Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wireless Router

Adie

I'm currently using a BT Voyager 2000 wireless router for home networking and Xbox live. Everything works fine, open NAT on the 360 and everything. The problem is that after a while you can't connect to it. Not with the 360, my laptop or the PC. I have to keep unplugging it or turning it off and then back on again to get it to work but this is not always successful either. This has been happening now for over 2 weeks so I'm assuming the router is on its way out.

So I'm looking to buy a new wireless router. I want something that is very reliable and also very easy to set up including security etc as I'm not too clued up with these things. Links also would be appreciated.

All Id suggest is avoid Linksys! Had i 4 months, went faulty and still waiting to get it resolved! After tons of emails and phone calls they eventually agreed to replace it....had to send the faulty one back to Linksys in the Netherlands! Still waiting for the replacement! :tsktsk:

Anyway, heard netgear, belkin, Buffalo and D-Links are good.

I'm currently using a BT Voyager 2000 wireless router for home networking and Xbox live. Everything works fine, open NAT on the 360 and everything. The problem is that after a while you can't connect to it. Not with the 360, my laptop or the PC. I have to keep unplugging it or turning it off and then back on again to get it to work but this is not always successful either. This has been happening now for over 2 weeks so I'm assuming the router is on its way out.

So I'm looking to buy a new wireless router. I want something that is very reliable and also very easy to set up including security etc as I'm not too clued up with these things. Links also would be appreciated.

I hesitate to comment because one hears so many conflicting comments about particular wireless devices and I have had some bad experiences myself with kit that others found excellent. I think it depends so much upon local conditions.

I found a local supplier who was content to let me swap out stuff that didn't work properly in my environment and now I always go there, even though I could probably buy cheaper on-line.

My present setup uses a Belkin Pre-N modem router and it works brilliantly for me. The built in wireless card in my Acer lap-top connects immediately and securely at 54 Mbps. Our older laptop with a Pre-N Notebook Network card in the PCMCIA slot works equally well and connects at 100+Mbps. We have two other machines on ethernet connections at 100 Mbps. N.B. we do not use them all at the same time. It is unusual for us to have more than two machines on at the same time. Incidentally, it supports WPA2 encryption.

Belkin made the Pre-N devices only while there was some uncertainty about the "N" standard and have now replaced them with the N1 kit. The Pre-N stuff still seems to be available in some shops. I haven't used the new ones but have read some good reviews.

Good luck.

So out of these 2 Link I'm thinking of going for the top one. I have no idea what N , PRE-N is anyway. I dont want to get anything too complicated so that I struggle to set everything all up :blush:

Setting up G or N involves no more or less complication - they both use similar setting up routines.

The difference is in performance. N gives greater range and greater bandwidth so it is more likely to connect in difficult conditions and it will go fast enough to allow video streaming for example.

'N' is just the latest industry agreed standard. You'll see B and G mentioned as well, B devices run at up to 11Mpbs, G at 54Mbps, and N at 125. To be quite honest it makes no difference whatsoever unless you're transferring large files from one machine to another on your home network (eg a folder full of photos from a laptop to a desktop computer.

The connection to the internet is always (well, until they start rolling out 24Mb adsl) going to be the slowest link in the chain so it doesn't really matter about the wireless speed.

Mike

Ive got the Belkin wireless router up for sale... :whistling: as im now running with the BT router. Im only after £40 for it if ur interested, i'll even throw in a 20ft networking cable!! I'll just have to find the CD :unsure:

Chris

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links