Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Yes, chains are only for serious weather. even the Czechs don't use them that often. They've all got winter tyres though. They seem to make a hell of a difference even on RWD cars. I'd tell you if I had some but I run on summer tyres all year and get the chains out only when i get stuck.

This might be a decent alternative to snowchains for the UK:

AutoSock

I've never tried them myself, but I think I'll get a pair as back to the snowchains for my upcoming trip to the Alps!

Good find buddy - they look nice! I bet the modding brigade will ask if they can be coloured co-ordinated... :lol: (something called Colour Coding I think)

Extract taken from faq section -

Q5 Is there anything else I should know about?

A5 Nothing to be concerned about, although certain users may wish to note that

you can use them with your vehicle's electronic aids left on, unlike snow chains which should NOT be used with traction control and anti skid devices (e.g. ESP / ASC+T / ASR / ABS).

they are breathable so there's no adverse effect on brake cooling.

it's recommended that users of rear wheel drive cars should also fit a set to the front wheels to provide better directional stability, especially under braking.

after looking into tyres etc it came to around the £500 mark.

so being cheap i bought a 4x4 and took the lex off the road.

came out about the same as tyres but i dont have to worry about my lex and i can sel the 4x4 when winters passed, may even make money off the jeep so its all good lol.

the £350 beast ( it dominates in the snow! )

pic0002bg5.jpg

lol

jay

Extract taken from faq section -

Q5 Is there anything else I should know about?

A5 Nothing to be concerned about, although certain users may wish to note that

you can use them with your vehicle's electronic aids left on, unlike snow chains which should NOT be used with traction control and anti skid devices (e.g. ESP / ASC+T / ASR / ABS).

they are breathable so there's no adverse effect on brake cooling.

it's recommended that users of rear wheel drive cars should also fit a set to the front wheels to provide better directional stability, especially under braking.

My understanding was that if you fit a traction device (be that snow chains or the delightful SnowPants) to just the rear wheels of RWD car then you'll probably get a fair amount of understeer but at least you'll avoid the 180 spins!

Am i the only one who had no trouble in the Ice and snow in my IS200, I just took it slow and didnt try to race aroud.

I Lice in the the south east where we got about 5mm and i also live on unsalted roads, i just took it easy and was fine.

The trainstation carpark on the other hand :D

I find it hilarious how UK drivers react to snow...

It only takes a slight adjustment in driving, as Fluffy Bunny feet says, if your really worried, switch to winter tyres.

YOU WONT NEED CHAINS IN THE UK - ever.

Fact.

I didn't need chains in Canada driving around the rockies, so why anyone would get them over here is beyond me.

Just adjust your driving, think ahead, drive smooth, read the road. Use the engine and the gears, avoid sharp braking or unnessacery sharpness and you'll be fine!

Sure am glad i bought the jeep. Was up in the mountains yesterday and got stuck in some pretty savage snow.

this was about the final straw for the jeep when we hut 3ft of snow on one side, couldn't get the doors open to start with lol.

about to dig it out lol.

photo0227bt7.jpg

proves ya might need a bit more than winter tyres in some places in scotland lol.

jay

problem with most Lexus in the snow is not just RWD but very very sharp throttle response which leads to :

1) traction control on, touch accelerator , wheel spins, power cuts....go nowhere

or

2) traction control off, touch accelerator , wheel spins....go nowhere :)

I have driven IS, GS, LS, RX and best of the RWD was LS because it had very long throw throttle with gentle action. The IS was bad, the GS was comical....

problem with most Lexus in the snow is not just RWD but very very sharp throttle response which leads to :

1) traction control on, touch accelerator , wheel spins, power cuts....go nowhere

or

I have driven IS, GS, LS, RX and best of the RWD was LS because it had very long throw throttle with gentle action. The IS was bad, the GS was comical....

The problem is that you don't have winter tyres. I had no problems with the is250 in the snow so far.

So instead of thinking of chains, socks and just running on second gear, spend some money on tyres, it is worth it.

or

The problem is that you don't have winter tyres. I had no problems with the is250 in the snow so far.

So instead of thinking of chains, socks and just running on second gear, spend some money on tyres, it is worth it.

ah ha! someone that has sense!! :D

last week I was on ski holiday. Plenty of snow everywhere, so after experience with daddy's merc I borrowed snow chains and - I haven't used them!

I haven't had troubles at all on all types of surfaces - ice, fresh snow, hard snow, melted snow... I stopped on all steep hills and tried to move again - with no problems. Also reversing was no problem.

For winter I use 205/55 16" tires, pirelli Sottozero.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links