Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My Altezza Smells!

IRLRs200

Just noticed a nasty smell from my RS recently. Say when accelerating fast from a stand still up to about 120kmh/70mphrevving to about 6500rpm.(its not burning rubber!) Never smelled anything like this before. I've done 10000km approx since i bought the thing in August. Its due an oil a filter change at the weekend. Could it possily be a sign the clutch is on its way out? Checked the clutch fluid and it seems fine. Any ideas?

Slipping Clutch smells like fish.... like alot of things :lol:

Would this show up in the NCT? Due to go for it in March?

Car is still under warranty would the clutch be covered in that?

NCT don't check as much as you think.... Safety and pollution is all they do... i got a cert for my old galant with only 3 gears working.. lol

warrenty? didn't you get it from a relation? surely he'll sort you out.... I'd be more worried with the fact of getting it Dyno-ed

might be worth thinking about paying a bit more and get an upgraded one,

FIRST thing to do is find out for sure is it the clutch?

Slipping Clutch smells like fish.... like alot of things :lol:

Would this show up in the NCT? Due to go for it in March?

Car is still under warranty would the clutch be covered in that?

NCT don't check as much as you think.... Safety and pollution is all they do... i got a cert for my old galant with only 3 gears working.. lol

warrenty? didn't you get it from a relation? surely he'll sort you out.... I'd be more worried with the fact of getting it Dyno-ed

might be worth thinking about paying a bit more and get an upgraded one,

FIRST thing to do is find out for sure is it the clutch?

Ah ye got if off my uncles place, with a 6 month warranty, would have no problem getting it replaced out of warranty just might have to pay a bit. How much would there be in the difference between the standard replacement clutch and an uprated one. If it is a slipping clutch can it be fixed or is it usually replaced?

could be the cat :unsure: think people have said they can smell a bit

as for new clutch on warranty, don't think so as it's a change/replaceable part like brake pads ect ect

what millage has the car done ??

I've been looking into uprated clutches as I'm gonna need to put 1 in for the next round of mods I've got planned as I'm gonna be at the top of what the standard clutch will take

your looking £250 upwards depending on what you get

could be the cat :unsure: think people have said they can smell a bit

as for new clutch on warranty, don't think so as it's a change/replaceable part like brake pads ect ect

what millage has the car done ??

I've been looking into uprated clutches as I'm gonna need to put 1 in for the next round of mods I've got planned as I'm gonna be at the top of what the standard clutch will take

your looking £250 upwards depending on what you get

Its done about 68000 miles, about 7000 since it got its full service in august

You should notice the clutch slipping before smelling it normally....

clutch slips through wear so no you can't fix it.

warrenty's are usually so many miles or months... whichever comes first, clutch unlikely to be covered as you could have being doing rapid take offs since you got the car which is hardly the garages fault that it wore out.... :)

describe how she's driving?

would of thought the clutch would be ok then

mine's started to slip abit but thats only really been when the car is under a lot of load like pulling off at a steep hill and when you punch it from a standing start but never slips in normal day to day driving so no clutch smell

I'm sure some else has had a similar problem

You should notice the clutch slipping before smelling it normally....

clutch slips through wear so no you can't fix it.

warrenty's are usually so many miles or months... whichever comes first, clutch unlikely to be covered as you could have being doing rapid take offs since you got the car which is hardly the garages fault that it wore out.... :)

describe how she's driving?

Thing is i dont know what a slipping clutch is like, never happened to me before this is only my second motor! Sometimes when im putting the foot down, say just after going through the toll bridge, revvin to about 7000rpm in first, second then into 3rd at about 6500rpm, sometimes the car seems to be revving higher but not going as fast as usual. Makes sense, or say drivin along stuck in traffic and u get a bit of straight to put the foot down. the back to stuck in traffic, there would be a bit of a smell inside the car and out. Maybe im just pushing her too hard? Dizz said he would have a look at it over the weekend for me

Sounds like the a clutch to me, when you put your foot down the revs will rise then a second or two later the car will pickup. Mine is starting to do the same after 102K miles

Ah ****! So can u recommend a good uprated clutch that doesnt cost a fortune? And is it worthwhile getting a lighweight flywheel at the same time? no idea how much they cost

Sounds like the a clutch to me, when you put your foot down the revs will rise then a second or two later the car will pickup. Mine is starting to do the same after 102K miles

Ah ****! So can u recommend a good uprated clutch that doesnt cost a fortune? And is it worthwhile getting a lighweight flywheel at the same time? no idea how much they cost

tbh, i'd wait and see what Dizz says. It is quite hard to diagnose something without seeing it.

Clutch wise i've gone for the Helix, not sure about the flywheel.

tbh, i'd wait and see what Dizz says. It is quite hard to diagnose something without seeing it.

Clutch wise i've gone for the Helix, not sure about the flywheel.

Ye hopefully its nothing :blush: just me be paranoid thanks for the info anyway Lee

Yup... i agree, i've gone through a good few clutches over the years.... :blush:

Don't know how much it will cost for a new standard one, but i'd guess around 400 yo-yo's + labour ;)

Yup... i agree, i've gone through a good few clutches over the years.... :blush:

Don't know how much it will cost for a new standard one, but i'd guess around 400 yo-yo's + labour ;)

Well if it is gone i think ill get and uprated Helix one. Think i can get one of those for about 500. Should be worth the few extra quid

Well if it is gone i think ill get and uprated Helix one. Think i can get one of those for about 500. Should be worth the few extra quid

Get it checked out before going Dyno-ing... :winky:

Get it checked out before going Dyno-ing... :winky:

Why could the dyno damage it more? Or just to get a more accurate power reading?

Well i could be wrong but..... I think it's probably a waste of money dyno-ing your car if your clutch is slipping....results can't be accurate

Well i could be wrong but..... I think it's probably a waste of money dyno-ing your car if your clutch is slipping....results can't be accurate

All will be revealed over the weekend, if Dizz gets a chance to look at it :blush: Fingers crossed its ok!

So got the clutch diagnosed today by Dr. Dizz! and it he couldnt find anthing wrong with the clutch, no slipping or loss of power so thats good news! Cheers Dizz. I owe ya a pint

So what is the smell then?

Fooked if i know :question::question::question::question: Maybe dirt in the engine somewhere, Sometime i let the petrol run right down to the last drop. Expensive things to run these cars!