Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Criminal Damage By The Law

ALI_1

i have tints on my lexus all round thay are dark but have seen much darker ones on cars anyways i get stopped by the same officer on the regular telling me to take them off last week he pulled me over again but this time keyed my driver side tint and goes next time i see you thay better be off surly he cant do that i went to the station and made a complaint basical it was my word against his is there anyting else i could do to take the matter further

i have tints on my lexus all round thay are dark but have seen much darker ones on cars anyways i get stopped by the same officer on the regular telling me to take them off last week he pulled me over again but this time keyed my driver side tint and goes next time i see you thay better be off surly he cant do that i went to the station and made a complaint basical it was my word against his is there anyting else i could do to take the matter further

From a certain police officiers previous post:

In any event, after the date of the amendment to Section 32, the owner of a vehicle that has window tints applied forward of the B-Post could be challenged by either a Police Officer or by an Inspector from the Department for Transport’s Vehicle Inspectorate, where their vehicle is noticed being driven on Public Roads.

Where such a vehicle is stopped and the window tints applied are such that the Visible Light Transmission level, when measured using an approved device falls to below prescribed levels, the following enforcement guidelines have been agreed with, and recommended, by the Government.

Above 30% Visible Light Transmission (Less Severe Window Tints)

The owner or driver of such a vehicle would be required to have the tinted film removed from the windows under the direction of either a Rectification Notice or a Delayed Prohibition Notice. A period of grace will apply for a limited number of days (normally ten) during which time the vehicle may be driven whilst the rectification work is to be completed.

In either case, the vehicle will need to be inspected by either a Police Officer or Vehicle Inspectorate Officer to confirm that the glass has been restored to a compliant condition. Prosecution is unlikely in such circumstances provided the vehicle owner complies fully.

Below 30% Visible Light Transmission (Excessively dark window tints)

The driver or owner of such a vehicle may be issued with an immediate Prohibition Notice and immediately prevented from driving the vehicle on public roads until the tints have been removed and either a Police Officer or Vehicle Inspectorate Office confirms that the glass has been restored to a compliant condition. It is also possible depending on the severity of the offence, that the owner may be prosecuted for driving a vehicle in a non-roadworthy or even dangerous condition with the potential for penalty points and a fine.

Sounds like your tints fall into the description in the last paragraph, so you probably got off with the easy option, even though it may not feel like it :whistling: .

how did he key it, surely the tint is on the inside.

anyway; If asked he would have to admit he pulled you over, if so you have got him a little bit because it backs up your story, if he denies it then at least you dont have to get them un-tinted as he has never told you about it!?

If the tints are "illegal" then they have to come off.

He is pi$$ed at you 'cos he has told you once without nicking you and now he has told you for a second time.

Now you have complained about him so he will be really pi$$ed.

I am not sticking up for him and he shouldn't have done what he did. But I can see his point of view.

I have a private reg. on my car which isn't strictly kosher and so far (2 years) I have had a couple of Old Bill that have tut-tutted at me but been okay So I appreciate that but at the end of the day it is ME who is in the wrong.

If you keep the tints on and he sees you again then he will definitely nick you and probably go around your car ,tyres,etc. with a fine tooth comb.

You "bend" the law ,you takes your chance!

geeza who put the tints on said that if i wanted he would give written proof that the tints are legal and was gobsmacked when i told him what happend and was told that police have a machine that can test the amount of light the tint lets through which "he didnt use/or have" now that the tints has been removed the actual glass has a scratch on it where the c*nt scratched it going to get some legal advice produced my documents at the station today

I certainly think the officer went about it the wrong way. C**ts like that give police officers a bad name. Id certainly seek legal advice and follow up any complaint you make at the police station.

Feel for you mate that sort of behaivour isn't on!

Not just in your case but i'm a beleiver that surely they must have better thing(s) to be doing with our tax paying time :tomato: My female friend who lives on her own with a 2 year old at the time was burgled a while back and waited 3 days petrified for the police to arrive no doubt this will offend but really!!!!

If the window tints are legal did he not give you the option to prove it 1st time round?

I don't understand the window tinter saying that the tints were legal......I thought it was illegal to have any tint at all on the front windows??

However, even if you were in the wrong, he should have just given you a warning, or a ticket, he had no right to scratch your glass so I totally agree you should fight it and have them replace the window

I don't understand the window tinter saying that the tints were legal......I thought it was illegal to have any tint at all on the front windows??

However, even if you were in the wrong, he should have just given you a warning, or a ticket, he had no right to scratch your glass so I totally agree you should fight it and have them replace the window

factory tints are perfectly legal . you could always get those .

he is ment to mesure the ammount of light that passes through over 25% loss of light and your in trouble

"Where such a vehicle is stopped and the window tints applied are such that the Visible Light Transmission level, when measured using an approved device falls to below prescribed levels, the following enforcement guidelines have been agreed with, and recommended, by the Government."

Although the officer may have been helping he has also not followed his forces own guidance, this sounds more like vigilate cop methods rather than a by the book guy...

Ask to have the officers eye calibration certificate displayed, im sure that will confuse and amuse.... in the end proof is needed, and without a calibrated light meter surely he cannot be the judge and jury...

Damage to property shouldnt not apply to police, like when they smash doors in then find they are in the wrong house....

although im sure if he felt that strongly that he would risk a slap on the wrists that your tints would hardly be described as a light smoke?