Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Leaky Sunroof

Has anybody had problems with the seal around the sunroof before? At least I think that's the problem as it only happens when it rains.

Small amounts of water collect and drip down when I drive off. It's collecting somewhere between the drip trays that drain the water off and the edge. I have checked to see if the drainage channels are free by pouring water into them and they are almost always dry and empty.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

• 10 months later...

On my LS400, the sunroof is SUPPOSED TO LEAK.

The "seal" around the sunroof is soft and allows water to drip. It's probably soft because it's a power sunroof and you don't want the motor to jam if it's a tight fit. But it's then supposed to drain away down drainage hoses from the recess that holds the sunroof.

Has anybody had problems with the seal around the sunroof before? At least I think that's the problem as it only happens when it rains.

Small amounts of water collect and drip down when I drive off. It's collecting somewhere between the drip trays that drain the water off and the edge. I have checked to see if the drainage channels are free by pouring water into them and they are almost always dry and empty.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

had that problem before worked out to be a kink in the drainge pipe behind the a pillers .

I have discovered that water in the side wells of the boot can be down to several things:

1. sunroof drain pipes not fitted to rubber outlet fittings inside boot.

2. the plastic moulded vents fitted either side behind the side boot liners.

3. the rear bumper side mounting clips not sealed with the body work.

4. a split in the seam sealant where 2 panels join under the rear light cluster behind the bumper.

I have fixed no. 2 with some sealant around the outside of the vent moulding (requires bumper to be removed). No. 3 I fixed with some sealant inside the boot but I suspect there is a missing sealing washer on the outside. No. 4 I fixed with some seam sealant which I over-painted and lacquered.

I think at last I may have a dry boot! No more chronic misting up in cold weather.

• 9 months later...
I have discovered that water in the side wells of the boot can be down to several things:

1. sunroof drain pipes not fitted to rubber outlet fittings inside boot.

2. the plastic moulded vents fitted either side behind the side boot liners.

3. the rear bumper side mounting clips not sealed with the body work.

4. a split in the seam sealant where 2 panels join under the rear light cluster behind the bumper.

I have fixed no. 2 with some sealant around the outside of the vent moulding (requires bumper to be removed). No. 3 I fixed with some sealant inside the boot but I suspect there is a missing sealing washer on the outside. No. 4 I fixed with some seam sealant which I over-painted and lacquered.

I think at last I may have a dry boot! No more chronic misting up in cold weather.

On the subject of the boot vents, I have noticed that on mine the vents have a foam panel that just hangs loose and flaps. On the side that leaks, the foam is kinked. Could this be the cause of the water ingress and that sticking back the foam panel with some sealant would cure the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links