Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

There has been alot of debate and comparisons regarding the mpg of the GS300 model, so I thought I would try and give a test:

Car: Lexus GS 300 Sport

Mileage: 120,000

Service details:

Usually do it myself,

Oil Changed: 2,000 miles ago, oil used Halfords Fully Syn, Air Fliter changed 2,000 miles ago.

The Run: Milton Keynes to Sheffield (120 miles, i think)

Time: Midnight (never needed to slow down or speed up)

Tyre Presures: 32PSI all round

Load: Just me and a suitcase

Outside Temp: 3C

Average Speed (on Cruise): 73mph on Speedo (70mph according to Computer)

Total MPG: 28.4MPG

Is this any good?

I take it that you got that figure via your computer.I prefer to fill to top of neck to check consumption.That doesnt seem too bad though,but running with no weight at a constant speed I would expect around 31mpg from mine(series1 Sport 133K.

I was interested to read your consumption. I have just bought a new GS 300 and have nearly 4000 Kms on the clock at present.

I thought that the consumption was rediculously high and now I feel that I am right. I am at altitude (5000 ft ASL) and around town, I get about 17 l/100 kms, which is about 13.8 MPG.

Surely that is way too high?

So many factors to take into account. I recently dashed from Bournemouth to London (99 miles each way) and back on a Sunday afternoon. Having filled up with standard unleaded from BP. I got around 360 from a tank. Then having filled with standard Shell unleaded and doing my normal weekly driving (Bournemouth to Southampton everyday) 72 miles a day I got 340 from a tank. Filling up at Asda's or Sainsbury's I get 320 miles.

Don't know if this helps.

The only other thing I want to say is that driving my GS is a joy no matter what fuel it takes.

Don't know about new 300.Mine gets between 14 and 20 on short runs-6 miles each way to work about 14/15 mpg.Up to 20 if running round a bit more when engine has got up to reasonable temperature.

:-(

I do 22 mile to work and 22 mile home. Motorway (m3). Average speed is usual about 40-50mph.

Currently I get between 18 and 21 MPG.

Total about 280-300 to a tank...

I have check the two front o2 sensors and I there resistance is ok. Is it work replacing them anyway?

Any ideas any one?? please???

I do 22 mile to work and 22 mile home. Motorway (m3). Average speed is usual about 40-50mph.

I have check the two front o2 sensors and I there resistance is ok. Is it work replacing them anyway?

Yesteday, I got an average of 30mpg at 65mph (constant speed on M1 , so 18 and 21 are pretty low. Could be your sparks, Oxygen sensors or air filter blocked

You may be averaging 40 - 50 but is that your typical speed? Or are you slowing right down in traffic, and then accelerating, before braking again? If you're not doing a constant speed then you'll drink fuel...

Otherwise check all your tyre pressures, binding brakes, old air filter etc. Plus as mentioned the O2 sensors.

Mike

I must do mine some time ,had to fill up other day after clocking up a massive 254 miles out of a full tank, thing is i kinda drive like an old man, some one out there tell me 250 miles from a full tank aint normal

;)

I must do mine some time ,had to fill up other day after clocking up a massive 254 miles out of a full tank, thing is i kinda drive like an old man, some one out there tell me 250 miles from a full tank aint normal

;)

95% of my driving is on motorways, I'm always between 70 and never over 80mph, other 5% in town centres and long contry roads. I too drive like an old man, and get about 26mpg.

I got 340 mile from my tank (until the pump stopped to fuel computer telling me I have 5 miles left). I averaged 69mph on the A1. (again never over 80mph).

Is that any good?

I have not had my car that long plus Im in gas so always driving on gas, but when I 1st brought the car I topped it up with £35 texaco unleaded at 82.9p roughly 42 ltrs and drove the car back home 200 miles on the motorway.

first 80 miles was at 70mph Then I was stop starting for about 20mins atleast due to lane closures for about 10 miles and then 80-90mph last 110miles, and did another 70 miles locally driving around town, and still had about £3 of petrol left before I switched over to lpg

- from my point of view that seems good :D

Therefore mine was hiting at around 28mpg :)

Since then I have not really driven it on petrol. I will try it soon to see how it is like locally and will compare it to my other cars and see it if really that much more expensive and juicey.

my previous car - primera eGT modded (zort,header,CAI etc) did roughly 70miles on £10 about 11ltrs local driving

I have new GS300SE and averaged 40 mpg over a 70 mile stretch which wasn't all straight, some roundabouts and hills, speed averaged at around 60mph with regular over 70 - 80. Round town I usually average around the 26mph. I feel the consumption is way better than I expected and is just one of the things I am impressed about about the GS.

To be honest I just sold my GS300 because of its lousy fuel consumption. I changed the air filter, O2 sensors, kept the tyres propoerly inflated etc. etc. and was getting at best low twenties. I think the car was as good as it could be.

Check out the link below - 24.8mpg combined for a brand new car!!

http://www.lexus.co.uk/approved_preowned/s...ERFORMANCE+DATA

The slightly detuned Legatos are a bit, but not much, better.

I think its more to do with the laws of physics - 1.7 tonnes of car with a 3 litre lump and auto is not going to be an economy car however well it is setup.

Much as I loved the car it had to go I simply can't affford this kind of fuel bill.

Simon