Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Linux Os

MrADeveci

Right, I have decided, after watching many youtube videos, and reading loads of articles and reviews that I am changing over to a Linux based OS, and leaving the Windows scene .......... (well for now)

I had Vista, and wasn't that impressed.

Now, the question is, can I have some input from those of that that are using, or have used any of the popular linux based os?

As in .......

Ubuntu

Kbuntu (what's the big difference)

OpenSuSE

I don't want any "just get a mac comments, because they are too expensive ;)

TIA

:lol:

Good luck to you!

Linux sucks big time!

People complain about windows all the time, but the fact remains they made using a computer easy...

So, enjoy having to memorise at least 50 commands for basic functions like mounting a CD or even floppy, or simply editing a file :lol: oh, and dont even get me started on networking! :lol:

Seriously though, Red Hat's not bad, has a GUI to make life reasonably easy, Im in the process of upgrading to Fedora 6...

But i wouldnt wish Linux on my worst enemy...

PMSL!

Linux is one of those systems which has it's uses, I started out teaching myself the Suse distro years and years ago over a weekend, I was recompiling the kernel to suit my needs within 8 hours so it's all easy :)

As long as you're comfortable at a command prompt you'll be fine, makes me laugh as in between our PM's I was just running Knoppix on the PC to do some maintenance that other stuff won't touch!

All operating systems have their uses, it's just a case of knowing when to use what.

Linux is a very powerful OS in terms of access you get to the hardware compared to what you get in Windows.

It's why I made the switch to apple, you get all the power of the Unix based systems, as parts of it are based around BSD, but you get the greatest window manager ever made for those types of system!

In a work environment I've worked with all the major Unix systems, AIX, HPUX, Solaris etc, and was quite happy running Linux, it does what you want, it can just be a bit of a ballache to get certain things working that you'd normally take for granted, like playing DVD's!

In my opinion Linux is best used either on an appliance box, ie a fileserver running Samba such as the NetApp Filers, a webserver running Apache or a database server running MySQL.

For all those tasks it is very stable indeed!

Personally mate, and I'm going to sound like Tyger here, but seeing as you're going to try Linux, why not get hold of a copy of OSX which has been modified to boot on a normal system?

You may have some heartache getting parts working though depending on your system - what are you running?

It's all nice, not used many Linux distros in anger lately, but they've got a window manager loaded up with eye candy, trying to remember what it's called but it's makes even Vista look bland :lol:

But personally from what I hear Ubuntu is a nice system for desktop use, I also used to try Suse, RedHat and Gentoo, they're all the same, usually the same kernel etc, it's just that these companies put together what they call is a distro / distribution, which is just the collection of software you get with the system, along with their own package manager, configuration software etc.

I remember the good old days of SuSe YaST way back when :)

I'm getting into the VMWare stuff nowadays so that's based upon a slimlined RedHat distro I think?

@Ian ........ have you seen those mentioned version of Linux mate ? They are nothing like the old command prompt ! They have everything all built in - just like windows has, and much much more.

@Aido ... The thing you are talking about is XGL ? That also looks amazing, and makes Vista look stupid !

Looking at all the stuff on google, the linux based os's these days seem really really good ?

Not sure about running a Mac OSX though ? Wouldn't it just be better to run those mentioned linux based OS's isntead? :yawn:

In my opinion Linux is best used either on an appliance box, ie a fileserver running Samba such as the NetApp Filers, a webserver running Apache or a database server running MySQL.

Though it's only a minor point, I would very much like to point out that there are many other rdbms' than Mysql and many other web servers than apache.

I'm sure you know this, but I didn't want people to get the wrong impression.

Anyway: I've been a linux programmer for a few years now, working on character based legacy applications, daemons, general applications and web servers. The later is why I raised my protest - I've worked on the core of apache and, most recently, lighttpd and I've found lighttpd to be a much nicer place to work in.

My client is always windows, partly out of habit, and partly because of the ease of replicating issues quickly int he same O/S as the customers.

I don't really have any stipulations over the client end, but the one thing I strongly believe is that windows has no place in the server world.

Servers don't need a graphical interface. If someone doesn't know how to administer them without a graphical interface to make everything pretty for them then they shouldn't be touching the damn thing in the first place.

Just a complete waste of resources that could be better spent in services that are actually provided.

Spending even 2% processor time or memory on maintaining an interface for the rare occasions when the thing is administered is insane. Much worse is the fact that it's not 2% ever, and neither is it rare.

Windows servers have uptimes that sound like F1 laps, and the whole server needs to be rebooted for the most insane things.

Anyway, on the front of desktops:

I'm trying, for the first time, a gui based linux desktop on a machine.

I've opted for Ubuntu, and so far it's been very friendly to me.

The reason for the switch is because the machine is slow/old (500mhz/256mb ram) and has been really struggling with Windows.

I'll let you know how I get on with it.

:lol:

Good luck to you!

Linux sucks big time!

People complain about windows all the time, but the fact remains they made using a computer easy...

You'll find apple made that happen.

However, Ive got a mate who uses Linus Scarface, i'll ask him for some pointers.

Got myself a Mac again :D One of my best decisions within the last 15 years. Had a Macintosh SE decades ago and now I am soooo glad I did it again!

Sold everything. My tower, my server, my notebook... got rid of Windows.... and have not had any problem in working with my Mac. And thats only a 2gig Macbook (not Pro at all!).

It's a big step for mankind.. but only a small step for a individualist who already drives a Lexus :D

Got myself a Mac again :D One of my best decisions within the last 15 years. Had a Macintosh SE decades ago and now I am soooo glad I did it again!

Sold everything. My tower, my server, my notebook... got rid of Windows.... and have not had any problem in working with my Mac. And thats only a 2gig Macbook (not Pro at all!).

It's a big step for mankind.. but only a small step for a individualist who already drives a Lexus :D

:lol::lol::lol:

Well, I'm currently dl'ing SuSE 10.2 ....... and giving that a shot on the 64-bit platform.

I suposed if I don't like it, I can always format and re=insatll XP Pro ...... so no biggies there !

Thing is, is linux like Mac ... in terms of games ? Games dont work on mac's ... will that be the same ? :o

Fedora Core is the way My SF :)

I run it on 2 laptops, 1 server and the front room PC. I have two PC's that are not linux, one is the work's laptop. The other is my main rig as my PDA wont sync and my RC simulator is Windoze only. If it wasnt for that, I would be totay Fedora'd :D

YOu dont have to use the command line as much as you did 12 year ago when I first started dabbling in linux :)

If you have a nvidia card then the new fancy X windows stuff urinates all over vista. You can achieve the same with ATI cards, but not as well :)

Also, double check how old your kit is relative to teh latest distros. Newer kit can take a while to be fully supported in Linux as it relies on either the supplier of said kit or developers in their free time to craft teh drivers :)

Best of luck :)

Thing is, is linux like Mac ... in terms of games ? Games dont work on mac's ... will that be the same ? :o

Hmm... no problem for me. Not gaming very much..

But I have a 80gb featured PS2 hat home and a

NINTENDO Wii with my girlfriend. This is so much fun...

Believe me.. you dont need a big tower pc and also do not need to spend your expensive time in front of Windows if you decide to spread things up a little bit :)

Folks... I even don't have a printer on my own... I have a USB-Stick and many friends with printers...

:D

linux pwns i use it for wardriving and various networking things . have to agree fully with Gareth tho everything he said is the truth .

the only thing i find is a lot of programs i wish would run in linux fully without the need to emulate a windows pc

i use Ubuntu mate and its awesome. very very user friendly and has all the software etc u could ask for. all software is free (as is the OS) and updates are very regular.

Never had a bug since i've been using it (>1 year). almost impossible to get viruses also (as most are written for windows). Go onto the ubuntu website and order the live cd demo....that'll give you a feel for it mate

as for other software that u may want to run....i have found that the linux application database has equivalent programs that are generally better than the windows equivalent!!!

another plus side is that there is no need for additional driver installation (from cd's than come with cameras etc etc) for external devices, as ubuntu has most of this built into the system and everything is pretty much plug and play

i use Ubuntu mate and its awesome. very very user friendly and has all the software etc u could ask for. all software is free (as is the OS) and updates are very regular.

Never had a bug since i've been using it (>1 year). almost impossible to get viruses also (as most are written for windows). Go onto the ubuntu website and order the live cd demo....that'll give you a feel for it mate

as for other software that u may want to run....i have found that the linux application database has equivalent programs that are generally better than the windows equivalent!!!

another plus side is that there is no need for additional driver installation (from cd's than come with cameras etc etc) for external devices, as ubuntu has most of this built into the system and everything is pretty much plug and play

Hmm ... what about Kubuntu ? that's supposed to just be the KDE version of Ubuntu ? not that I know what KDE is, just that it's more complex ? :yawn:

I don't really have any stipulations over the client end, but the one thing I strongly believe is that windows has no place in the server world.

Servers don't need a graphical interface. If someone doesn't know how to administer them without a graphical interface to make everything pretty for them then they shouldn't be touching the damn thing in the first place.

Well in that case,

Novell Netware FTW :D

I don't know how OS X would run a PC but if you can use it it's great. I love it on my Mac and never gives me any grief or hassel, it's made me enjoy using a computer again. (from back in the day when my school used mac's only) gaming is an isssue because I believe there arnt as many games for the mac as PC but if you wated until OS X Leopard comes out in march/april time it has windows built in so all you do is swap over for any games that may not work.

I would suggest getting an Imac as this is what I use and its just great and I love it. because the OS X is designed for Mac's it must help with how it runs. the Mac's dont sound powerfull at 2.0 ghz for the basic ones but trust me and all the other mac lovers out there you will not be dissapointed.

I think it's great that you are even thinking of swapping from Microsoft. If you decide to go linux then that's great too, I do not have experiance of it but have been told from good sorces that it is alot better than XP.

it's not so much that I love Mac (which I do) but hate Microsoft for bringing out infiror products, charging hideous prices for them and what's more frustrating is that some people love them!?

Well I can start off with a "this hasn't gone so well".

Ubuntu started up and ran from the LiveCD to start with, but then started to really grog down.

I switched to the console and top showed me that it was memory-less.

I realised, to my surprise, that this was a 128mb machine.

No wonder it was so bad with windows XP.

I've got to say though, for me, this puts 1 point in the windows box.

It managed to install and run, albeit slowly, on this machine quite happily.

I've now discovered that I can certainly install Ubuntu on this machine, but I have to burn an alternate ISO, and manually configure.

Shame.

I'm sticking with it though - I'm still hopeful that it will run faster once on there.

If you're wondering why I don't just get more ram, the answer is simple.

If I have to spend any money at all on this, it might as well be to replace it with a newer machine.

Spending £20 on new ram for it, just to find out it's *still* too slow would be a pita.

I'll let you know how the rest goes.

G

I'd go with Ubuntu mate - it's the "in" distribution at the moment so there is plenty of help around with people who are new to Linux. Ubuntu and Kubuntu is essentially the same system but Ubuntu uses Gnome and Kubuntu uses the KDE desktop.

I've recently installed Kubuntu and some things are a bit of a pain to set up (such as wireless networking) but satisfying when you get there. From Kubuntu you can install the Gnome desktop and then select which one to use when you log in so you will have Kubuntu and Ubuntu. You will probably find more help available for Ubuntu though so I would go with that. Download the Live CD to see if it works on your system and to have a play, then you can just click the install icon if you like it!

Ubuntu desktop is working fine for me now on a machine with very little power at all.

The hardest part was getting the display to work properly, but a reconfigure worked a charm second time round, and now everything's fine to be given back to my dear ol' mother to hear her say "WTF is this?"

G

Ahmet, kubuntu uses KDE which is essentially another Desktop Environment. It has more gimmicky features like task bar buddies, funky digital clocks, different themes. But that said, you can get ALL these features on the Ubuntu operating system (which uses Gnome). There is basically an 'Applications' menu that allows the user to FULLY customise their desktop, programs, etc etc. If you want a certain type of graphics package for example, there is a HUGE selection to pick from. Same goes for media players/viewers.

I was skeptical about it at first (using Windows all my life), but Ubuntu is so user friendly anyone can learn how to use it!! What more could u want than free software (which is better than the sh!te Microsoft release), a bug free system, no stupid pop-ups and no viruses???

I'm running the Breezy Badger 64-Bit version of Ubuntu (its not the most recent architecture, but not much has changed).

Seriously though, order the FREE cd from the website and have a go on the 'live' cd version of the Ubuntu operating system (runs ubuntu from the cd, whilst using windows)

LINK (u can even download it instead of ordering the cd :) )

:D :D

Ahmet - when you install FC6, after it is installed you can switch windows managers, so you try out both KDE and gnome.

I would think there is something similar for Ubuntu as well, but not sure as I didnt like the way it worked when I tried it, so never went further with it. There didnt seem to be a root user etc.

Hmm... no problem for me. Not gaming very much..

But I have a 80gb featured PS2 hat home and a

NINTENDO Wii with my girlfriend. This is so much fun...

Believe me.. you dont need a big tower pc and also do not need to spend your expensive time in front of Windows if you decide to spread things up a little bit :)

Folks... I even don't have a printer on my own... I have a USB-Stick and many friends with printers...

:D

Just get OS X. Least you get the support....

So the OS which is developed across the globe by enthusasts has no support? :o

Dont get me wrong, Windoze has a place, as does Linux and probably Macs.... but to think there is no support out there if you have problems with linux is a bit nieve! :)

http://www.fedoraforum.org/

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/

http://www.kubuntu.org/index.php

http://www.linuxquestions.org/

There are loads of communities out there.

If you are just after a point and click experiance then stick with Windoze and or even more dumbed down, then Mac stuff. There is an OS to suit everyone at the end of the day :)

So the OS which is developed across the globe by enthusasts has no support? :o

Dont get me wrong, Windoze has a place, as does Linux and probably Macs.... but to think there is no support out there if you have problems with linux is a bit nieve! :)

http://www.fedoraforum.org/

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/

http://www.kubuntu.org/index.php

http://www.linuxquestions.org/

There are loads of communities out there.

If you are just after a point and click experiance then stick with Windoze and or even more dumbed down, then Mac stuff. There is an OS to suit everyone at the end of the day :)

Didnt say their wasnt, but trying to get help on a Mac is hard work as no many peeps hae them, for Linus etc etc....their is never going to be many hands to help, most who dont want windows will eventually turn to Mac.

Good luck to Scarface :)

Didnt say their wasnt, but trying to get help on a Mac is hard work as no many peeps hae them, for Linus etc etc....their is never going to be many hands to help, most who dont want windows will eventually turn to Mac.

Good luck to Scarface :)

You couldn't be more wrong.

I had a problem with ubuntu's screen res yesterday.

I found my answer in an ubuntu forum, straight away.

I also found that freenode's #ubuntu channel ( I didn't even check for which was the official channel, I just joined #ubuntu on an off chance ) was one of the busiest and most helpful channels I've ever seen.

Instant help from hundreds of experts.

And just to prove the point, I helped several whilst I was there.

You don't get that with windows. The best you might get is some hefty sarcasm, if you get an answer at all on IRC.

Admittedly IRC is more the domain of linux, so it's a bit biased.

The only trouble with Linux is that if you have an issue with networking, you will find it very hard to get support as all the help is on the web. Unless you have a Linux fiend amongst your friends you could run into trouble if, for example, you have a funny wireless network card and can't get online. At least with Windows everyone knows it so these things can be handled by your neighbours kid if neccessary...