Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Can A 2003 Headlamp Be Fitted To A 2001 Is200?

GreyArea

I've been reading a lot about upgrading to HIDs, and was wondering if it was possible to fit a stock Xenon headlamp from a 2003 IS200, to my 2001 car? The only reason would be to ensure the proper beam pattern - (I'm aware self levellers wouldn't work) as there seems to be some debate about retrofitting HIDs to halogen reflectors.

It can be done but you will need to alter the wings and front panel to except the headlamp/powerpack assemblies. This includes cutting and rewelding the fitments where the headlamps attach.

would be a lot cheaper and easier to buy an upgrade kit

That's all I need to know! I'll just go for a standard HID upgrade kit in that case and hope that I don't dazzle too many oncoming drivers!

Simon

Having done some research on HID conversion kits and came across several articles like this saying how bad and dangerous it is:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bu...onversions.html

Can anyone clarify if the issues raised are not concerns for the IS200s?

It's tricky to judge headlamp beam performance without a lot of knowledge, a lot of training and a lot of special equipment

Huh? :blink:

I kind of see the point he's making saying that the reflector won't be designed for that type of light so won't use it most effectively, but I don't need any training or knowledge to know that the light output to the road is far better since I got HIDs........

I don't know about all cars, but on the IS, there's still not much throw to the sides of the car (which he comments about) but the distance the light covers is so much further than the standard halogen lights. When driving down a street at night with no street lights, there's absolutely no way I'd go back to the old lights - there's such a big difference

And I've got the 8300K ones, the light output will be even better with the 6500 or 4300K versions.

[

And I've got the 8300K ones, the light output will be even better with the 6500 or 4300K versions.

Sorry, but these certainly aren't the ones to go for since the output is far too blue, much higher in colour temperature than original HID fitments, and therefore more likely to provoke unwanted interest. It is a false belief that the output is 'better' than 4800K ones, since the eye at night is more sensitive lower down the spectrum.

I have an Autolamps kit on my IS, and have never been flashed at night in 3 years of running them. It is just a matter of adjusting the level correctly. When I heard about the requirement for autolevelling, I assumed this was something really clever that bounced the lights up and down according to the attitude of the car as it moved, eg you go over a hump backed bridgeor accelerate rapidly and the lights go up and down appropriately. But in fact all 'autoleveling' is is a slow levelling according really to the static load in the car, it does not react rapidly as one might have thought. It just saves people having to remember to set the level properly.

The Autolamps kit is certainly much better than the original halogens, the cutoff is fine, and since they are on the dipped beam, there is no question as implied in the linked article, of any effect on the long range beam pattern.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links