Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Almost Finished

erm wow...ive only just found this topic (mid nov on issues)....and i am shocked to say the least!

...and an email in my inbox from Dave alerting me to this and so am I...very shocked!!!

oh and p.s. hi everyone! :whistling:

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

erm wow...ive only just found this topic (mid nov on issues)....and i am shocked to say the least!

...and an email in my inbox from Dave alerting me to this and so am I...very shocked!!!

Why the shock :question: told you about this cowboy and BS, years ago :whistling:

Why the shock :question: told you about this cowboy and BS, years ago :whistling:

There are cowboys all over the car modifying market Gord...I mean some people start up car tuning companies from their back bedrooms and start offering advice and people listen to their BS!

At the end of the day, I always believe that you should speak from personal experience...and trust me, I have plenty of personal experience with TDI! Clearly Dave has had some worrying issues....I'm just glad that he has got the car sorted now!

There are cowboys all over the car modifying market Gord...I mean some people start up car tuning companies from their back bedrooms and start offering advice and people listen to their BS!

At the end of the day, I always believe that you should speak from personal experience...and trust me, I have plenty of personal experience with TDI! Clearly Dave has had some worrying issues....I'm just glad that he has got the car sorted now!

Dont have to take my car or anyone's car to TDi, to say he is full of BS, you only have to read/here what he is saying, he is at his best when he gets customers that dont really know about car's and how thay work, as ive said many times Mark is a salesman, and even them selling/offering advice from their back bedroom are just the same, what you and everyone else should be doing, is looking at what others have done or are doing, and not trying to sell you something :D

Dont have to take my car or anyone's car to TDi, to say he is full of BS, you only have to read/here what he is saying, he is at his best when he gets customers that dont really know about car's and how thay work, as ive said many times Mark is a salesman, and even them selling/offering advice from their back bedroom are just the same, what you and everyone else should be doing, is looking at what others have done or are doing, and not trying to sell you something :D

Ok, so going by your very words of...."what you and everyone else should be doing, is looking at what others have done or are doing"....

So to respond to that, I have had a lot of work done on my car by TDi....i love my car, it runs awesome, any problems I've taken it back and they have put it straight right away free of charge, so please explain to me where I am wrong in not having a problem with them?

Like I said, speak from personal experience!

Ok, so going by your very words of...."what you and everyone else should be doing, is looking at what others have done or are doing"....

So to respond to that, I have had a lot of work done on my car by TDi....i love my car, it runs awesome, any problems I've taken it back and they have put it straight right away free of charge, so please explain to me where I am wrong in not having a problem with them?

Thats very good Neil, you must be the only one :D so what problems you been having ?

Can you clear, this last thing up for me, have you got to have winter map and summer map on your car, as someone told me you did, but just thought i would ask you 1st

Thats very good Neil, you must be the only one :D so what problems you been having ?

Can you clear, this last thing up for me, have you got to have winter map and summer map on your car, as someone told me you did, but just thought i would ask you 1st

Ok, now that I can answer...cold start was a problem at first and I had an idle issue as well...plus a few mapping spots that weren't very smooth. It took a couple of goes, but I went out with Sam, I drove the car while he had his laptop plugged in...he found the spots and smoothed them out. The idle issue was also resolved.

As for the winter and summer map...I have no idea...not something I have ever been told about. I know that I went back with the car a few winters ago to get the cold start looked at again but that was about it!

• 2 weeks later...
Funny what happens when you go to www.tdi-plc.co.uk

PMSL I've just seen that - tut tut :lol: Looks like it'll be there at least another 18 months too!

Looks like Dave and Mark were having games here - they each own the others .co.uk!!

• 1 month later...

I am surprised and saddened to hear about this.

This situation does not sound right to me at all and suspect that there is more to this than meets the eye, so I have prepared an analysis and a request for information which I will email to you today. I will also carbon copy the LOC management.

I hope you review my communication objectively and reply personally to me as soon as possible.

Thank you in advance.

I doubt whether I’ll be replying to any posts, so if anyone wants to ask me any questions about this or anything else, please email me. Thank you.

This situation does not sound right to me at all and suspect that there is more to this than meets the eye, so I have prepared an analysis and a request for information which I will email to you today. I will also carbon copy the LOC management.

I hope you review my communication objectively and reply personally to me as soon as possible.

Thank you in advance.

I doubt whether I’ll be replying to any posts, so if anyone wants to ask me any questions about this or anything else, please email me. Thank you.

I do love the mock "genuine concern". It's the second funniest post I have seen on LOC in 2009

Thank you in advance.

You will now need to up-date you blog on your web site.............was taken to another Garage to be finished :lol:

W481GGC Issues‏

Sent: 12 February 2009 11:17:48

To: davereadlexus@hotmail.com

Cc: **********************************************; Sam Borgman (sam@tdi-plc.com); Masaya Yumeda (HKS) (m.yumeda@hkseurope.com)

Dear Dave,

I am very surprised and saddened to read your comments on LOC.

Firstly I would like to apologise to you if I or TDI has done anything wrong (which I hope will become clear one way or the other soon), and secondly because I fear that your best interests are in jeopardy if you have been manipulated for the commercial and political advantage of others just because you had an association with us.

I have no problem whatsoever with you choosing another service provider, in fact I welcome competition and the opportunity to benchmark ourselves against competitors. However I am very concerned that you have been misled by two of our ex-employees. In case you were not aware, both of them were subjects of disciplinary proceedings and final written warnings, and left our employment under unhappy circumstances. One of them still owes us money for an unpaid debt and I am aware that at least one of them has been deploying nefarious tactics to impugn our reputation. I mention this so that you can add these elements to your considerations when you make a final judgement.

I understand that you are very passionate about your car, so I would like you to analyse the situation from a dispassionate, clear and logical perspective.

If I understand it correctly, I think you have several areas of concern which I will deal with individually.

1. Air Box Failure:

From day one, I made it very clear to you that this project was developmental by nature and that issues could become apparent at any time. I was careful to reinforce this point several times at strategic intervals. Please let me know if I did not communicate this point well enough to you or if there was any misunderstanding. I had hoped that this and other issues were covered in my email of 19th Oct 07 to you (copy attached).

Our understanding of your original brief to us was to produce a conversion with the absolute minimum amount of noise/vibration/harshness, so it was always intended to use the original air box in the first instance to satisfy those requirements and also to minimise costs. Removal of the original air box substantially increased the induction/supercharger noise to a level that we considered to be unacceptable and that fell outside your brief. The plan was to revisit this area if further performance was required or if a problem with it developed whilst in service.

We knew that the original air box was very restrictive, which resulted in an internal depression. You may recall that the air filter tried to get sucked into the intake of the supercharger due to the depression, which demonstrated a requirement for an air filter retention mechanism. Our testing indicated that the removal of the air box yielded an additional 10 hp at the hubs after remapping to suit.

Clearly, an open induction system (such as you have now) is better from a performance and economy perspective, but I am surprised if you find the noise level to be acceptable.

2. Mapping

I note that you have stated that you have had the FCON remapped by SPC Horsham which has yielded better fuel economy and substantially more power. Removing the very restrictive standard air box will dramatically improve the volumetric efficiency and fuel efficiency of the engine, so it is of course completely normal for the air/fuel ratio and ignition timing to need to be recalibrated to suit. However, I note that the video on the SPC web site shows the claimed 364hp to be with the standard air box still installed.

I have attached the data logging file of the last dyno run we did on your car. The green line shows that the air/fuel ratio was correct at the time. Please note that the lambda readings advertised (now deleted from their web site) by SPC Horsham (copy attached) are almost the same before and after "remapping" by them, except that they mapped it slightly richer above 5500rpm, slightly leaner between 3200rpm and 4400rpm, and slightly richer between 2300rpm and 2900rpm. Of crucial significance is that the power increases they claim to have gained start from minimum engine speed and diverge as the speed increases. The only conclusion to be drawn from this is that the 86hp they claim to have gained by remapping did not come from adjusting the fuelling so can only have come from the ignition timing, by some other means unconnected to the ECU, or did not happen at all and is entirely false. Please find out exactly what they did to achieve the gains they claim, and forward the answer to me for analysis.

Both Sam and Dennis have a very serious concern over the current mapping as done by SPC Horsham that you need to be aware of.

When we mapped you car by conventional steady state and constant load procedures, we did not encounter the detonation issues that are apparent on your engine when the car is subjected to dynamic testing conditions (which simulate vehicle weight, aerodynamic drag, rolling resistance etc to emulate accurate top speed and acceleration cycles). Under dynamic testing conditions we found that we had to introduce some ignition timing retardation to prevent engine damage, which does also reduce the power somewhat too. We take the view that is better for our clients to have a reliable engine than one that is tuned to be on the edge of detonation and therefore potentially destructive. If SPC's dyno does not have adequate dynamic testing capabilities or if they did not think to undertake this special testing method, there is a very good chance that they do not know about this issue and therefore have not made ECU calibration compensations to prevent possible engine damage. This is crucial and requires urgent attention or confirmation.

3. Performance data.

I understand from a comment you made to Sam at the Autosport show, that you are doubtful about the accuracy/validity of our engine performance data.

This is very interesting and could be the main element that is fully discoverable and provable beyond any doubt whatsoever that should enable you to make a fair and accurate judgement on the professional integrity of both SPC Horsham and TDI.

If I understand the position correctly, you went to SPC Horsham who provided you with a power run which showed that you had considerably less performance than the figures that we gave to you. This being the case, it seems to me that there are the following possibilities to consider:

a) The Rototest chassis dynamometer is intrinsically inaccurate.

B) The Rototest chassis dynamometer is accurate, but it is possible to manipulate the figures, and we have provided you with a dyno chart that we have deliberately falsified.

c) There has been a significant reduction in engine performance since we provided you with the test results.

d) SPC Horsham has deliberately provided you with a false initial dyno run to impugn us and to positively leverage their position.

Carefully considering each of the above elements in turn, it is possible to come to the following conclusions:

a) The Rototest chassis dynamometer is an engineering/scientific development machine which demonstrates accuracy and repeatability characteristics that exceed every other dynamometer, so therefore its accuracy is not in question.

B) It is not possible to manipulate of falsify the data captured from the Rototest machine. I invite you to contact www.rototest.com to confirm this. I also urge you to ask Phil Boase of SPC Horsham who has used and has knowledge of our machine, if he knows any way of falsifying our dyno figures. If he suggests that there is a way, please provide it to me and to Rototest for our analysis.

c) Please confirm whether SPC found that the air filter had collapsed or any other issue which could have adversely affected performance. Please also confirm whether you noticed any reduction in performance between the time that we tested your car and when you took it to SPC Horsham. I note that a 25% difference in power is a very substantial amount.

d) It is possible that SPC Horsham have provided you with a false or inaccurate dyno run, so I draw your attention to the following:

· Both Phil and Wayne left our employment on bad terms

· SPC Horsham is a new business which is reincarnated from a failure so has a clear commercial incentive to make themselves look good.

· An old trick that some dyno operators use to dishonestly make themselves look better than they are, is to do the initial power run at half or three quarters throttle, and then do the final run at full throttle which obviously shows more power. I know of some dyno centres that deliberately employ this shameful tactic.

· It is possible to manipulate the Dynodynamics dyno figures by strategic placement of the ambient temperature sensor.

· It is possible for SPC Horsham to have deliberately modified our FCON calibration file (retard the ignition and/or introduce excessive fuel) prior to the dyno test to produce poor performance figures. Incidentally, they are not authorised by HKS to calibrate FCON ECU's.

· It seems very suspicious to me that other LOC members have apparently received the same experience as you, which does suggest a pattern to me.

I note from the "before and after" power graphs (copy attached) advertised on the SPC Horsham web site, that the peak power of 280 hp at the "flywheel" occurs at only 5500rpm, whereas after "re-mapping" it occurs at about 6100rpm. Our dyno chart shows your engine producing peak power at exactly 6340rpm so there is clearly a major discrepancy that needs to be explained. Some light can be shed upon this issue by requesting the data logging details from their dyno run number 38 (copy attached) to include the boost pressure trace. If the trace shows that the boost pressure was reducing at 5500rpm, the reduction in power could be due to belt slippage or boost leakage – not due to bad mapping. If the boost pressure trace does not deteriorate, then there must be another explanation which you should request from SPC Horsham and provide to me for analysis.

As you can see from the above, there are several very serious questions you need to ask and validate to protect your interests, which are at the very core of competency and honesty.

From our part, we always open ourselves to critical analysis so I am happy to answer any questions and provide any information you need to gather the evidence you require to make an informed judgement. I suggest that the FCON calibration files from TDI and SPC Horsham are analysed by an independent Engineer to shed some light on exactly what has been done and what the likely effects are.

Another way of validating the current position is to dyno your car again on our Rototest. You can then establish with 100% certainty whether SPC Horsham have provided you with the 86hp (or anywhere near it) that you have been LED to believe. Phil Boase knows how to use our dyno so I am more than happy to let him conduct the test with you standing there watching. Your original performance certificate ((copy attached) one of approximately 150 that we have of your car) shows that you had 280hp at the hubs, so now that your ECU has been re-mapped to give another 86hp, unless you have been misled you should now have at least 340hp at the hubs (or 360hp if tested with an open induction system). However, I suspect that you have approximately the same power now as you had when we first did your car. Interestingly, as there is no way that SPC can measure the transmission losses and provide you with an accurate flywheel power figure, the "rule of thumb" normally applied to estimate their claimed figure of 364hp suggests a hub or wheel figure of around 280hp, which is exactly what you had at the last test here.

Crucially, it is of vital importance to get to the bottom of this because it is not only yourself that is affected, it is the best interests of all of the LOC community and any other clubs that may become contaminated.

4. Stroker Kit

We undertook a feasibility study several years ago regarding the possibility of producing a 2.2 litre stroker kit for 1G-FE engine, and came up with the following points of concern:

· The crank case is a very compact design with little room for an increase in crankshaft stroke.

· A minimum of 8mm increase in crankshaft stroke is required to obtain 2.2 litres.

· An 8mm stroke increase is unlikely to be accommodated without machining the inside of the cylinder block for additional clearance, consequently compromising its structural integrity.

· Because the diameters of the main bearing journal and big end bearing journals are very small, an 8mm increase in stroke substantially reduces the overlap between them, which significantly reduces the structural integrity of this area of the crankshaft and could lead to cracking and premature failure.

· The crankshaft pin journal diameters are exceptionally small for an engine producing the amount of torque that yours already has. Increasing the stroke further will inevitably subject the journals to even higher loads which could lead to premature crankshaft and/or bearing failure.

· The connecting rod angularity is already marginal for high speed operation when used with the standard crankshaft. Lengthening the stroke increases the acuteness of the rod angularity which introduces engine harshness, increased cylinder wall wear, and compromises the engines ability to produce power at high speeds.

I did notice that Prolex has stated that "his" 2.2 litre stroker kit uses "copies of the OE pistons but forged". If this is the case and the compression height (distance from the gudgeon pin to the crown) is the same as OE, then the connecting rods must be approximately 4mm shorter than standard which of course is completely the wrong way to go because the rod angularity will be extremely acute. Wherever possible, the connecting rod length should be increased not decreased if smoothness, performance and wear reduction are of any concern.

Our conclusion at the time was that the potential risks outweighed the value, and that a crankshaft with a shorter stroke which satisfied all of the above concerns fell significantly short of achieving 2.2 litres, and considering the cost (£1500 to £2000 plus vat) of a crankshaft, offered very limited value on a cost/benefit evaluation basis.

However, I am open to being proven wrong on this so if you decide to accept the risks and proceed with a 2.2 litre stroker kit, and it proves to be reliable in service and produces acceptable performance, I wish you the very best of luck with it and I hope you now appreciate that my statement was made on valid engineering principles and with your best interest in mind. In the first instance I would urge you to find out exactly what you are getting for your money in terms of stroke, connecting rod length and compression height, and get the specification independently reviewed by an expert before committing. I am happy to help you with this or to provide details of a couple of forums which are populated by Engineers who are experienced in these matters.

5. Big Valve Cylinder Head.

We evaluated the possibility of installing larger valves in the 1G FE cylinder head some time ago, and came up with the following points of concern:

· A 1mm increase in exhaust valve diameter has little appreciable value in terms of performance.

· A minimum of 2mm increase is required to have a significant effect on performance.

· The standard valve seat inserts are unlikely to accommodate a 2mm increase in valve size without compromising their structural integrity.

· Should a valve seat insert move or fall out and result in a valve head departure, the resultant damage is likely to destroy the engine.

· The main potential for performance enhancement is to be derived from the camshafts, not from larger valves, when analysed from a cost/benefit perspective.

· There is a potential hazard of valve to valve interference when larger valves are used with camshafts that have longer open duration/increased overlap, especially because this engine has dynamic cam control (timing changes with engine speed), so the simulation or prediction of the events is extremely difficult.

However, I am open to being proven wrong on this so I wish you the very best of luck with it but I think you'll find that any gains that are realised will be coming from the camshafts, not from the larger valves. I hope you now appreciate that my statement was made on valid engineering principles and with your best interest in mind.

If any of the two ex-TDI employees are involved in the design or development in the above two products I would urge caution. Neither of them demonstrated any knowledge of or skill in engine design or dynamics whilst in our employment as they relied heavily on peer instruction and micro management to fulfil their duties.

6. "Befriending you and having my hand in your pocket".

I really am very sorry that you feel that way, and I am at a loss to think of any actions that may have LED you to believe this.

Upon careful analysis of the situation I have concluded the following points which I hope will help you clarify this situation to your satisfaction:

· I keep my professional and personal lives completely separate.

· I have never contacted you outside of business hours, not have I suggested that we engage in any form of social activity together.

· I have shown you the same warm welcome that I (and I hope all TDi Staff) try to give to everybody, and that you should also expect from any service provider (from your local chip shop owner to your Bank Manager) which in my view is the only polite and professional way to conduct oneself in business.

· I do not accept invitations to social functions from people in my professional life. I even declined a wedding invitation from an LOC member last year, and I have declined several invitations from LOC members to join my Facebook page. As far as I am concerned, business and pleasure should not mix.

· I offered you a discount on our work which was worth thousands of Pounds, without you even asking for it.

· I offered you the opportunity to save costs by machining the crankshaft pulley yourself, instead of us doing it and charging you.

· I offered you the opportunity to save costs by manufacturing the air filter retention mechanism yourself, instead of us doing it and charging you.

· We have paid to advertise your old transmission for sale several times on your behalf. At no time have I requested any money from you for this, nor do I intend to.

· I had the opportunity of making more money from you when you asked me about a 2.2 litre stroker kit and a big valve cylinder head after your engine was almost built. If I did not have your best interests in mind I could have recommended both and committed you to substantially higher and unnecessary costs.

· Neither myself or the staff are financially motivated. Our primary motivation is in producing interesting and valuable results for like-minded enthusiasts.

· Both myself and the company is sufficiently wealthy to not require to engage in any underhand, dishonest or in anyway unprofessional activities, or to negate our duty of care to our clients.

· By contrast, I know that most of our competitors are sub-prime, and need to engage in social events and under hand tactics to survive.

With the above in mind and after careful consideration, I hope you will agree with me that I have not tried to befriend you, and that I have acted in your best interests by protecting you from additional and unnecessary costs.

I assume you are aware that Lexuslover001 from LOC is Wayne Field (ex-TDI employee) who has clearly lied to members (I can provide you with details of the events if needed)? I hope that will provide you with some insight into his natural level of integrity?

I fully appreciate that dealing with the above issues is going to difficult and that a thorough and impartial analysis may well lead you to a conclusion that is contrary to your first thoughts, and you may even discover that someone else is guilty of "befriending you while having his hand in your pocket". If you do come to this conclusion I can assure you that I do not hold your unkind comments about me against you in any way, because none of this is your fault. If you conclude that your original thoughts are correct, I wish you all the best of luck.

Once again I apologise that you have been dragged into what seems to me to be a politically/commercially motivated or incongruous action. Once I have concluded my own investigation into these matters, if I find that we have done anything wrong you will receive an apology from me and also a financial consideration if appropriate.

I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience.

Kind regards

Mark Catchpole

Torque Developments International PLC

Unit 5 Cliffside Trade Park

Motherwell Way

Thurrock

Essex RM20 3XD

www.tdi-plc.com

www.toda-europe.com

UK Sales and Enquiries: Freefone 0800 107 32 50

UK Dealer and Trade Enquiries: 0800 107 32 60

International Sales and Enquiries: ++44 1708 866609

International Dealer and Trade Enquiries: ++44 1708 866609

UK Fax: 0800 107 32 70

International Fax: ++1708 866886

Email : mark@tdi-plc.com

This document should only be read by those persons to whom it is addressed and is not intended to be relied upon by any person without subsequent written confirmation of it's contents. Accordingly, TDI PLC disclaim all responsibility and accept no liability (including in negligence) for the consequences for any person acting, or refraining from acting, on such information prior to the receipt by those persons of subsequent written confirmation.

If you have received this e-mail message in error, please notify us immediately. Please also destroy and delete the message from your computer and/or database. Any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification, distribution and/or publishing of this e-mail message is strictly prohibited.

No assurances are given that this mail and any attachments are free from any virus.

Windows Live™HomeProfilePeopleMailPhotosMore ▼Calendar

Events

Groups

Spaces

SkyDrive

Office Live

Safety

Mobile

Downloads

All servicesMSN ▼Home

Autos

Money

News

Sports

Weather dave ▼ Change picture

Change name

View your account

Link other accountssign out

Hotmaildavereadlexus@hotmail.com

Inbox (3)Junk (4)Drafts ()Sent ()Deleted ()Manage folders

Related places

Today

Contact list

Calendar

Privacy

New

|

Delete

Junk

Not junk

|

Mark as ▼

Unread

Read

Phishing scamMove to ▼

Inbox

Junk

Drafts

Sent

Deleted|

Empty

Help

Feedback

What's new

AboutOptions ▼

Language

English

Themes

Reading pane settings

Right

Bottom

Off

More options

Sort by ▼

Sort by

Date

From

Subject

Size

Show only messages

With attachments Mark Catchpole W481GCC Issues/2‏ Yesterday

Mark Catchpole W481GGC Issues‏ Yesterday

Windows Live Team Explore the new Messenger & Hotmail!‏ 09/02/2009

PistonHeads.com Jardine Motors Ex-Demonstrator Event‏ 03/02/2009

Lexus Owners Club You have a new personal message ( Lexus Owners Club )‏ 31/01/2009

Charnjit Biring RE: ‏ 23/01/2009

Lexus Owners Club You have a new personal message ( Lexus Owners Club )‏ 21/01/2009

Lexus Owners Club You have a new personal message ( Lexus Owners Club )‏ 18/01/2009

Lexus Owners Club You have a new personal message ( Lexus Owners Club )‏ 17/01/2009

Lexus Owners Club You have a new personal message ( Lexus Owners Club )‏ 12/01/2009

Windows Live Team Get the new messenger!‏ 10/01/2009

Lexus Owners Club You have a new personal message ( Lexus Owners Club )‏ 31/12/2008

Live Search Last few days to win!‏ 30/12/2008

Lexus Owners Club You have a new personal message ( Lexus Owners Club )‏ 30/12/2008

gary causton Emailing: unl-cdwu.nfo, unl-cdwu.rar, unl-cdwu.sfv‏ 27/12/2008

Lexus Owners club Lexus Owners Club - Payment Receipt‏ 24/12/2008

My Sky This December, enjoy some festive fun with Sky Games!‏ 24/12/2008

Lexus Owners Club You have a new personal message ( Lexus Owners Club )‏ 22/12/2008

Hotmail Member Services Fun new ways to use Hotmail, photos, and more‏ 18/12/2008

PistonHeads.com PistonHeads Show 2009 - A great stocking filler!‏ 18/12/2008

Live Search WIN ! John Lewis Vouchers with Big Snap II‏ 18/12/2008

Lexus Owners Club You have a new personal message ( Lexus Owners Club )‏ 15/12/2008

Lexus Owners Club You have a new personal message ( Lexus Owners Club )‏ 14/12/2008

Lexus Owners Club You have a new personal message ( Lexus Owners Club )‏ 13/12/2008

Lexus Owners Club You have a new personal message ( Lexus Owners Club )‏ 12/12/2008

362 messagesPage1234…15Reply

Reply all

Forward

Full view

W481GCC Issues/2‏

Sent: 12 February 2009 11:22:55

To: davereadlexus@hotmail.com

Cc:**************************************; Masaya Yumeda (HKS) (m.yumeda@hkseurope.com)

5 attachment(s)

Dave Read...JPG (277.3 KB), Dave Read...htm (12.1 KB), Dave Read...jpg (162.1 KB), Dave Read...jpg (216.1 KB), Dave Read...jpg (247.8 KB)

Dear Dave,

I am sorry, I forgot to attach the documents referred to in my previous email.

Please find them attached now.

Kind regards

Mark Catchpole

Motherwell Way

Thurrock

Essex RM20 3XD

www.tdi-plc.com

www.toda-europe.com

This document should only be read by those persons to whom it is addressed and is not intended to be relied upon by any person without subsequent written confirmation of it's contents. Accordingly, TDI PLC disclaim all responsibility and accept no liability (including in negligence) for the consequences for any person acting, or refraining from acting, on such information prior to the receipt by those persons of subsequent written confirmation.

If you have received this e-mail message in error, please notify us immediately. Please also destroy and delete the message from your computer and/or database. Any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification, distribution and/or publishing of this e-mail message is strictly prohibited.

No assurances are given that this mail and any attachments are free from any virus.

--Forwarded Message Attachment--

Sent: 19 October 2007 17:49

To: 'dave read'

Cc: Sam Borgman

Hi Dave,

During our phone conversation yesterday it became clear to me that previous discussions had either not been heard or fully understood so I thought it best to put the situation in writing to avoid any further misunderstandings.

We know that your objective is for around 400hp.

We are unable to guarantee that we can deliver 400hp because this is unknown territory, and you are the first person in the world to go this far along this route with this model of car.

We have selected a supercharger capable of producing in excess of 400hp, and are working to get as close to your objective as possible.

Installing this supercharger does not automatically mean that you will achieve 400hp because the supporting hardware on the engine and car may not be capable of 400hp.

To calculate the drive ratio of the supercharger requires an element of guesswork regarding the volumetric efficiency of the engine. We used a figure based on a realistic expectation.

Upon initial testing we found that the figure we had used for the volumetric efficiency was too low which meant that the boost pressure was also lower than expected.

This is a completely normal situation for this kind of work, and is classed as "development".

We did agree that you would take the car as it was then install a larger pulley if you wanted more power.

Today we have installed your original supercharger pulley which is very similar to the new size that we calculated to be necessary. We now have approximately 1.2 bar of boost pressure and the difference is already immediately apparent.

The supercharger will now be pretty much flat out and has no more room for improvement. Therefore any shortfalls in power are due to other factors.

This is a process of development, so you will need to decide how far you want us to go and how much you want to spend in chasing your objective.

The other issues you should consider are those of reliability and versatility. We will be at the point where nobody really knows if there will be problems such as head bolts or anything else at this level. We don't think there will be any issues but we don't know for sure because we haven't done this before. Additionally there will come a point where the "nature" of the Lexus will become compromised and it may become a monster. From our previous discussions I have been LED to believe that you don't want this to happen so we have also been working towards this. For example the standard air box is restricting power by around 10hp even at 0.8 bar so will become more restrictive at 1.2 bar. Dealing with this will make the engine extremely noisy. The complete exhaust system will also be reducing the power but I don't think you want to have a large bore noisy system. The standard camshafts are also a limiting factor.

So that the issue of power levels is clear, I can advise you that:

A standard is200 makes around 110hp at the hubs

A TTE supercharged is200 makes around 155hp at the hubs

Your stage 2 upgrade made 210hp at the hubs

The Rotrex at 0.8 bar made 243hp at the hubs

Unless you prefer otherwise, I think the best way forward is to decide whether you want to accept a compromise to retain as much of the pleasant road manners and keep the cost as low as possible, or if you want us to develop the car to extract as much power as possible regardless of any reliability, versatility and cost impacts.

We hope to know tomorrow what the final output is without further development, so you can then advise us what you prefer to do.

I am sorry to go over old ground but it is important to have a full understanding of the situation.

Thanks and best regards

Mark Catchpole

Motherwell Way

Thurrock

Essex RM20 3XD

www.tdi-plc.com

www.toda-europe.com

Dave Read - SPC.JPG

Dave Read Rototest Data Logging.jpg

Dave Read Rototest Performance Snapshot.jpg

Dave Read Rototest Raw Data.jpg

{0}

Mark as read

Mark as unread

Delete

Junk

Not junk

Print

View message source

© 2009 Microsoft Privacy Legal Help Central Account Feedback

A long but very interesting read.

And i must say some comments i agree with regarding SPC but i wont go into that.

I do feel he's right though Dave you should maybe take the car to Dyno power run at a place generally well known but at which you have no intention of having any work done. keep everyone happy then.

Stav

And i must say some comments i agree with regarding SPC but i wont go into that.

I do feel he's right though Dave you should maybe take the car to Dyno power run at a place generally well known but at which you have no intention of having any work done. keep everyone happy then.

Stav

Very interesting, and some of the comments about the cylinder Head are very true, even Steve from charlesworth motors has told Dave from prolex about his doughs about this :o

So lexlover001 is not a plumber :o i thought so :lol:

Stav

Very interesting, and some of the comments about the cylinder Head are very true, even Steve from charlesworth motors has told Dave from prolex about his doughs about this :o

Shhhh! its a secret :shutit:

Stav

Shhhh! its a secret :shutit:

Not anymore :lol:

I love this bit.....................

A standard is200 makes around 110hp at the hubs

A TTE supercharged is200 makes around 155hp at the hubs

Your stage 2 upgrade made 210hp at the hubs

The Rotrex at 0.8 bar made 243hp at the hubs

All the BS Mark was saying that its near 400bhp, now we know why he would not say about the fig's :D

A very very interesting read, I can't believe that all LOC members & moderating team were

taken in by the self described "plumber" and have been mislead & lied to :o

Maybe a dyno run at Abbey or another independant & well respected tuning house is in the

mini-monster's future ?

Either way, I for one want to wish Dave all the very best with his car for the future, and any further

tuning work he may/may not decide to have done.

It's a beast, and I love it !! Good on yer Dave :D :D :D

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links