Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello And A Question

jeromek

Hi there,

I'd just like to say that this is a fanstastic resource for Lexus owners and pre-owners and it's been a big help to me over the last few weeks. I bought a (UK Import) 00 IS200 Sport last week and I'm absolutely delighted with it. There's a bit of a problem though.

I only got the valet key when I bought it. The guy claims that he only got one key, and I'm inclined to believe him. I hope.

But I can't open the boot. The key doesn't fit in the lock (since it's the valet key) and the internal boot release handle doesn't work. I saw the inside of the boot when I looked at it a couple of days before I bought it. I've been reading about and I think the car might be in Valet Mode. If so, is there any way to turn it off? And if so, is there any conceivable way it could have been turned on without the master key? (I.e. does the guy I bought it from still have the master key?)

Or is the cable for the release just loose or something?

I'd really appreciate your opinion on this one guys, I'm getting a bit paranoid!

tell me which way the key slot is on the boot - that will tell you if the previous owner has a key or not ... the boot opening can ONLY be deactivated by using a master key - u do this by turning the boot lock.

Also be aware that as you only have the valet key you can not make an copies of the security code for safe keeping and if you loose that key you are looking at a bill of approx £2000 +

It's aligned vertically. What does this mean?

Yeah, I've been reading some of the other forums on the valet key thing. I think I'll just have to be super-careful with the key I have!

Cheers mate...

If it's vertical then the internal release lever should work - horizontal would mean it was disabled.

The boot lid isn't just "stuck" on the seals is it? sometimes I have to give mine a good tug :blush: to open it.

Not having a master key is not good news though.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm afraid I'm a complete noobie at the moment, but I hope I can contribute something worthwhile here eventually.

Now, where do I get an amp bypass lead for my IS200?

Only joking!

If it's vertical then the internal release lever should work - horizontal would mean it was disabled.

The boot lid isn't just "stuck" on the seals is it? sometimes I have to give mine a good tug :blush: to open it.

Phew, that's a weight off my mind anyway.

I just tried it there and the lock definitely isn't disengaging. I gave it a good hard tug (ahem) and no movement. The internal boot release feels loose - there's no positive feedback when you pull it and it travels as far as the lever mechanism will allow it. Maybe the cable is after slipping or something? If so, anyone know how to get at it? Or should I just bring it along to Mr T and brace myself?

Not having a master key is not good news though.

I know. That's one mistake I'll never make again.

the cable end latches/clips into the release mechanism so it cant fall out unless there is something really wrong. sound a bit strange but try have a look thru into the boot from the ski hatch in the rear seat - u might see why its not opening.... though with the lock in the vertical position it should operate with the handle.

does the handle have any resistance or does back to the floor when you release it? because the lever at the lock has a spring on it and this u would feel.

I've rang the guy I bought it from about it twice and he claims that he never had any problem getting it open. He used the internal release lever and it was fine. Seems odd that it would stop working the day that he got rid of it, doesn't it? It did go for its NCT (Irish version of the MOT) immediately before I bought it, so maybe they screwed it up.

I took a look into the boot through the ski hatch and there's nothing obviously jamming it. There is no noticeable movement around the lock when the release lever is pulled. The lever feels loose but it's definitely connected to something. I can hear something moving back there - it just doesn't seem to do anything. The lever falls back down but it's not 'floppy'.

Thanks for your help.

I've rang the guy I bought it from about it twice and he claims that he never had any problem getting it open. He used the internal release lever and it was fine. Seems odd that it would stop working the day that he got rid of it, doesn't it? It did go for its NCT (Irish version of the MOT) immediately before I bought it, so maybe they screwed it up.

I took a look into the boot through the ski hatch and there's nothing obviously jamming it. There is no noticeable movement around the lock when the release lever is pulled. The lever feels loose but it's definitely connected to something. I can hear something moving back there - it just doesn't seem to do anything. The lever falls back down but it's not 'floppy'.

Thanks for your help.

if you order a master key blade off e-bay you can take it too a key cutters and get it cut using the valet key. the only difference to the metal part of the key is that the vallet key is a solid rectangle looking at it from the end and the master has 4 grooves cut out so its just 1mm narrower in the corners. costs about £6 for the blank and £6 for cutting, it will not start the car but it will mean you can get in the boot and glove box. it will work but as the rest say you wont be able to reprogram a master key from a valet so don't lose it.

craig

ps diagram of keys from the end, valet on left master on right

key.jpg

if you order a master key blade off e-bay you can take it too a key cutters and get it cut using the valet key. the only difference to the metal part of the key is that the vallet key is a solid rectangle looking at it from the end and the master has 4 grooves cut out so its just 1mm narrower in the corners. costs about £6 for the blank and £6 for cutting, it will not start the car but it will mean you can get in the boot and glove box. it will work but as the rest say you wont be able to reprogram a master key from a valet so don't lose it.

[\quote]

That's handy to know - I've only got a sub key, so it would be good to have a spare that can at least unlock the doors/boot/glovebox in an emergency.

if you order a master key blade off e-bay you can take it too a key cutters and get it cut using the valet key.

That's great - I'll order a blank master key from eBay straight away. Hopefully once I get the boot open I'll be able to figure out what's wrong with the internal release mechanism.

Nice one.

if you order a master key blade off e-bay you can take it too a key cutters and get it cut using the valet key.

That's great - I'll order a blank master key from eBay straight away. Hopefully once I get the boot open I'll be able to figure out what's wrong with the internal release mechanism.

Nice one.

Just warning you, make sure the shop is pretty good as I had 2 blanks butchered by 1 place, also if it doesn't work try taking the key out turning the key 180 degrees, re-insert and try again, all the locks read one side only so if one side of the new key is not cut right the other side may still be OK.

• 2 weeks later...

fatpieman69 you're a genius! Got the keyblade off eBay today, brought it out to a key cutter and got the boot open no problem. Nice one man, you saved me mega-bucks there (Lexus Ireland were looking for about 300 or 400 euro - I got it done for 35).

Also, the locksmith guy reckons he can also copy to codes off the valet key. He has a special machine for the job and he reckons it's no problem. I think it's worth a shot anyway - does anybody know of any potential problems that could arise? I.e. is there any possibility of wiping the codes off the original valet key in the process?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links