are much dearer in Ireland... I paid Euro 53,000 is approx STG£ 34,500 for my spec as described with MM it would be much more expensive here due to having to pay for MM and having to pay both 21% VAT and 30% VRT (Vehicle Registration Tax) thats 51% Tax...this kind of tax burden out weighs residuals over here. Another Example is 1 years car tax here Euro755 thats STG£491 it all adds up....then insurance is also expensive here. Would I have liked MM YES but in my mid fifties its not that important to me. Thank you for your comments.

If it's not important to you then I guess that makes a big difference too.

Personally I love all of the little extras you get with the MM.

How do you find the boot (no I don't mean "I walk round the back"!!)? I was doing a bit of digging last night and it seems it's no bigger in volume than my Golf. Presumably I can get a set of clubs in there comfortably?

Thanks, and congrats on the new purchase.

How do you find the boot (no I don't mean "I walk round the back"!!)? I was doing a bit of digging last night and it seems it's no bigger in volume than my Golf. Presumably I can get a set of clubs in there comfortably?

Thanks, and congrats on the new purchase.

The boot is certainly smaller than the E class Mercedes which I last drove but I've put our two large enough suitcases in which we use to travel all over the world...they fit fine. Used to play golf have all the kit ...bag ...trolley etc., must admit that I have not tried them but I doubt very much I'll be golfing much in any case. Looking at it though, I would imagine it would be tight, maybe someone else can help you out... thanks

Lexus made a big deal about being able to get your clubs in the boot, so a simple golf bag ought to fit. There would be nothing worse then going to the club house car park, and getting your clubs out of a trailer, or waiting for the carpark to be empty and then getting them off the back seat!!!

Anyway, glad to see you're enjoying it. I've had my whinging moments, but don't let us complainers spoil your fun - if it fits your bill then enjoy!!