Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

So Who's Actually Now Running Windows Vista?

aido

OK I got my work laptop today, can't do much with it until the desktop guys put an image on it next week so I've been having a play :)

Anyways, installed Windows Vista Ultimate to see what all the fuss is about and I'm impressed, it looks very nice indeed, definitely the nicest version of Windows I've used to date, I just need to bring myself up to date on all the internals, but it's looking good so far.

Very heavy on the system but this is a brand spanker so it runs it pretty nicely!

The new themes will probably last longer than ever before until I reach the point where I switch to Windows Classic, but I'm impressed.

Can see a lot of stuff lifted straight from OSX, but like a lot of the stuff they've done under the hood and with the internals, it's definitely come on a lot since I tried the Longhorn beta!

Have to admit though I did get it to blue screen within 30 minutes of actually using it, and that was just purely doing nothing out of the ordinary, on a new IBM Thinkpad with nothing strange about the config and no third party software, and it was fine using XP so assuming I hit a Vista bug!

Will give it more hammer over the weekend and see how I get on though!

Just installing apple OSX 10.4.8 a whirl to see how that behaves on the same kit!

What version are you running mate, x86 or 64-Bit ?

Are you going to be installing the Max O/S on the PC ?

I stopped using Vista RC2 because of the problems I had with software ........ other than that it was beutiful, looks just like Mac OSX ... well it's trying to be :D

To be honest mate the look they've gone for isn't like OSX, it's nice in it's own way, heck I'd like the Glass theme on OSX!

Vista is actually a really nice interface, don't get me wrong I love OSX but this has been like this for years, really looking forward to what 10.5 will bring us Mac addicts :)

I'm running the x86 version on the laptop as it's a Core Duo, just so happens when we ordered the kit we managed to order IBM Thinkpads which just so happens to run with OSX (well supposedly I'm having trouble getting it working!)

Yes I'm trying to install OSX on an IBM Thinkpad, there are supposedly ways it can be done, just putting the theory into practice :)

Once I get the work image on Monday I may even try for a triple boot system, got to get used to the new bootstrap in Vista first, know NTLDR inside out but it's gone now!

Just really wanting to see how well this thing runs on the Intel platform, thinking of swapping from G4 Mac's to a Core Duo, think it's going to be a winner :)

That's right mate, was messing around earlier with it, standard install, Ultimate edition, running nothing, and it was eating 440MB on the classic theme, and 530MB on the new fancy interface!

Certainly not a lightweight OS!

I have just loaded Vista Home Premium so cannot comment at this stage, although it looks like a steep learning curve is required.

If anyone is planning to buy Vista there are two things to be aware of.

First download and run the UPGRADE ADVISOR.

Second is Do not buy the full version. Save some money and get the Upgrade of whichever version of Vista you choose.

The upgrade can as its name suggests be installed on a suitable computer. You can also do a clean install with it on say a new hard drive. You then end up with the same OS as if you had bought the full version and afew pounds left in your pocket. :D

What massive changes have they made to the actuall machanics of Vista.

Correct me if im wrong but werent M$ working on a new file system to be released with vista but it sliped from the release to the "next big thing" I really cannot see any reason to upgrade to vista.

Windows Vista - Solatire never ran so great

Windows Vista - Just windows XP with an even more Disney Colour scheme.

:D

What massive changes have they made to the actuall machanics of Vista.

Correct me if im wrong but werent M$ working on a new file system to be released with vista but it sliped from the release to the "next big thing" I really cannot see any reason to upgrade to vista.

Windows Vista - Solatire never ran so great

Windows Vista - Just windows XP with an even more Disney Colour scheme.

:D

The new filesystem slipped a long time ago - at least a year before Vista actually shipped. There are certainly quite a few changes from XP in the to the day-to-day admin of the system - the two that jumped out at me are that the system keeps asking for admin credentials before you make any changes (a la Linux) and also that connecting to networks is a pain because it takes a while to connect (through both wireless and wired), and then asks whether it's a public, work, or home network so it can decide what permissions to put on shares etc. For most people neither of these will be much of an issue, but for people such as myself who connect to different networks on a daily basis it's a bit of a fiddle.

Other than that though, it's running both fast and reliably on my laptop (which has a P4 2GHz chip and 2GB of RAM, admittedly) and I'm very pleased with it... Overall it reminds me of a recent variant of Linux, cos it's pretty, and keeps asking me for admin credentials!! Not seen a blue screen in a month (but then I've not seen one on my lappy for over a year anyway...)

But yes, the new Solitaire is very nice to look at, and it asks you if you want to save your game before exiting! The colour scheme is as Disney as you want, by default the Aero theme is actually quite black-and-white which makes a change from MSs normal primary colour scheme!!

Mike

Been playing around tonight and UAC can be a bit of a pain in the arse, the system on OSX is right in terms of asking you when things are ok to perform, on Vista it's constantly asking you if it's ok to launch each mmc applet and it's a PITA.

Didn't realise OSX change the partition table to a GUID type which Windows just won't touch, but a quick boot into a Linux bootcd and dd destroyed the partition table which fixed that problem :)

Going to try again tomorrow while sat at work!

@ Kazi, supposedly yes you can, have to admit I'm going to try again tomorrow, had too much Stella whilst the lads have been around tonight, so can't really see straight at the moment, but will see if I can get it working nicely tomorrow, want to run it natively to see how it all works :)

You will not get OS X running on a PC. Period.

Some geezer got a hacked dev copy of 10.4.3 or something half running once. That's it.

10.4.8 will NOT run. Don't waste your time.

People who want the best OS have to buy apple hardware.

apple hardware runs OS X and Windows at native speeds. If you want both OS your ONLY solution is to get a Mac.

Vista is pretty?? So what!!??? OS X has been pretty for 6 years!!!

The released Vista is a toned down and reduced version of what it was supposed to be.

It's already had its security hacked - anyone can get superuser permissions following instructions off a website. So much for security. Microsoft are freaking about this. If you haven't heard it yet you soon will.

Microsoft's so called virus-checker thingy in Vista doesn't even stop many well known active wild viruses!! What a joke.

Personally I can't believe anyone would be dumb enough to waste money on this OS. DO YOUR RESEARCH!!

Don't you see? Mac OS Tiger has done all Vista can do for 2 years! And Leopard is just round the corner.

Wake up people for goodness sake.

*sigh*

Tyger,

Its o.k to say that Mac os Tiger has done everything that Vista does and that if you want the best OS buy a Mac.

The trouble is most compnies run windows... thats the end of the conversation, the majority of companys will not swap to mac. So we are stuck with teh Windows OS.

This think pad then, can you install OS X? :huh:

You can install OSX on pretty much any AMD or Intel PC, but it's not supported by apple. You need to download a DVD image from BitTorrent. Check out www.osx86project.org

And Leopard is just round the corner.

And I don't think it's unrealistic to expect Leopard to run on the PC. apple has changed its name from apple Computer to apple Inc, replaced the hardware with the PC, and is now saying none of its software is Vista compatible and people should avoid upgrading to Vista. Why? Well, if leopard runs on a PC, then apple would hope that people would switch to OSX. It would be cheaper than Vista and you wouldn't need to buy new hardware...

You will not get OS X running on a PC. Period.

Some geezer got a hacked dev copy of 10.4.3 or something half running once. That's it.

10.4.8 will NOT run. Don't waste your time.

People who want the best OS have to buy Apple hardware.

:lol:

Oh man you should never have made that comment about me not being able to teach you anything about IT dude, some people will never learn!

I just installed 10.4.8 on my ThinkPad this morning and it runs really well, boots loads quicker than my PowerMac G4 and I'm well happy with it!

I'm only doing this to see how a new Mac would perform against what I've got now, don't know why you get so excited but why not try 10.4.8 for yourself on PC hardware and see how it runs :)

It's easy, and I've done this with a hangover smile.gif

As for apple releasing OS X as a standalone product, I can't really see that happening, as the one advantage they have over MS is that they have a standard set of builds and they only have to make sure that the OS is stable on those builds alone.

If they were to go standalone then it would end up like Windows, all it would take is one badly written driver by a third party to bring the system to it's knees.

At least with apple having only say 100 hardware configurations max, they just have to make sure that those 100 combinations all work well.

If they released it standalone, there would be tens of thousands of different combinations of hardware out there which is too much of a hassle.

I think this is why it is portrayed as so stable - they control the hardware and the OS.

MS actually did take a similar path in the Enterprise market when they released the DataCenter edition of Windows, that was only certified to run on a few types of hardware, and on those platforms it was very stable.

Second is Do not buy the full version. Save some money and get the Upgrade of whichever version of Vista you choose.

The upgrade can as its name suggests be installed on a suitable computer. You can also do a clean install with it on say a new hard drive. You then end up with the same OS as if you had bought the full version and afew pounds left in your pocket. :D

Are you sure about that? I heard that unlike other MS upgrade disks (both OS and applications), where you don't need the previous version to actually be installed, this time you do.

So popping in the cd of the old version when it complains about not being able to find a qualifying product to upgrade, isn't going to work in this case. Now I guess you could get round it (not legally though) by installing the OEM copy that came with your last PC, but you'll have to actually run through the setup process rather than just supply media.

Mike

Think so mate, I did read somewhere though that you could use the disk to install an eval copy on a new machine into a temporary folder, and then once that's up all you need to do is insert the CD, install Vista into the proper folder and give it the key and it works!

Hmmm, something about this picture just doesn't look right to me:

10022007060lg1.jpg

Personally I'll be sticking to running it on apple kit as I really like it, but I'm really impressed by the speed increase on the Intel Core Duo, definitely going to have to look at moving from this PowerBook 17" to the PowerMac Pro 17" at some point in the future!

Don't know about you guys but this thing runs loads quicker than my current Mac - I mean check it out:

DR4x546djTo