Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

120k Cam Belt Change

Does anyone know roughly how much it costs for the 120,000 mile cam belt change on a LS 400?

I bought the belt /pulley's and water pump (may's well change it whilst its in bits ) for £100 off e/bay and spent a leisurly day with the spanners and workshop manual,now having done the job and it all went back with no bits left (unusual)bring on the next job,if you need to keep the s/history upto date with a lexus stamp then best get out the wallet and take a comfy chair,if you search around on here there's plenty of comments about service charges and someone will know doubt be along to add to this one !! cheers. Ian

If your looking to get the job done at lexus expect to pay around £500 parts and labour

I agree with Ian. If the car has done 120K it probably worth doign the water pump and tensioner done aswell. I have seen a few posts on this forum where people have has the water pump fail. the water pump and tensioner are not included in the £500 from lex.

Ian - job well done i'd say. Even if you don't have a nice set of stamps on the service book to prove that you have been mugged, still keep your receipts to how that you have been servicing the car, its still just as good. Thats what I do.

"Ian - job well done i'd say. Even if you don't have a nice set of stamps on the service book to prove that you have been mugged, still keep your receipts to how that you have been servicing the car, its still just as good. Thats what I do."

cheers goldfinger,love the car but the servicing costs give me nightmares,but apart from diognostics I cant see a reason for using the main dealer,plus with mine been the import they dont seem interested in helping anyway,get more help and advice from this site,so take a bow fellow forum posters. Ian.

The parts are more expensive than most cars, but the labour charges can really hit hard. If I had a garage I would'nt mind attemping big jobs, otherwise you can be half way through a job and rain stops play, especially in the winter. So on ocasions I have had to go to Lexus.

As for diagnostics i'm investigating a possible solution where I can install some software on my PC and just plug the car into the usb port of my PC. Its worth the money as my local Lexus dearler charges around £120 per hour for diagnosing a fault.

ZXH - you can also try somewhere like Nationwide Autocentres if u dont want to pay around £100 per hour labour at lexus. Lexus have got this down as a 4.5 hour job. At 120K the spark plugs might also be due since the are every 60K - at least on my one anyway.

Thanks for the info Jellybean. Will keep that in mind.

Im afraid thats not a nationwide policy. Dealers are free to set their labour rates, not just Lexus but any other franchised dealers too. Here in London you can expect to pay between £110 and £170 per hour labour. In fact in a 2006 issue of What Car magazine, they did a survey and said that labour charges had hit as much as £178 per hour. Consider yourself lucky to live to have a lexus dealer charge £75 per hour :)

Does anyone know roughly how much it costs for the 120,000 mile cam belt change on a LS 400?

Had mine done at 126000 miles a couple of months ago including an "A" service at Lexus Hull on my 98 LS400 - total bill came to £797 inc vat

Nick

Had mine done at 126000 miles a couple of months ago including an "A" service at Lexus Hull on my 98 LS400 - total bill came to £797 inc vat

Nick

Hi

Would just like to repeat a post posted by me August 2006 re:- Cam Belt Change

"Just to say I was well pleased with Roy' Motors in Norwich

I've had the Timing Belt change "B" Service, iridium Spark Plugs renewed, front and rear brake pads which were found to need renewing on inspection - Total cost £773.00 inc VAT also a loan car for the day only a Toyota Carina but it made me appreciate the LS400 even more - as a matter of interest their hourly rate of 8 hours labour was quoted at £45.00 per hour.

I can't say the car was running any better after the service because it seems perfect prior to the visit to Roys - I estimate if I had gone to a franchised dealer I would have been looking at a bill for £1300 - £1400 plus any other bits and pieces they may have found as extras."