Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Speaker Size

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys hoping somone could help me on this, i am looking at getting one of the following to fit in the front doors and the rear doors, which one of these will fit?

http://www.mcs-direct.co.uk/acatalog/info_1_SPE1702.html

Hi ,

as you have an IS200 like me, I am wondering why you want to change the components (16.5cm front doors woofer, tweeter behind mirror pod) for a set of coaxials (with woofer and tweeter in the same speaker low in the door). You will get a better soundstage with the tweeter mounted high, and if you use the factory positions, theives won't know whats there ! )

I am upgrading my speakers too, but using components in the same factory locations (ie 2 speakers per side in the front door).

The rear doors to my knowledge do not have speakers fitted to them(thats not to say you can't).

The rear 6x9 speakers on the rear shelf are actually components mounted on each other, (ie sperate tweeter and woofer sections powered as 4 rear shelf speakers from the IS200SE's amp behind the glovebox).

A lot has been said on the forums about the different ohms rating of the woofer & tweeter in the rear 6x9's, and they are best left alone unless you are going to do what I am, which is junk the whole lot, new H.U. (Alpine)new front components (Alpine or Infinty ) new rear 6x9's (Alpine or Infinty ) & a Rockford Amp.

The size of the front speakers is 16.5 cm but u need to cut out the speaker from the mount once you have removed the door panel (LINK )

If you are going to get a new amplifier and rear 6x9's then see here for replacement (LINK )

CREDIT GOES TO ORIGINAL POSTERS FOR THESE LINKS

I am doing my install in about 3-4 weeks time and will post pictures for all to see.

I've been reading the forums for weeks to get all the available data to make sure

the install goes as smoothly as possible

I would suggest any of these below for the front doors rather than the coaxials you mention

Alpine SPS-171A £69

Alpine SPR-17S £109

INFINITY Kappa 65.7cs £73.99

I would suggest any of these below for the rear shelf .

Alpine SPS-69C2 £44.99

ALPINE-SPS-69C3 £74.99

Infinity Reference 9613i £39.99

INFINITY KAPPA 693.7i £61.99

ALL PRICES ARE PLUS P+P !!!

I have scoured the net to find the best prices for these including ebay,

and you can message me for where from if you want to.

I already have a JL Audio 12W7 (the dogs wotsits) providing the bass.

Any problems then message me.

Best of luck

Wozza

Great post Wozza! The rear doors dont have speakers.

Too put in new speakers in the rear shelf, most people make a bracket too mount them in as most aftermarket ones dont fit.

But I have been told that the Infinity Reference 9613i will fit in with 2 bolts, and they are quite sturdy. Saves messing about with MDF and a jigsaw!

Thanks very much for that post and thank you for sharing the research you have found, another thing i am sure i have speakers in the rear doors i will check when i get home though to make sure.

another thing i think you are right to go for the component speakers they will sound a lot better and the price is not too different, i am looking to start my build in the next two months and i will also post pictures and will be asking for people's help. when i get home i will link the final build equipment i am going to put in.

Thanks very much for that post and thank you for sharing the research you have found, another thing i am sure i have speakers in the rear doors i will check when i get home though to make sure.

another thing i think you are right to go for the component speakers they will sound a lot better and the price is not too different, i am looking to start my build in the next two months and i will also post pictures and will be asking for people's help. when i get home i will link the final build equipment i am going to put in.

If you have speakers in your rear doors they arent factory ones. standard setup doesnt have speakers in the rear doors :D

then maybe i havent - is there a space for them there or will i need to make a space?

Dont think there is much room for speakers, i coulf be wrong. are you replacing the factory 6x9's. If so wouldnt be much need for 2 extra speakers in the rear doors :unsure:

If you're going for some serious ICE installation then go for it! take the rear door card out, see how much space there is then get the jigsaw out!

I have seen a few IS's with the front and rear door cards retrimmed with screens and speakers/subs in.

Proper MTV PMR style :D

It would be nice of someone too do it and document it on here!

If you are ditching the OEM head unit and adding a box in the boot I'd suggest doing as the other guy said and sticking with quality components in the fromt doors in the stock positions.

Take a look at MB Quart reference series (aprox 150quid) or Rainbow (150 -500 quid dependant on range), I have used the Quarts in a custom build and there was no need for rear door / shelf fill in speakers, they were that good on there own, plus anything in the back is getting too far away for your (drivers) ears and will be drown out by big bass.

To get the best out of any high end component speakers you want to drive them with a quality amp (not from the the head unit) and for not a lot extra you can buy an active crosover network to help keep the dB level constant through the frequency range.

Lots of prize winning instalations use only one amp (4 channel with 2 channles bridged to 1 for the sub) a head unit that only has pre-out RCA (like Nakamachi or top end Clarion) one set of components and one correctly tuned sub in box.

This can work if youwant lots of bass too, I used to run a single 15 with the MB Quarts and it made over 125dB at a sound off.