Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Burning Rubber Smell?

:blink: I noticed last week while driving my is250 to work in the snow that I could smell burning rubber,noticed it again today on a long run :huh: I know with my old IS200 there was a smell of burning rubber coming from the exhurst area.(something to do with the underseal getting hot)has anyone else experienced this or has got any idea of what it could be.before I take it into Lexus to investigate? :blush:

Cheers in advance.

:blink: I noticed last week while driving my is250 to work in the snow that I could smell burning rubber,noticed it again today on a long run :huh: I know with my old IS200 there was a smell of burning rubber coming from the exhurst area.(something to do with the underseal getting hot)has anyone else experienced this or has got any idea of what it could be.before I take it into Lexus to investigate? :blush:

Cheers in advance.

Nope, no smells, no rattles, no problems....yet :)

I get this too after a long run (my commute!). More like a 'hot' rubber than burning rubber. Predominantly round the back as I get my gear out of the boot. I'm not too worried about it though...

Could be the mounting rubbers on the back exhaust boxes..or box if your a 220D driver :D

• 2 weeks later...

hi mate i drive a IS200s auto and i get a strange smell which i cant compare to anything else i have ever smelt, i never notice it whilst driving only when i stop it seems to appear more when i have been stationary in D for a while or when i have had to do a lot of shunting back and forth i checked my auto box fluid level the other day and it was at the hot level when the engine was cold so wondering whether i have got too much fluid and its putting a lot of strain on the clutch because its trying to creep harder???

also when i first bought the car i had a carrier bag stuck to the cat, that smelt like burning rubber when hot, it took ages to burn off.

hope this helps in some way :winky:

rgds

rob

Take a look at the inside wall of the rear tyres.

If you have got severe wear compared with the outer rim then the geometry of the rear wheels may be out and it will require re setting at a dealer or garage with the ability to re set. It can be dangerous, I have seen wheels off IS200 near bare with reinforcing showing on the inside edges.

Just a thought good luck

I got the same smell on my IS200 after long journeys!

Tyres were fine so i assumed it was exhaust/CAT!

My last 2 MOTS the emissions were brilliant 0.02 or something which the guy said was very low!

My mate also has a 328CI and he gets the same smell!

Have no idea what it is!