Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Is200 Hid Kit Problem :(

Hi,

I just bought myself an HID Kit for the Lexus IS200. Someone else was installing it for me. The problem is that only the driver's side light comes on with the kit and the passenger's side just stays normal (hallogen), we checked the whole kit and tried it in the driver's side, tried the bulbs, swapped cables, and the kit proves to be perfectly fine. So what could be the problem? There is power coming out the driver's side socket but we can't figure out why it won't work on that side. Both ballasts are fine, for some reason it just does not work at all on the passenger's side, and its confused us as to why?!

Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know what this could be? Anyway to fix? Any solution at all?

If anyone has any info at all, then it will be greatly appreciated.

Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee Help! :(

The HID Kit is 6000k (just incase you need to know).

Faulty ballast perhaps? Have you checked the fuses. There is one for each side.

One of mine went about a 4 days after I bought my set. One of the ballasts had gone. Do be sure to check the fuses. Think you need to replace two, as above, there is one for each side.

Had the same problem last night kept popping fuses!!

Turned out that on my IS the pin labled + was a earth and the - was power , just swapped the pins round on the HID loom and sorted.

Double check the headlight bulb plugs with a multimeter before you go any further.

Thank you so much all of you for your suggestions and answers!! :)

I shall pass this information on to the guy and see if it works.

I shall get back to you lot. Thank you very much!! :)

*** Bless this Lexus Forum

had this on mine wired my hid up n it just was not working so for a laugh (last resort befor i sent it bk) i wired the ballastrs up backwards n heeey presto it worked LOL

some times one on passenger side does not turn on like 1/30 times so nothing majour n takes a bit longer to warm up so either lamp / ballast is a bit fuked prob from been wired up wrongly (altho correct from the + signs on thw wires)

got years warrentee so will send bk when i can be assssed

Hey i got it working. I took it into the garage yesterday and they refferred it to some electical technician down the road, he had a look at it an fixed it. I dont know how or what he done tho and he wudnt really tell me. But im glad its working. Looks really good. Im now thinking of getting the fogs done, but i need to replace my current stock fog lights as they are not working. Also is there a way to stop the fogs from getting water or condensation in them? yeah mine is an automatic SE model.

Thanks for all your help people, i really appreciate it :)

I agree with Russdx, HID kit is really good. Yeah it costs a bit. But its not that steep, you can pick them up from around between 80-300 quid. I got mines for 160 and ive got a cple of years of warranty on it should anything go wrong.

Looks amazing.

Can you get projectors for them? anyone know?

My mate was telling me to get projectors so the light points in a certain direction, at the moment it spreads all over the road. Still looks cool tho.

And as far as i know, they are road legal. And they last a lifetime.

If im proven wrong and they muck up then dont worry ill moan abt it on here later lol!

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't got a set yet, but I agree.. halogen cannot compare to the brightness - maybe to the colour.

I have normal 'xenon' looking bulbs and LED sidelights, but I want HID kit.

My mate just put an HID kit into his 98 mondeo.. they look cool but disappointing without projectors.. I too would love to know if anyone's modded their headlights with projectors or if you can buy aftermarket ones.

anyone with any info on projectors for the is200, please could you tell us :)

I have tried gooling it but googling stuff for the lexus is200 is never easy, an u never find wot u want, its always bmw or honda this an that etc.

the lights are level, they have been for an MOT and i have asked them to check it and they sed they are level and they are not adjustable an sed they come like this and are set level.

I need projectors to pin point the light in 1 area, thats wot they are for rather than spreading accross the road.

the lights are level, they have been for an MOT and i have asked them to check it and they sed they are level and they are not adjustable an sed they come like this and are set level.

I need projectors to pin point the light in 1 area, thats wot they are for rather than spreading accross the road.

which hid kit did u get?

I have HID lights in my IS.

They recently passed the NCT over here in Ireland.

I do get the odd flash from oncoming cars, but this could be due to bumps.

As they are on dim's they are pointed down onto the road and not all over the place.

The light adjustment dial in the car dose make them light further or shorter on the road.

Not sure if this is the projector you were talking about???

I don't think I could use any other lights again they are brillant.

i think he means the projector lamps that use that big glass mangifier in them normally found on 4by4s n ****

had a set on my audi

dont think they make a set of headlamps like tht for the is tho mgiht be wrong !!

Not aware of any after market projector kits for the IS units, you're probably looking at a DIY job and that probably kinda defeats the object as the manufacturers do a lot of research into getting them to work efficiently.

Your best option would be to ditch the kit you've got and swap out the IS200 front light clusters for the IS300 light clusters - these are HID as standard, and so are projector type units.

It's not easy, as you need to modify the wings to make them fit - Chris Shipley knows all about this as he and his mate Mick fitted a pair to Zee's old car.

They definitely work well though, we once compared his to my aftermarket ones in the standard clusters and there was a massive difference - the IS300 units put out loads more light onto the road where you wanted it!

Not sure of costings though, but it's definitely more involved and expensive than the plug and play units.

If you really wanted to do something special, get the modded gatling type Infiniti G35 IS300 units from AAC - they're awesome!

Q45retro0.JPG

sounds like too much work. Im sure there must be there ways. Oh well I guess i can live with it, dont mind.

Btw everyone is talking abt smoked side lights and LED side lights, can someone tell me which lights they are talking abt? Do they mean the indicitor orangeside lights or is there something else on the head lamp??

Any photos of kitted up side lights or jst general stuff would be nice to see :)

Thanks for all your input guys, appreciate it. The gattling gun lights look good but look like they will cost me a fortune.

P.S Anyone know of any good body kits, any suggestions? I knw i shud start a new thread maybe but im jst looking for a cple of links so if anyone doesnt mind then could they post them or pm me? Thanks :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links